Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Shameless promotion for autocross

Old 03-16-2007, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Online registration isn't required (just helps our registrar get the computer straight in the morning a little faster). Its also about to close anyway.

Just on Sunday, get your car to tech first. They should give you a piece of paper. Fill out your information (car number and class, etc) and take that up to the BRIGHT yellow van and pay the entrance fee and then you'll get entered into the computer and you're good to go. Prep your car (fill tires with air, put numbers on) and walk the course ALOT. Just find me or anyone with a yellow and black bowling shirt on (those would be the officers of the club) if you have any questions. I'll be there by around 8:30.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:57 AM

Put numbers on??
Old 03-17-2007, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get numbers printed on sheets of paper at the registration table or make some out of masking tape or shoe polish so course workers can identify your car. You should also have your class letters. Which should be AS for stock S2000's. Unless you've have a mod that would bump you out of the stock class. I don't remember what if any mods you have, but generally you can change parts that normally wear out like shocks, spark plugs, air filters, tires, as long as they're on stock size wheels.

You also might want to be in the novice class (for people without experience) or street tire (ST) class. Most people not in the street tire class are on race tires, which are understandably a great advantage over street tires.

If you decide to auto-x regularly, you might invest in magnetic or static cling printed numbers for that cool "race car" look.

I would also advise arriving as early as possible, at least before registration opens at 8:30 (I usually get there before coliseum workers start collecting for parking), After registration and tech., walk the course several times and go on the novice walk-through, and bring your own helmet if you have one. The club has loaners, but to me it's a pain to return them between runs. Also useful: sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, big water bottle, snacks, comfortable sneakers, tire gauge, folding chairs, whatever you need to be comfortable in the rain (we race rain or shine).
Old 03-17-2007, 06:40 AM

Because of springs and CAI, you'd be in a class called B Street Prepared (BSP). Exhaust (cat back) is fine for stock. Not sure what else you have on the car (any braces etc) but even so, I doubt anything would move you out of BSP short of slapping a turbo on the car or stripping the interior. As said above, the numbers and class letters are just to identify your car on course. If you hit a cone, its a penalty and someone on the course has to call it in on your car based on class and number.

There are two entries in BSP right now, a 350z and an STi. One I know is on street tires, other one I'm not sure though. But if its your first event, you'll probably want to run Novice anyway. Just put an N on the car along with the BSP and number.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:42 AM

Helmets need to be Snell (M or SA rated) 95 or later. Can't just use a bike helmet or anything probably laying around the house. Unless you have a motorcycle. . .then that helmet may be OK.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:07 PM

Arrrgh, I don't have a helmet at all...

Would blue masking tape work well enough for #'s or just let 'em give me one at the desk?

Mods are in my sig in the 1st post on here...
Old 03-17-2007, 02:46 PM

Blue painters tape works fine. Very visible and doesn't leave marks on the car.

Don't worry about the helmet. That's why the club has plenty of loaner helmets.

I'm not totally sure about the X brace and lower tie bar. I don't believe they should move you into a tougher class above BSP, but I could be wrong. That would be one of those silly things in the rules, like adding a new shift knob moves you out of stock class technically. . .

One thing you learn after autocrossing for a bit. . .the rules are VERY dumb/complicated.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:30 PM

Interesting... I understand the concept of auot-x'ing I think... basically these are time trials against others in the same class? And these individual classes try to keep cars close to equal based on mods?

I need to be there before 830AM huh? Is there a looong wait in b/t runs? Is there an intermission or is it non-stop all day until it's over?

Going by drreid's post, I need to pack thigs to last thru out the event...
Old 03-17-2007, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the idea is to get cars of similar power to weight ratio/mods into a class. I suggested getting there early so there is plenty of time, since it's your 1st time.

Different clubs do it differently, but TSCC usually does it this way. Everyone is split into 4 run groups each group of about an equal number of drivers. Because while one group is driving another group is working the course. So if you're in run group 1, you work for group 3. Also there will be 2 heats. Which means everyone makes 3-4 runs in in their run group in the morning and again in the afternoon.

You have a break between running and working, usually 45-60 min so you can eat, rest , socialize or work on your car. Odd run groups work while the other is running, same for evens. So if your in group 1, the morning heat would be like this and then repeat in the afternoon:

group 1 runs while group 3 works,
group 2 runs while group 4 works, you'd have a break
group 3 runs while group 1 works,
group 4 runs while group 2 works, you'd have a break

auto- x intro info
Old 03-18-2007, 01:46 PM

Thanks for showing up today everyone. I know David, Brandon, and I all had a great time on the course today (enough to get you hooked Brandon? haha). Matt and Matt, hopefully we'll see you both at the next event.

April 22 is only a few weeks away. . .

Quick Reply: Shameless promotion for autocross