Carolinas A Better Place to Be

New s2k owner in High Point NC needing help!!!

Old 03-28-2004, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New s2k owner in High Point NC needing help!!!

Hey everyone, i just recently bought a white 2001 s2000 and i Luv it. I got some rims i plan on putting on it this week sometime as well. I have a question and a favor... I have a high pitched wailing noise coming from the belts and or pulleys and I have no clue what it is. I need someone who knows a little bit about these cars to check my car out and see if it can be figured out as to what it is. Anyone near here let me know and Ill meet halfway or in town somewhere!!!
Old 03-29-2004, 05:00 AM

Welcome to the forum, you will find a great bunch of people, here.

The first thing I would suspect is a loose, or glazed fan belt.

My MY00 is starting to sqeal occasionally...especially on hard acceleration...so I know a new belt needs to go on soon.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:09 AM

Welcome to the board!

Its most probably a belt as sheadlee suggested. Try holding a bar of soap to the inside of the belt as its moving. *Warning!* Do this at your own risk and count your fingers when you're done. This will usually stop a squeek but is not a long term solution. Rather, its a diagnostic tool. If the squeek goes away after doing this, CHANGE THE BELT.

It could also be a vaccuum leak but you would probably get a CEL (check engine light) if that were the case. If you still have a squeel after doing the soap thing, I'd check the hoses.

Good luck.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:01 AM

Alright Ill check that out this evening after work. The CEL is not on but the maint'ce req'd light is on. The dealer who sold me the car said it was because it needed to be reset from the oil change? If the light can be reset how do i do it? So if its a belt, that shouldnt be too hard to change out right? Ive done lots of work to my old Mr2 when i Had it but never got into changing the belts.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:06 AM

Also one more thing. How do I add the "owner" tag and my car info under my name???
Old 03-29-2004, 10:31 AM

Welcome to the board. Hope to see you around at some meets.

To make yourself an "owner":

Go to Start Button, Click on Edit Profile, The scroll down about halfway and enter your VIN #. You will then be listed as an owner.

Next step is to donate $20 to the site and become a "member".
Old 03-29-2004, 10:48 AM

Click the START button....scroll down to EDIT PROFILE...fill in VIN # and other information.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:53 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MyBad
Welcome to the board!

Its most probably a belt as sheadlee suggested. Try holding a bar of soap to the inside of the belt as its moving. *Warning!* Do this at your own risk and count your fingers when you're done. This will usually stop a squeek but is not a long term solution. Rather, its a diagnostic tool. If the squeek goes away after doing this, CHANGE THE BELT.

It could also be a vaccuum leak but you would probably get a CEL (check engine light) if that were the case. If
Old 03-29-2004, 12:29 PM

Awesome thanks for that tip! I like my fingers so much, lol. Yea Im planning on going to some meets without a doubt. I am planning to go to the Dragonball Run in Tennessee in the nexxt coming weeks. Tho I wont be testing my limits on it, I do plan on cruising thru it as i know trees all too well (Rip '91 Mr2 Turbo) Anyways, Ill check my belts tonight and will keep yall posted, I am also getting my 17' Enkei Shoguns put on the s2k tongiht!! CAnt wait
Old 03-29-2004, 12:34 PM

Welcome to the Carolina's mad house
-
for the maint light, did u get an owners manual? if so, look in the index and it will direct you on how to reset it.
-
i always forge how, but its like turing the key to the just b4 on position, holding the trip reset, etc. Kills me, i can never remember. If u didnt get a manual, send me a pm, or remind us and we will check ours and then tell ya.
===================

BTW, if you are looking for a good place to meet us and have a great time, check out The Dragon . Its in a couple of weeks and a blast.

Quick Reply: New s2k owner in High Point NC needing help!!!