Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Westfield Caterham thoughts and resources...

Old 09-18-2009, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Westfield Caterham thoughts and resources...

On my return to the Uk I think I am going to get an estate and a weekend car and I am looking at caterfields but they are a bit of a nightmare spec wise!!

Westfields seem a fair bit cheaper used then Caterhams are they any good or should I be looking for a caterham?

Are bike engined cars a complete no no on the road? I assume so...

When Evo had a long term one they chose a R300 but they are still fairly pricey.

I suppose to cut a long story short if I am looking to spend between
Old 09-19-2009, 12:16 AM

Really depends a lot on what you're looking for and because they're all a bit different it's hard to talk in more than very general terms

In general the fit and finish on a Caterham is a little better than Westfield and quite a bit better than the others. On the other hand, you get a lot less for your money from a Caterham too.

Dynamically Westfield probably aren't the best (and that's not saying they're bad!). Personally I don't think Caterham have an advantage over some of the others either though (but I would say that because I've got one ) Any 7 type that's well setup will be in a completely different league from any one that's badly setup though. As a road car you'll comfortably be limited by what's sensible rather than what's possible anyway.

As for bike engines, some people can get on with them and some can't. They're brutally effective that's for sure. Personally I prefer a car engine as I feel the bike engine ones only really work when you're absolutely thrashing them. The rest of the time they're a pita.

Not especially helpful I know, but the best thing you can do is go and look at a few as there's so much variety and what's vitally important to you might be inconsequential to me or someone else. For example you'll probably get a V8 Westfield in budget - sounds fantastic, goes like stink but relatively heavy for a 7 so not quite the razor sharp handling you'd get from a 4-pot (but still in a different league from a 'normal' car). As a road car I think it'd be fantastic though!

I ended up with a RAW Striker that I built myself - I wanted the best handling machine I could get for my budget and mainly a track bias. It does that job very well, but it's got a fibreglass dashboard, no carpets and is generally a bit basic compared to Westfields, Caterhams and the like.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:02 AM

It is all pretty overwhelming! I can't help with the others I'm afraid as I bought a Caterham. My observation is that the Westie boys seem to be a bit more into fettling, modifying and messing around with their cars, and the Caterham people seem to be a bit more into the "classic" bit of Caterhams and although they do change bits, they tend to be a bit more subtle.

Huge generalisation obviously !

However the racers are a different story

I would recommend trying to get a test drive in a few different types of cars - I never considered bike engines but I did wonder about the big engine cars. When I test drove one I hated it, which made my mind up to look at the smaller engines. I ended up with a 1.6K Series Caterham Roadsport with a Superlight engine. However there are a million mod's and no two are ever the same (unless you buy a racer from a closed series).

I would suggest you decide what you want from it (primarily road, primarily track, or race), and then set a budget, then try to look/passenger/test drive a few.

There is a westfield forum (wscc I think?) and a Caterham forum (blatchat) although you have to pay to join up before you can post on the Caterham one

For your budget you'd get a pretty nice 7 fwiw
Old 09-19-2009, 02:31 AM

I had a Westie for 6 years before the S, only a 1660cc modified Kent engine producing around 120hp. I went for the Westie on price/spec but also at that time the Westie was the only one with a "wide body" option which was more comfortable for a fat get like me!!

I'd also go for independent rear suspension, and you don't need too much power to have fun, mine was well set up and a far purer handling car than the S. Got rid of mine cause it was so impractical, also above 65-70mph you really need a helmet due to wind buffeting and noise etc.

If you want a Westie I would suggest that you pick the features and spec you want and start looking around and test driving.......with the exception of factory built cars, build quality can vary dramatically.

The Westfield owners club is also a good place to lurk.

Regards

RR
Old 09-19-2009, 03:21 AM

I think a big engine in an ultra light car really goes against the whole ethos so I wouldn't be interested in one at all I don't think.

I may try a bike engine but I have a feeling that the compromises will be too much for road use.

So I guess that I should start looking at something with a "standard" k series or other small engine.

I am the king of the blown budget though when I bought the S I was aiming to spend 10 and spent 18k!

I was reading about the guy who dumped an S2000 engine in a westfield and that got me thinking also... He said that if he was going to do such a thing again he would do it with a duratec as there is much better support.

