Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Size of rear lower shock bolt?

Old 03-24-2010, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Size of rear lower shock bolt?

Hey guys,

I am replacing my suspension soon and when I put my Konis on one of the lower rear bolts that attaches the shock to the lower A arm got screwed up. the threads got eaten up when I installed the Konis (a problem that seems common). I am going to buy a new bolt for the new suspension, but can't find the size of the bolt anywhere in the service manual or any where else. All the manual says is 12X1.25mm. 1.25 is the pitch and I guess 12mm is the diameter of the bolt, but don't know the length or any other info I may need. I know I could measure the bolt, but I don't have access to my car for the next few days so I can't.

Can anyone help me out??

Thanks

Rich
Old 03-24-2010, 06:12 AM

Sounds like you are trying to replace it with a generic bolt from the hardware store? Just buy the bolt from the link below...it is #17 or go to the local dealer and have them order it. This way you know the bolt is the correct strength...etc.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/j...+SHOCK+ABSORBER

John
Old 03-24-2010, 06:29 AM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

That's one of the reasons I belong to this group. People helping others.
Nice going John
Old 03-24-2010, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by RichV,Mar 24 2010, 05:46 AM
Hey guys,

I am replacing my suspension soon and when I put my Konis on one of the lower rear bolts that attaches the shock to the lower A arm got screwed up. the threads got eaten up when I installed the Konis (a problem that seems common). I am going to buy a new bolt for the new suspension, but can't find the size of the bolt anywhere in the service manual or any where else. All the manual says is 12X1.25mm. 1.25 is the pitch and I guess 12mm is the diameter of the bolt, but don't know the length or any other info I may need. I know I could measure the bolt, but I don't have access to my car for the next few days so I can't.

Can anyone help me out??

Thanks

Rich
Getting rid of the Koni Yellow's? What dont you like about them?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:47 AM

www.hondapartsnow.com has diagrams by the years and you can't beat the prices. They do however try and rape you on shipping.

Last night I ordered the smaller hazard button for my new AP2 console and it was like 11 dollars for shipping

-Christian
Old 03-24-2010, 10:56 AM

Thanks for that John. I actually have a store 2 minutes from work called Automotive Fasteners. I have used several replacement bolts, nuts etc... for when I had my turbo kit and other misc things here and there. They have great products and are very helpful. But, I went to your link anyway to check prices. $19.76 for (2) of those bolts !! I can get that exact bolt at AF for less than 1/2 that, and I don't have to wait for shipping.
The shipping and "handling" (whatever handling is) was $12 of that cost! That is a little rough.

Logan, I love the Konis, but I want to go lower and have a little more damping adjustability. I found a great deal on PSS9s and had to jump on it.

Thanks for all of the help guys!

Rich
Old 03-24-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by RichV,Mar 24 2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks for that John. I actually have a store 2 minutes from work called Automotive Fasteners. I have used several replacement bolts, nuts etc... for when I had my turbo kit and other misc things here and there. They have great products and are very helpful. But, I went to your link anyway to check prices. $19.76 for (2) of those bolts !! I can get that exact bolt at AF for less than 1/2 that, and I don't have to wait for shipping.
The shipping and "handling" (whatever handling is) was $12 of that cost! That is a little rough.

Logan, I love the Konis, but I want to go lower and have a little more damping adjustability. I found a great deal on PSS9s and had to jump on it.

Thanks for all of the help guys!

Rich
Yea lowering is nice. I still have to jack mine up to see what the guy did to lower mine initially. I am thinking he put adjusters on. Its sad I have had this car for 4 months now and have not even taken the wheel off lol. Made the engine bay look sexier though Last night I just put in a catch can which was fun $35 homemade.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:50 AM

You weren't too low if I remember right Logan. More than likely he just had the Konis on the lower perch with the stock springs which will give you .5-.75" drop like I was, at the angel eye meet.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:53 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

so the link to hondaautomotiveparts says 12x85 is that right???????
doesnt sound like it.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:54 PM

JB weld and duct tape... You can fix anything!

Quick Reply: Size of rear lower shock bolt?