Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Went in a lotus elise s2 today

Old 09-04-2015, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went in a lotus elise s2 today

My god what a bag of bolts. Not sure how old it was, but wow how it rattles over every bump! Made the S feel like a rolls royce in comparison in terms of refinement. Passenger footwell consists of a sheet metal bracket for you to put your toes on. The rocker is absolutely huge, makes getting in and out a bit of a faff. It handled well but I don't think it was better enough than the S to justify how shite it felt to be in. I was looking at buying one once and I'm glad I didn't!

Just thought I'd share that with you.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:43 PM

I think you went into it with the wrong mindset, it's not a roadster so not something to compare against the S2000 imo.

The elise is a driver focused car, you don't buy it for refinement or toys, it's for one purpose but it can be driven on the road.

I did a trackday at Oulton Park in my old S2000 and someone I know took me out in their elise, it highlighted to me at the time how heavy and soft the S2000 was on track but for me it's the right compromise
Old 09-04-2015, 11:10 PM

Agree with the OP they are a complete tin can. I remember going round oulton in an exige and being shocked how cramped it was inside. The interior felt very sparse and the materials cheap. Way too raw for the road.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:04 AM
jml

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Tin can or Tupperware box ?
Old 09-05-2015, 02:24 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

It's actually refreshing to read a contrary opinion to the usual received-wisdom mindset. I'm rather an Elise fan, but there is an elephant of truth in what the OP says. Otherwise I'd probably drive an Elise too.

TBF to the car, it's been around for 20 years and so like the Caterham 7 before it, cannot be judged (thankfully!) by the standards of modern cars.

It's funny, I was only musing this morning that I'd like to see the new Elise, aka an Alfa 4C dun proper without the double crunch tranny or that rice blower on the engine. I'm concerned that the new S2000 will also fall into the latter category. Hopefully, Lotus still knows to utilise an old paddle blower, like all proper cars ought.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey81
I think you went into it with the wrong mindset, it's not a roadster so not something to compare against the S2000 imo.

The elise is a driver focused car, you don't buy it for refinement or toys, it's for one purpose but it can be driven on the road.

I did a trackday at Oulton Park in my old S2000 and someone I know took me out in their elise, it highlighted to me at the time how heavy and soft the S2000 was on track but for me it's the right compromise
I didn't get into it with any mindset really other than expecting it to handle well which it did. There was still noticeable body roll which surprised me but I felt like it was hard to concentrate on the driving experience when all you can hear is shaking and rattling like everything on the car is about to fall off. The interior space is ridiculous, I felt like I was hindering the driver's arm movement just by sitting in my seat!

I do think they are a nice looking purposeful car but I was just quite shocked by how rickety they were. After going out in one it's made me look at then in a very different way in terms of being a car I would like to own.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:24 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you must have been in a shit one.

I've had 2 S2 Exiges and they are very well screwed together with no rattles or shakes. The interior is minimal but all fine IMO.

I'm sure I will have another one day, they are fun at much lower speeds than you need to do in most cars.

[/quote]
Old 09-05-2015, 10:53 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Problem is, as a passenger, the noise and uncomfy thing is all you get to focus on. It really feels like being hurled about in an empty biscuit tin whilst strapped to a thin piece of foam.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:05 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Maybe it should be a bit bigger, with more cup holders, and sat nav, and electric seats, topped off with a TDI engine....

I love the things and they definitely fill a needed gap in the market between things like a Caterham and the S2000. Don't think I've driven a more exciting car on the road.

I drove mine to Spa then the Ring, trackdays at both, then drove home, which apart from road noise, was extremely comfortable. Those are some of the best seats I've sat in.

Still don't get the rattling noise comments at all though!
Old 09-05-2015, 11:09 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I loved the one i drove but the passenger experience was at total odds with the driver experience, for me at least. That said, it wasn't the drive that put me off, it was the entry / exit thing which is fine as long as you aren't t parked between two cars The problem was, for what i needed, the S2000 was just a better overall prospect and 6 years on, it was the right choice. Motorbikes are now filling the gap the Elise would have filled - they have the power to weight ratio to make use of the road space we are now left with.

This was an Elise though, don't think they are quite as well put together as the Exige?

Quick Reply: Went in a lotus elise s2 today