I am thinking maybe a low power car that I could undertake as a project to upgrade with a more modern engine at some point if it gets enough use might bean idea.

The other thing that strikes me is that it may be too impractical to use much and that I might be better buying within reason the cheapest I can find to see if I can live with it even as a second car.

Thanks
Old 09-19-2009, 04:01 AM

My god the engine options are a nightmare!! Looking at piston heads classifieds every car has a different engine it seems.

As far as I can see standard westies come with pinto zetec or duratec engines with the latter being the latest and greatest.

Caterhams seem to come with either the k series or the more modern sigma engines and finally the duratec at the high output end.

Is that about correct?

Should I really be aiming for either sigma or zetec motors?

There is a hell of a lot of reading to do!!
Old 09-19-2009, 04:15 AM

K Series is fine in a Caterham - there are 1400's, 1600's and 1800's of various versions! I don't fully understand it myself tbh.

In terms of practicality they are fine - I do know a couple of nutters who run them as their daily drivers, but that's why you need to decide what you want it for. An ex racer, or a track-biased car, is pretty horrid on the road. And a proper road-biased car isn't that great on the track (in comparison to a track biased one).

The modern Sigma is getting some mixed reviews, and apparently the K's of similar spec are quicker, but I don't know much about them (sigmas).

For your budget presumably a Sigma wouldn't fit? Although I haven't looked at prices of them. Maybe an ex-Academy car?

I don't think that many people tune the engines per-se, but there are lots of variations - different ECU's, dry sump's, apollo tanks, uprated pistons etc., even to the point that some cars will have the thermostat removed (usually racers/track cars), or no heaters, whereas others will have heated windscreens, heaters and radio's !!!!

So really, step 1, do you want it for weekend drives, to do a lot of miles in, or to drive to a track to track it
Old 09-19-2009, 07:01 AM

I love open top motoring so I will driive the car every day that I can. I am considering what the guy in Evo did which waas to buy yachting clothing for when it rains

I definately need something with a full wind screen and the best weather protection that you can get. It therfore needs to be a road biassed car.

It seems like if it is to be a caterham I want a roadsport and probably an sv (I am not fat but it probably makes getting in and outa bit easier?) and if it is a westfield it wants to be an SEiW.

I see that westfield are coming out with a turbo variant... here comes the over budget bit if I am not careful!!
Old 09-19-2009, 07:24 AM

I have driven an SV and I hated it, although I don't know if that was because it was a widebody or not, do you really need a wide body? There is a lot more room in them to be fair....

You can get a roof for them which keeps most of the water out (I have one in the garage), but I find it's your right leg which always gets wet. Plus my shins where water drips into the footwell

ANd your left leg gets hot against the tunnel and your feet cook....

Love it !

Also think about roll bars etc - at a minimum make sure you get an FIA roll bar/hoop whatever it's called. The factory one is useless and really only for show. Personally I would feel very exposed without a cage, and side impact protection bars. Not particularly expensive and you can still get in/out etc.

Waterproof clothing, sure if you really want to drive it in the rain, waterproof trousers and a jacket. Baseball caps blow off so tie it down somehow! Windscreen + Half doors is very very windy. Full doors better...

Open top motoring is very different in a 7 compared to most modern convertibles (the S, Z4 etc. etc.)

If you're tall consider a removable steering wheel which makes it easier to get in/out of. Also think about the seats - leather comfy ones, tillets, or something else.

Think of it like car-by-numbers - everything is changeable!

Re road vs track I meant in the setup - I'm not an expert in the slightest, but tyres, stiffness and brakes can make a huge difference.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:38 AM

Thiis sounds like great fun

I have seen soe with no side windows and wind deflector things on the side of the windscreen, do you have any experience with them? I spoke to a guy who had a kit car years ago and he swore by them, said they deflected all of the wind behind you...

I am not very tall but I fancy the wide body for the extra "boot" space as much as anything. If I could squeeze a weekend bag into the car then it would help a lot.

What engine/spec did you get and have you any regrets?

Cloth seats sound like a bad idea just in terms of them getting wet so leather it will have to be I think, mind you they will get hot in the sun if they are black!

Something like this looks good to me: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1188658.htm

Quick Reply: Westfield Caterham thoughts and resources...