Carolinas A Better Place to Be

NC S2K Autocross Chat - NCR/Triad/Tarheel

Old 04-12-2010, 08:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NC S2K Autocross Chat - NCR/Triad/Tarheel

*** Moderators: This is a local NC chat thread please don't move this to the racing forum ***

Hi All, My name is Aaron and I'm a very active (be-it new to the area) autocrosser. I've met a lot of great people at the local events and I'd like a place to chat so I created this thread. I live in Raleigh and I travel all over the area to race with several different organizations including: NCR, Triad, Tarheel, and NASA Mid-Atlantic.

If you are local and you are interested in learning about or coming to local events please feel free to join in and discuss. If you are one of the folks I've already lost to, jump on in.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:59 AM

I had an awesome time yesterday at Cherry Point. So far this is the best venue I've raced on since I left PA and I can't wait for the next two events here. The area was HUGE and though the surface conditions weren't 100% ideal, it was good enough to be really fun.

I hung out with Matt in one of the two Sazuka Blue S2000's most of the day and I was winning our little side competition until the second half of the day. Matt, what did you end up with? My best run would have been great if I didn't hit that cone: 54.450 +1
Old 04-12-2010, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha mine was a slow in comparison with a 55.8XX but i still beat you and thats what matters, lol
Old 04-12-2010, 01:59 PM

Just in case anyone wasn't aware and is interested. . .

Triad will be at the Old Sanford Airport this Saturday and Sunday. Saturday is a 'CrossTrial' event while Sunday is a normal autocross event. The CrossTrial is a lot of fun but we cannot allow novices as the speeds are generally a bit faster than normal. But please everyone feel free to come out on Sunday.

Sanford is one of my favorite places to race as it's very large and can really get the speeds up near the top of 2nd gear for more than just a second or two.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:22 PM

Hi Corbra Ti, Were you at the last Triad event? I do recall seeing a white S2K - got to love that color.

I am planning on attending (and have pre-registered). Are you running BStock?
Old 04-12-2010, 03:24 PM

Also, CobraTi, have you been to this venue before? What's the actual surface like? My tires are, well... let's just say finished, so I'm hoping it's not nearly as tire-shredding as Cherry Point.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Karl (Krshultz) is like the Don Corleone of THSCC.

If you are lucky, he will visit your thread, but some day, and that day may never come, he will call upon you to do him a service in return. Until that day, consider this justice a gift from my wife, your daughter's godmother.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CobraTi,Apr 12 2010, 05:59 PM
Just in case anyone wasn't aware and is interested. . .

Triad will be at the Old Sanford Airport this Saturday and Sunday. Saturday is a 'CrossTrial' event while Sunday is a normal autocross event. The CrossTrial is a lot of fun but we cannot allow novices as the speeds are generally a bit faster than normal. But please everyone feel free to come out on Sunday.

Sanford is one of my favorite places to race as it's very large and can really get the speeds up near the top of 2nd gear for more than just a second or two.
I am sooooo there.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:45 PM

At Cherry point I was hitting the 2nd gear rev limit in the first section and even tried third on one run. It seemed holding at rev limit worked best for me. Not sure about AP1s though. Matt, what was your take? Ever hit top of second?
Old 04-12-2010, 05:00 PM

Yup, I was at the last Triad event a few weeks ago and run in the pro class with Triad (BS since I found some used tires to throw on. . .took me a run or two to remember just how much I can get away with on race tires vs the streets I used the 2nd half of last year).

I've never been to Cherry Point so I can't compare. The pavement at Sanford isn't bad. . .a few sections are actually sealed which get a little fun if the car is in a hard transition when it changes over. There's always a few sections that are a little gritty but they'll clear up after a few runs in first group. However, the courses are normally long enough that you'll still get a lot of tire wear. Last summer when we ran there, the course was over 90 seconds long, was really fast (near the top of 2nd a few times for me, so over 60mph), and it was somewhere around 90-95 degrees so everyones tires took a thrashing.

Quick Reply: NC S2K Autocross Chat - NCR/Triad/Tarheel