Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Adjust clutch pedal

Old 02-15-2010, 04:58 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Thumbs up Adjust clutch pedal

How do adjust the clutch pedal on the S2000? I can wriggle myself under the steering wheel, and I see the 14mm and 12mm locknuts, but I can't figure out how to change anything?

I want to take some slack out of the rod to the firewall. How? Do I just loosen the 12mm locknut and turn the rod? Any trick to easily doing this?
Old 02-15-2010, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you've already seen, there is a plunger that is connected to the clutch pedal. There is two levels of free play, free play in the master cylinder, and free play the exists between the plunger and the cylinder of the master cylinder; the goal is to remove the free play between the plunger and the cylinder.

Applying just a small amount of force, using your hand, to the clutch pedal, you will notice some free play between the plunger and contact with the cylinder of the master.

To adjust loosen the jam nut located at the clevis at the pedal. Turn the rod until the free play between the plunger and cylinder is removed. The free play in the cylinder should still exist.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:30 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry5234269
ONLY ATTEMPT THIS, IF YOU CAN MANAGE TO DO IT YOURSELF
Because you are going to have to try this at least like 5 times to get it where you like it. I did mine mayb 10 times, since im very picky about little details... hehe

anyways
1. Loosen the 12mm nut, one with the red arrow
2. Adjust the clutch height (Blue arrow):
Turn the rod until you get the right clutch height you want.
3. Adjust clutch free play:
HOLD the clutch (don't let it move up and down) and slowly move the rod left and right to adjust clutch free play. This should be about an 1"
4. DO NOT move the rod. and slowly tighten the nut back on.
5. Test drive, and readjust if you need to

It's going to take quiet a few try to get it where you like it, so dont be frustrated
Old 02-15-2010, 05:39 PM

Thanks - just what I needed, but I also noticed weeping from my master cylinder, so I'm going to replace it first and see if that fixes my issues.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Feb 15 2010, 10:39 PM
Thanks - just what I needed, but I also noticed weeping from my master cylinder, so I'm going to replace it first and see if that fixes my issues.
can you snap a pic of that? I am curious to see what it looks like..
Old 02-15-2010, 08:08 PM

I'll see about getting a pic. If you look at the firewall where the master cylinder pokes through, you'll see wetness around the rod that connects to the clutch pedal.

Any wetness at all is a sign of a bad master cylinder, and mine is definitely bad.

I need a good shop in Raleigh that can replace it.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:26 AM

Try doing it yourself and save some cash. No more than 30 minutes and some reaaaaally basic tools. I would say probably an hour though if it's your first time doing it since half the time is spend analyzing and being super cautious about removing 3 bolts.

Don't forget to bleed the clutch slave cylinder.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:00 AM

Yeah I'm not a fan of squeezing under the sterring wheel, but I think I'll just do it. Ordered the part this morning for about $90 shipped.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:31 AM

Yea I replaced my master cylinder....it was really just as easy as an oil change. Im sure there is a diy on the forums somewhere....
Old 02-16-2010, 07:27 AM

i adjusted mine about 5 months ago and its alot better now... no play at all. tool me about 10 tries to get it perfect for me, well worth an hour of being cramped up in the floorboard.

Quick Reply: Adjust clutch pedal