Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Anyone in the RTP area have experience installing a HardDog Rollbar?

Old 07-27-2019, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone in the RTP area have experience installing a HardDog Rollbar?

Going to order the HardDog Double Diagonal w/ Lowered Harness Bar + CBAR replacement here soon, was wondering if anyone in the RTP area (i'm in South Durham) has done this themselves? I already took out the interior and read through the rest of the instructions and it seems pretty straight forward, but I wouldn't mind a second set of eyes helping make sure everything is lined up and spot checking me while I make the wheel well cuts. Will provide pizza and beer
Old 07-27-2019, 05:15 PM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Pinky might be able to help.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:07 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I did it, by myself, in my driveway (the first time). Pretty straightforward. Biggest issue is having the right tool to cut the "slits" in the rear fender wells.
I often tell folks with really nice cars to NOT put in a roll bar, it does "ruin" the car with those cuts, go find a beater, salvage, rebuilt to turn into a track-only-car.
I used a drill (corner holes) and sawzall (to connect them) which worked but wasn't ideal. I think others have used cut-off tools more effectively.
Getting the bolts to thread into the plates (alignment) was the other tricky part.
I'm also one of the anti-roll-bar-police for people who drive their car on the street. The roll bar is more likely to kill you in an insignificant accident when you DON'T have your helmet on than to protect you from a roll-over. Unfortunately, most tracks won't let you on without one. Back to the track only car and then keep a nice one for the street. I have a super sweet '07, aka "the girl you take home to introduce to your mother" and also now have a '02 for the track, "a whore side chick" for track days.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a dremmel with metal cutting blades to remove 2 square inches of metal when patching a small rust spot earlier this year, so I am pretty comfortable with that. Alignment is the only thing I am worried about but I can take it slow if I can't find anyone who's done it to help. Did you drill from the interior to line it up?

It's not my only vehicle but at the same time it's not going to be a track only car or I would just cage it. I am going to get it wrapped in padding and in conjunction with Recaro's on bc rails (not going to wear a harness on the street, I know thats suicide without a HANS so I am retaining the stock seat belts) so my head will be no where near that bar. I don't necessary agree that a roll over is less rare than a rollbar sustained injury considering the number of street s2000/Miatas running them, the handful of rollbar accidents I have seen, and the plenty of roll over events I have seen, which is a larger concern at my height on stock seats/stock hoops. Plus as you said you can't get on track most places with out them. I get the concern though and it's good to point that out to people so they know what they are getting into.

Thanks!