Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Bittersweet (New tires came in)

Old 10-07-2003, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bittersweet (New tires came in)

Today the day started on a high note. I got a call from Colony Tire to say that they
finished mounting the new tires on my new wheels.

Wheels: 17" Integral GT1 SSR (powder coated black)
Tires: Azenis Sport 225/45 front and 245/45 back.

I went to work (doing part time consulting for about two weeks now) and all I could
think was of those wheels. 12:30 came really slowly.. it was the longest 5 hours of my life (or at least it felt that way ).

I picked the wheels up in my wife's Civic... it was a bit of a struggle! and went to Pep Boys to pick up a hydraulic jack ($29) and an impact tool (they don't have any). Then I was on my way
to swap the wheels on the U-boat.

Just look at those wheels/tires.... they are so gorgeous.... and the tread... I think I am in love!!!

I try to get started and then WTF?? The jack does not fit under the car!!!. The car is about 1/9th of an inch too low for the jack. So I had to use th OEM jack and lift the car enough so that the new jack would fit. Did this twice for the fronts. For the back I just put the jack on the transmission hub (good or bad? Dunno, I was too excited to think of the consequences!) because the jack supports on the back are not wide enough to put both jacks on at the same time (unlike the front).

Once the wheels were on the car took on a bit of a 'RX-8' look due to the tires being wider than stock...

Now it was time for a test drive... I was with a friend and he needed to go vote so I offered to give him a ride (nice mix of city/highway driving ). I threw the tools in the boot and drove off. I heard a noise but though it was just the tools moving around.

On the way back from the voting station I heard the noise twice more but this time it was loud and clear: One of the wheels was rubbing against something when taking tight turns or going into/out of driveways!!

We got back and checked all four wheels and sure enough the two rears had markings where they rub aginst the inside of the fenders......

This is bittersweet, I love the wheel/tire combo but the rubbing.... is so sad....

I will make a few calls tomorrow. Hopefully something can be worked out since the tires were
special ordered and carry a re-stocking fee.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

New wheels look yummy on the U-Boat .

Damn shame about the tires rubbing. Seeeeeeerious tread on those shoes!
Old 10-07-2003, 05:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man that sux

Now I'm scared to go off stock with something that someone has not already tried.

If they are rubbing, do NOT take them to the track, you don't want a failure
Old 10-07-2003, 06:15 PM

Just got of the phone with Bryan (Sc_highlander). He is in the process of getting the same setup (Azeni's on 17") so we exchanged ideas about this.

I have a checklist of things to try so we'll see what happens:

1. Overinflation: shot in the dark but who knows..
2. Spacer on the wheels: I did not see a really obvious spacer but I did notice that the hub area of the wheels is considerably wider than the stock wheels (about twice as wide).
3. Change the camber: This may depend on how much it is rubbing (will check again tomorrow - was too dark today)
4. Post on the tire forum... Bryan is sure someone else on this board has already tried this setup (that is where we got the idea).
5. Bang head against wall until the wheels magically stop rubbing... :-)

If none of those work then I may have to pay the re-stocking fee. I got this wheels from another member so I know they fit, maybe just with different tires.....
Old 10-07-2003, 06:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Soooooo sorry to hear that. I had planned on going with azenis for my 17's too... <sigh>
Old 10-07-2003, 07:39 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uuummm, Diego. . .

Did you buy these rims from FF2Skip? They look like my old SSR GT1's that I bought from Rick Hesel a few months ago (nearly a year ago now).

Just curious. They look good and remind me of my old set.

Old 10-07-2003, 08:04 PM

If its not that major you can roll the rear fender a bit. I did this and there is no visible evidence of his at all unless you look from the inside. Good old baseball bat does the trick quite well

Yes, its def unerving taking a bat to the car but hey, its an old trick that works
Old 10-08-2003, 02:23 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by airgate
Uuummm, Diego. . .
Old 10-08-2003, 02:24 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by docofmind
If its not that major you can roll the rear fender a bit.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cashout

Quick Reply: Bittersweet (New tires came in)