Carolinas A Better Place to Be

DIY Race Splitter Help/Day?

Old 05-30-2017, 03:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DIY Race Splitter Help/Day?

Does anyone have experience buliding/fabricating race splitters with chassis mounts? I'm looking at buiding one sometime this year and was wondering if anyone had experience.

if there is interest from others, it may be worth while for a group event since reproducing a stack shouldn't be too much more work once the templates are built.

Thoughts/suggestions/help?
Old 06-01-2017, 03:26 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I originally ran the Wasp CF splitter but when I built the car for Honda Challenge I had to remove it. Rules stipulated at the time that the front splitter could not extend more than 1.5" beyond the body at any point when viewed from above, and the Wasp was right at 3.5" and followed the CR lip profile. At that point I pulled the Wasp and used it as a template for a plywood copy that was in compliance with the 1.5" rule. For 2017 the rules changed to just 1.5" measured at the centerline - the profile no longer mattered. By this point my plywood version was starting to warp from weather and the occasional agricultural trip, so I brought the Wasp back out and just trimmed the back side so I could slide the entire unit towards the rear of the car and meet the 1.5" rule.

Long story short, yes I've got experience installing/building chassis mounted splitters. If I didn't have the Wasp, I'd build one out of Alumalite to keep it weatherproof and lightweight.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:24 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

In addition to material,..
To Stephen's point, you ever intend to race your car, be sure to check the rules and use a template for your car. AP1, AP2, and CR all have a different front bumper cover. I believe the NASA rules changed so that the splitter cannot extend 1.5" beyond the foremost point of the car (not necessarily follow the contour of the leading edge.) Verify for yourself.

I do not race my car, but I occasionally flirt with the idea, so I keep my mods within NASA Honda Challenge rules for three reasons. 1) I don't want to un-modify it to be compliant if I ever go that route [time&money]. 2) I don't want to train to the limits of a 'stronger' setup then race it with a downgraded setup [safety]. 3) I like to compare my lap times against racers' times, and if I'm 'cheating' the comparisons are invalid [benchmarking].

In summary, if you want to race, try to find the correct template or create one within the rules. Which front bumper cover does your car have?
Old 06-01-2017, 07:54 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I actually have my plywood template available for tracing, but in NC though.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by will010100
In addition to material,..
To Stephen's point, you ever intend to race your car, be sure to check the rules and use a template for your car. AP1, AP2, and CR all have a different front bumper cover. I believe the NASA rules changed so that the splitter cannot extend 1.5" beyond the foremost point of the car (not necessarily follow the contour of the leading edge.) Verify for yourself.

I do not race my car, but I occasionally flirt with the idea, so I keep my mods within NASA Honda Challenge rules for three reasons. 1) I don't want to un-modify it to be compliant if I ever go that route [time&money]. 2) I don't want to train to the limits of a 'stronger' setup then race it with a downgraded setup [safety]. 3) I like to compare my lap times against racers' times, and if I'm 'cheating' the comparisons are invalid [benchmarking].

In summary, if you want to race, try to find the correct template or create one within the rules. Which front bumper cover does your car have?
AP1 with OEM lip.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
I actually have my plywood template available for tracing, but in NC though.
I actually go up to Chapel Hill 1-2 weekends a month. I'll be up there 9-10 Jun. My wife is in a psychologist training program up in Chapel Hill so I need up hanging out with the 3 year old going to the South Point Mall, Durham Children museum and Raleigh history/science museum. I actually went and checked out Chassis Performance (or Dynamic) once.

How is it mounted? What is the setup?
Old 06-02-2017, 04:01 AM

I covered the build in this thread: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/carolina...-home-1117636/

But I used the radiator mounting points and then all the front bumper bolt points. Held perfectly fine at 130mph
Old 06-15-2017, 06:54 AM

RedCelica,

thanks for letting me trace ur splitter and all the other help.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by usafstud
RedCelica,

thanks for letting me trace ur splitter and all the other help.
Was nice to meet you, man, thanks for stopping by!
Old 06-15-2017, 12:31 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Brett is a great help and fun.

Last edited by will010100; 06-15-2017 at 04:22 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY Race Splitter Help/Day?