Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Racing games/simulations

Old 03-18-2005, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Racing games/simulations

You race drivers/gamers may get a chuckle here!

Well...I finally got my first PS2 (not bad for a geezer)...I thought I would take it for a test this morning. I've never play any of the racing games or used a PS before, and was not familiar with all of the controls, but what the H*!!!

I put in TOCA 2 Racing simulator, and took off for a practice run around Laguna Seca. My first move was to get the GT40 going and immediately proceeded to run it smack into the WALL of the first turn. I think it took me about 15 min to do one lap...swerving from one side to the other...running off the course about 30 times, running over cars, being run into by other cars, starting and stopping, NOT a pretty sight at all.

You expert gamers would have laughed your asses off!!!

I can see the regular controller isn't going work for me. I did pick up the Logitec Pro driving wheel...maybe I will have better luck controlling the cars with something I'm used to using.

I will have to say that the relative realism of the racing is rather impressive. This should provide some entertaining moments.

My first games are the TOCA 2, Formula 1 2001, and Gran Turismo 4...it looks like I have my work cut out !!!
Old 03-18-2005, 09:51 AM

Hehehe, gotta start somewhere there! GT4 will ahve you plenty busy for a loooong time.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:17 PM

yeah, take those other games back, GT4 will keep you hooked for years. I never got sick of GT3 and now that i have GT4......wowzas.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:54 PM

Good stuf Sheadlee!
I was actually comparing the number of racing sims between the PS2 and the Xbox. It seems that the PS2 has about twice as many!

I may have to get one.. :-)

Old 03-18-2005, 05:19 PM

May I suggest Burnout 3. If you are like me, you will do much better at that game.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing about many driving games. Unlike GT4, few actually offer "true" 900-degree wheel/direction rotation. So, when you play GT4 with a controller or the ProForce wheel your turns really feel realistic as you try to control the car. On the other hand, you take a game (which I happen to like a LOT) such as TOCA 2 for the PS2, and you apply the same force/turn/application using a controller or the ProForce wheel and you'll be slammin' walls more than you'll be driving straight...unless... Unless you appreciate the difference and approach those games with a bit more finesse to the controller/wheel. VERY small steering inputs will do wonders for racing games that do not support 900-degree rotational control.

Before you heave TOCA 2 across the room, consider my "small steering inputs" advice and then get yourself into a Free Race with Convertibles on the Australian Bathurst closed road course! . One of the most enjoyable facets of TOCA 2 for me is the sheer number of competitors on the track with you. Second to that is that the road courses have some SWEET elevations and such. Too much of the time, as gorgeous as GT4 is...I can see nearly *all* of the road ahead of me because there's little elevation to the tracks. But to run the Bathurst course alone has been worth the $30 for TOCA 2 in my opinion.

Anyway... "smaller steering inputs" is my advice. Hand controllers in general blow for driving games IMO. Tap-tap-tap left...tap-tap right... Sorry, that's not how I *DRIVE* for real...so it looses something in the translation. Now that ProForce wheel from Logitech specifically optimized for GT4???...yeah, that baby is the ticket! . And even though I don't "full rotation" with its use on other driving games (small inputs ), nonetheless, the wheel is muuuuuuuuuuch more satisfying for driving/sim enjoyment.

- Dave
Old 03-19-2005, 02:58 AM

Diego...good to hear from you...I think you would have an absolute blast with some of the simulations available on the PS2. Although, the downside would be not getting much else done.

Dave...thanks for the heads up! I played a little when I got home last night...after hooking the ProForce wheel up. I did much better with the wheel, but as you mentioned...it's a little frusttrating as to how sensitive the steering is...a little turn sends you veering significantly.

I love the changeable views...especially the 'from the cockpit', that really gives you the sensation of actually driving.

Also, the replay after a practice run is very 'entertaining'...it makes you laugh your butt off and cry at how pitiful your run really was.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sheadlee,Mar 19 2005, 06:58 AM
Dave...thanks for the heads up! I played a little when I got home last night...after hooking the ProForce wheel up. I did much better with the wheel, but as you mentioned...it's a little frusttrating as to how sensitive the steering is...a little turn sends you veering significantly.

I love the changeable views...especially the 'from the cockpit', that really gives you the sensation of actually driving.
Two points to offer given your comments above...

1. Keep in mind (and even I have not thought to fiddle with this...but I'm betting its possible), check the "settings" feature on TOCA 2, etc. when you first boot the game up. Very likely that you can adjust the "sensitivity" of the controller/wheel. So that even though the came may not "support" 900-degree rotation, it might at least reduce the immediacy of any slight inputs.

2. If you have not yet done it (and this can be a little advanced if you're smackin' walls already )...when you squeeze the "paddle shifter" buttons during the "in the car" view, you can pan left/right while inside to see if an opponent is just next to you, etc.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by sheadlee,Mar 19 2005, 09:58 PM
Diego...good to hear from you...I think you would have an absolute blast with some of the simulations available on the PS2. Although, the downside would be not getting much else done.
I know. I spent 28 days playing PGR2 on the xbox last year when I was waiting to come back and had stopped working. I clocked 250 hours on the one game in that time.

Fortunately for my marriage, Target had a 30 day no questions asked return policy

I didn't even notice when this picture was taken...

What do you mean I have to stop to eat??
Old 03-20-2005, 01:47 PM

Well, I've dunnit again.... got myself a used PS2 and GT 4 with the wheel....

6 hours later I am half way through the int B license ... oh dear...

Quick Reply: Racing games/simulations