Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Looking to sell my S. Been sitting for a long time need help

Old 06-22-2020, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to sell my S. Been sitting for a long time need help

Hey guys. I have a 2006 Sebring Silver with around 60k miles, OEM hardtop. It’s been sitting for close to 4 years. It’s been in a garage for the last 3 or so. It may start but haven’t tried and I’m sure it’s unsafe to drive since it’s been sitting for so long( old gas, brakes, etc). I’m located in Charlotte NC and am looking to have the car towed to a shop to Completely go through it and get it back to running condition. From there will likely sell it or have a dealer consign for me. I was wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction as far as shop to take to as I am ready to part ways with the S. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should definitely sell the hardtop separatetly if the soft top is in good condition
Old 06-22-2020, 07:20 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Why's it been sitting for so long ? What are you trying to get out of it vs. what do you think you're going to have to put into it? The market is good but it sounds to me like you're out $$ at a shop and if you don't sell it on your own there's even more money you're out. Throw it up here as-is and just tell the other enthusiasts in the group where you're at.

I bought my first AP1 after it sat for a while. I wound up changing the Vtec solenoid, radiator, driveshaft, and a lot of other little things. IT might be more of a headahce than the extra money you'd make from going over it and consigning it.

Hard Tops are going for crazy money. I know, I've been looking.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:10 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As far as shop recommendations, I went to Asia Works this past weekend in Charlotte, who specialize in Hondas and Acuras. I took my Civic there though, so I haven't been there with my S, but judging by their website, it looks like they have experience with them as well.

Based on my one experience, I was pretty happy with them. I think their Tryon St. location closed down though but the Scaleybard one is probably closest to you anyways. I would think it wouldn't be too expensive to have them do fluid changes and look it over depending on what it needs, although draining the gas tank and cleaning it might be the biggest cost laborwise depending on how much gas was left in it.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:30 AM
Community Organizer

Received 91 Likes on 76 Posts

Wish you were closer to me, I am in Chapel Hill...........I would go through it for you and make sure she was 100%. If the gas level wasn't completely full or essentially completely empty it might be a little problematic for treating/clearing the tank.

If she starts and can get running ok, tires aren't cracking they might just be flat spotted but I wouldn't say for certain it's unsafe to drive. Gas and engine oil would be the only items that wouldn't be the best immediately.(diff, trans, brake, clutch fluids should be ok for a little driving around to get from A to B)
Old 06-23-2020, 07:55 AM

Thanks for the quick responses everyone. Going by Asia works this afternoon to talk to them. I haven’t decided if I will sell hardtop separate or not. Roughly what are hard tops selling for these days? I have a GT-R now and have been out of the game for a while now.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:04 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, OEM hardtops are going for way more than I expected. Looks like $4k or so depending on the condition and what hardware you have (at least that's what asking price is around). So +1 on selling it separately if you can.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a couple of hours south, in Greenville, SC, if you're still looking for someone to do the work. I've got a truck and trailer and can come get it if needed. Let me know if you're interested in discussing it.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:13 AM

Hi. I'm in Charlotte and I'm interested in buying an S2000. Please let me know if your car is for sale.

I strongly recommend Compact Car Service on Independence. Honda and Acura only. I've been a regular customer there for close to 30 years. I'd trust my mother to them. I'd trust your mother to them. Ask for Keith or Randy.

Hope to hear from you.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:57 PM

I am in the market for a s2000 and wouldn’t mind something like this, “as-is” if we can work something out. You can PM me. If the soft top is good I don’t mind separating the hard top from it.

Last edited by Contagious; 09-05-2020 at 11:02 PM.