Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Carolinas Autox and Trackday Dates

Old 07-14-2015, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a bit of a curve ball yesterday. I replaced all my suspension bushings with race bushings from powerflex. Also replaced both front wheel bearings and had ARP extended wheel studs pressed into the new hubs. I had the machine shop take off and retorque the wheel bearing nuts as part of the bearing replacement. Out of this whole project, those are the only two nuts that I did not turn myself, and I'm pretty sure one of them was not torqued down, which I found out from terrible noises during a test drive. My front rotor (a fancy stoptech one) is ruined from rubbing on the steering tie rod end. The newly pressed in bearing is likely ruined as well.

Since I've only got three days between now and track time, I've got to have a shop take off the front knuckle, press out the old bearing, press in a new one, replace the rotor ring, and then bolt everything back up. This loose nut is likely going to cost me at least $800. Even more if I miss the track time. Bummer.

This is why I do all my own work. I will be buying a press as soon as I get a place with a garage so I don't have to trust someone else to do this.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:10 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Hate to hear about it but that's the root cause of me hitting the wall in T11 at VIR last year. Make sure you didn't lose the ABS tone ring as well. That's like $55 from Honda.
My harbor freight press was like $100. Still need to make sure you torque them properly yourself...which is a bastard of a job. I've had them back out even after >242lb-ft was applied and staked per the manual. Now, I just check them often.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:24 PM

Just checked and there are 12 (!) s2k's registered for this weekend at VIR. Most I've seen at an event by FAR!
Old 07-14-2015, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by bobby.is.rad
Got a bit of a curve ball yesterday. I replaced all my suspension bushings with race bushings from powerflex. Also replaced both front wheel bearings and had ARP extended wheel studs pressed into the new hubs. I had the machine shop take off and retorque the wheel bearing nuts as part of the bearing replacement. Out of this whole project, those are the only two nuts that I did not turn myself, and I'm pretty sure one of them was not torqued down, which I found out from terrible noises during a test drive. My front rotor (a fancy stoptech one) is ruined from rubbing on the steering tie rod end. The newly pressed in bearing is likely ruined as well. Since I've only got three days between now and track time, I've got to have a shop take off the front knuckle, press out the old bearing, press in a new one, replace the rotor ring, and then bolt everything back up. This loose nut is likely going to cost me at least $800. Even more if I miss the track time. Bummer. This is why I do all my own work. I will be buying a press as soon as I get a place with a garage so I don't have to trust someone else to do this.
Sorry that happened. I lost track time and money because of a mechanic that didn't torque axle bolts properly. Now I have a lift and won't trust a shop unless I have too.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by InsaneSp
Pete you should work towards a comp license just for the hell of it. My car (and driver) is too fat to be competitive at nationals but I'd rather gain the experience and come back next year with a more prepped car than miss out. Seriously the most fun I've had on track is w2w.
I'm not even sure where to start. Seems like time is the big restriction for me.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by InsaneSp
Just checked and there are 12 (!) s2k's registered for this weekend at VIR. Most I've seen at an event by FAR!
That's crazy!!
Old 07-15-2015, 12:38 PM

Ill be out there in the S2000 this weekend.

The good news is that the wheel bearing was fine. I had put the offset ball joint on backwards and it was pulling the brake rotor in to contact with itself.

The bad news is that I'm an idiot, obviously.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:43 PM

Anyone hitting up CCR SCCA July 25 at ZMax? Hope to make it out. Trying to find a wheel/tire combo. Been reading for hours on here. Picked up some 17x9 +45 RPF1s with gently used 255 Star Specs. Went to get fenders rolled, and they did the rear - didn't touch the front. Looks like that is nowhere close to where I need to be.

Guy at the shop said if I get higher offset (+63) I should be able to fit that meat then. So, considering selling the RPF1s and getting possibly some TRMotorsport C3s.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:49 PM

I could possibly be interested in trading a set of TRM C3's plus cash for those RPF1's. PM me if interested!
Old 07-17-2015, 06:12 PM

Dang I wish I could be at VIR this weekend, seems pretty awesome. I will be at NJMP on the weekend after next though, if you any of you guys are going that'd be sick.

Quick Reply: Carolinas Autox and Trackday Dates