Carolinas A Better Place to Be

New S2000 owner in Columbia

Old 02-25-2006, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New S2000 owner in Columbia

Finally picked up my 2002 Sebring Silver this week.

So a brief history...

My whole life I've been a "car guy" in a family who didn't care about cars. I hear stories of when I was 4 years old, asking my father's coworkers what kind of car they drove. I think I'm adopted, my parents have always just seen cars as transportation. I worked at a small used car lot when I was 16, washing and detailing cars and trucks. Definitely didn't do it for the money, did it more because I loved cars, and it gave me an excuse to drive them (even if it was only across the lot).

I've been in love with the S2000 ever since it was in development. When it hit the local dealer, I was still in high school. I remember driving my hand-me-down 1991 Ford Taurus down just to look at the car and dream of the day I'd own one. To me it was my "realistic" dream car. The Taurus died, and my parents gave me an old 91 Acura Integra for my high school graduation. Drove it all through college, and my brother is driving it to this day, its a good little car.

Graduated college last spring, with my graduation money I could either put a down payment on a used S2000, or buy something a bit more practical. After weighing it out, I bought a 98 Jeep Cherokee. The S2000 would have to wait...

A year later, I've been working like a dog. Did all the responsible things...drove a reasonable Jeep, bought a house, etc etc... I'm an accountant and this is my busy time of year. I live in South Carolina, so we have beautiful weather nearly year round. When I left a client's last thursday and it was 70 degrees and sunny, I KNEW I needed to get my S2000. Its not the most financially responsible thing in the world, but hey, you only live once!

Found a 2002 Sebring Silver at a small dealership outside of Atlanta. Managed to get my boss to let me leave early, and drove 400 miles round trip to pick her up with my friend. Got home past midnight last night, up at the crack of dawn to drive her to work. I LOVE IT. Of course, the weather is lousy so I haven't even opened it up, just trying to get a feel for it. I've been lurking on this board for a while, so I figured it was time to introduce myself. I must say, I'm thrilled to FINALLY be a MEMBER of the S2000 community! Anyone in the Columbia area?
Old 02-25-2006, 05:57 AM

Welcome to the site man! Glad you finally got your S!
Old 02-25-2006, 05:58 AM

Congratulations on the new ride, even if it is the slower of the silvers! Also, welcome to the S2000 community. Be careful, I think I may be the only normal one around here...

As you can probably tell, I too am a USC guy and I live in the Columbia rea (Lexington). Not many others in this area that are active on the board. South Carolina does have a few regular autocrossers though. Maybe we'll talk you into trying one out.

Here's some info on the next one: Link

Take care!
-Garrett
Old 02-25-2006, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by GamecockS2K,Feb 25 2006, 06:58 AM

Congratulations on the new ride, even if it is the slower of the silvers! Also, welcome to the S2000 community. Be careful, I think I may be the only normal one around here...

As you can probably tell, I too am a USC guy and I live in the Columbia rea (Lexington). Not many others in this area that are active on the board. South Carolina does have a few regular autocrossers though. Maybe we'll talk you into trying one out.

Take care!
-Garrett
Hey guys, nice to meet ya. I actually did some autocrossing a few years ago when I was a student at USC. I used to have an old (G2) Acura Integra. It could hardly get out of its own way, but I definitely learned to be a better driver after a few times pushing it to its (relatively mild) limits. You won't have to do much convincing to get me to go out, its more of a matter of time.

Do you have any shops around here you trust to do work on your car? I'm originally from Spartanburg, and never really found a good place around here. I think I'm going to need a clutch soon.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by GamecockS2K,Feb 25 2006, 06:58 AM

Take care!
-Garrett
ahhhh too many Gamecock fans... Everybody knows Clemson owns USC!!!

as you can tell im a Tiger but i dont hold anything against you cock fans!

Congrats on Purchase! The S is an awesome car!

Jay
Old 02-27-2006, 05:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

What's up buddy? I currently attend USC and yes I have the wonderful (and better looking) Sebring Silver S2000 as well. It's been a fun car and has definately brought many fun memories. It's great with the chicks too, they absolutely love it! But anyways, I stay in the Moore tower on campus but I have my car parked in a garage (outta the sun and weather). Feel free to PM me and well meet up somewhere and do a car wash and cruise or something... Congrads on the car and welcome to the community!
Old 02-27-2006, 05:30 AM

Talking

Welcome to the community!!! And congrats on the purchase If I see ya, you'll probably hear a honk or two. O yeah, and Im another USC student , almost done, May actually.

Carlos
Old 02-27-2006, 07:24 AM
Community Organizer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the community!
Old 03-01-2006, 01:37 PM

Thanks guys. Any reputable shops/dealers around here that you trust with your S?

I'm definitely down to hang out/car wash/tech day/cruise sometime. Right now my schedule is a bit crazy for work, but I practically live downtown, so its not too bad.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:02 PM

Haven't had much work done really, as I try and take care of things myself. But Hilliard Automotive in Irmo would be who I'd trust if I had to have something done. They specialize on Hondas and even do a little racing with the SCCA, so I know them through that also. That's where I had my alignment done, but that is all.

Good luck, and I hope to meet ya sometime soon

-Garrett

Quick Reply: New S2000 owner in Columbia