Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Buy a new house they said.......

Old 09-10-2014, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J-Speed Inc.
I'm scheduled to close on my first house at the end of this month. I'm trying to work it so I can stay at my current apartment until the end of Oct which will give me some time to make the transition easier. I'm thinking I want to paint the interior and drywall the garage. The previous owner already insulated everything in the garage including the garage doors, however, he never put up drywall. As for painting, there are a few rooms with "less than tasteful" color choices so I'd like to make everything uniform. Figure all of this would be easier without having to move my stuff around.

I also realized that I seem to plan many things at the same time when it comes to important life decisions: I moved to Raleigh, took my bike to the Dragon and started a new job all in the same week! This time it'll be close on the house, take the car to CMP that weekend and then start house fixing.

Anybody like pizza and beer in exchange for painting?
Selling a house is much easier when all of the rooms have neutral colors (even if they're all the same color throughout). We bought our first house and painted all 3 bedrooms. Made it much easier to sell (knock on wood! our closing is scheduled for late September!). It's also easier to sell with a finished garage (doesn't have to be painted, but insulated AND drywalled is what's important).

FYI drinking and painting DO NOT GO TOGETHER lol. Take my advice haha.

Oh and also, when drywalling the garage if there are large sections underneath a set of stairs or just a gap between rooms, drawall into them in case you want to put in a garage fridge/freezer. That's what our previous owners did. It looked a little awkward but it was GREAT for storage and also looked great with a fridge in the slot
Old 09-10-2014, 10:14 AM

You're probably right, it'll make me lose the motivation to paint and focus on drinking tasty beers.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:27 AM
Community Organizer

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

You're probably right, it'll make me lose the motivation to paint and focus on drinking tasty beers.
Paint THEN..........Pizza and beer.

I would like to help but I started this thread and so I have my hands full. If I could I would gladly help I have drywall stilts so I can cut in ceilings like nobody's business.

Tip......get good brushes and good paint. It's worth it!
Old 09-10-2014, 10:44 AM

No I meant it makes your careless and slop paint on to finish up quickly and you will inevitably have paint droplet on your carpet or hardwood lol. And or you won't remember the paint tray behind you after taking care of a wall and woops... shoe in the bucket lol.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:35 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I will never pretend to be an S2000 expert, but I know about painting houses! I can paint two coats on the walls (not trim or cutting-in) of a 1200 sqft house in an afternoon. My trick is a Wagner paint stick. It's like a giant syringe with roller where the needle should be. Advantages: you can paint 5-10 linear feet (depending on coverage) of wall before refilling. The roller is dry when you take it off the wall and refill it. The roller in only wet when it's against the wall, so there are less drips. (Still need drop cloths for spatter). Last, it can reach ~15 ft up without a ladder.

It's not good if you plan to paint every room a different color because cleanup is longer and wastes some paint (~1pt). But if you are painting several rooms this is super quick and doesn't require expensive tools and skills like spray painting.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:06 PM

Cool I'm totally going to buy that for my next house lol. Stickied.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Will can I hire you to come paint my garage? Lol.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:28 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm scheduled to close on my first house at the end of this month. I'm trying to work it so I can stay at my current apartment until the end of Oct which will give me some time to make the transition easier. I'm thinking I want to paint the interior and drywall the garage. The previous owner already insulated everything in the garage including the garage doors, however, he never put up drywall. As for painting, there are a few rooms with "less than tasteful" color choices so I'd like to make everything uniform. Figure all of this would be easier without having to move my stuff around.

I also realized that I seem to plan many things at the same time when it comes to important life decisions: I moved to Raleigh, took my bike to the Dragon and started a new job all in the same week! This time it'll be close on the house, take the car to CMP that weekend and then start house fixing.

Anybody like pizza and beer in exchange for painting?
Congrats Josh! Btw...Im game for pizza/beer for painting gig
Old 09-11-2014, 03:47 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
Will can I hire you to come paint my garage? Lol.
Normally, I'd have a smart-a$$ reply, but knowing your wizardry with the S, maybe we can do some horse trading.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:15 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I used a standard roller with an extendable handle to do my garage, took me maybe an hour. It's far from perfect and I only used the roller - the corners are bare for about 1" in both directions, but hell it's a garage.

Bonus tip: Choose a fairly reflective finish to bounce more light around the garage!

Quick Reply: Buy a new house they said.......