Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Going E85/Flex Fuel

Old 07-30-2014, 07:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Alright, finally progress has been made! I got all the wiring done this evening. Routed the sensor wire through the engine bay and into the cabin, spliced/soldered/heat shrink wrapped all the connections, and did my best at organizing/zip tying everything up.

I put some Velcro on the underside of the dash panel to the lower-left of the steering wheel and the mating Velcro on the back of the Zeintronix gauge. Now I can keep it up under the dash all the time but pull it down to look at it whenever I want. It worked out really well.

The gauge was reading that I had a 10% ethanol content in my current fuel (which is the maximum limit for standard pump gas) and that my gas was 29°C (84°F) so I assume all is reading correctly.

Plugged up my laptop to my Haltech ECU and set up the appropriate input channels to pull in the Ethanol percentage. It was reading right at 10% ethanol as well as it should. While I was in there I finally adjusted my coolant temp settings to match the Modifry ECT settings versus the goofy OEM settings.

So the last step will be getting down to see Ben and actually having this thing tuned on E85 and set up for flex fuel. Hopefully by the end of August I'll be burnin' the corn juice!!!

Not many pictures of today's stuff; kinda boring to see. Here's a shot of the rats nest that is my ECU area now. This shows why I'm a mechanical engineer and not an electrical engineer.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:21 AM
Community Organizer

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Scotch-locks..........ahhh my eyes!!! NO NO NO Nooooooo....
Old 07-31-2014, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Pinky
Scotch-locks..........ahhh my eyes!!! NO NO NO Nooooooo....
LOL! I know, I know. I have a much nicer industrial-grade terminal junction that I wanted to replace that crappy splice connector with, but it requires that all three wire ends be facing the same way, and there is not enough slack in the OEM wiring for me to pull one of the wire ends around. That's the only one in the car, I was able to get to all the other junctions and have enough wire slack to solder them in instead. Its for the air pump simulator which doesn't matter on the Haltech ECU anyway, so whatever.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:25 AM
Community Organizer

^^^ Ok. I was just messing with ya. It's one of those things that they sometimes work fine FOR EVER and other times they don't. Long as it's not a critical item then it's no big to you which is good.

Thanks for posting the thread. Very cool.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:28 AM

The first time I discovered them I thought they were awesome! You mean I've been wasting all this time and effort in stripping wires and soldering them together?!? And the first time I used them I thought, "This is great! So easy!"

But when I started the car up and realized the CEL was still on for the air pump, then discovered that 4 out of 5 of the connectors had no connectivity, I realized they are pieces of crap, haha. If you forcefully pull the wires around inside the connectors you can get some to work right, but its just not worth the hassle.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! Saw that type of setup on the latest Mighty Car Mods 11 second Subaru build. Never knew they had sensors like that, but it makes sense on OEM flex fuel vehicles. This type of upgrade will definitely make life easier as far as fuel choices go.

And yes we are spoiled in SC in the fuel department I just filled up on premium the other day for $2.89. Granted that was with 46 cents of fuel perks from Bi-Lo, but it still felt nice haha.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Community Organizer

If you ever do DIY house work and need to do plumbing work with water look into "shark bites" or similar version. Same reaction as first time user to Scotch Locks but these actually work!
Old 08-03-2014, 07:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now if you get caught with a open bottle of Vodka the officer can watch you pour it in your tank as you tell him it just an octane booster.

Also I bet dollars to donuts that Modifry rev limiter is not working cuz of those same connectors, Modifry always supplies them with their kits, I guess cuz they are easy.

Lastly from what I can tell if you use Hondata FlashPro for your 06 and greater tuning solution you are out of luck as Flex fuel goes. Anybody know of a some kind of piggy back device that you can use with FlashPro to input the E85 sensor?

guess I just need to go to Meth Injection instead or sell the FlashPro and go to AEM.

Anyway good work there CoolGuy, keep us posted after the tune.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:23 PM

Thanks guys. Tune date is set for 8/16.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:22 PM

Pumped about the tune date this weekend. Gonna be hot and humid in Wilmington on Saturday but hopefully that 5 feet above sea level elevation will help get me to where I want to be, lol.

Quick Reply: Going E85/Flex Fuel