Carolinas A Better Place to Be

SkySail - Luxury Condos in New Bern

Old 01-24-2005, 09:31 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SkySail - Luxury Condos in New Bern

Anna and I were in downtown New Bern last night and came across a large sign advertising a new development next to the Sheraton Grand Hotel. SkySail, a luxury condo development in New Bern???

www.skysailnewbern.com

The sign advertised a website and you know me...I had to check it out. Sure enough, SkySail is a future development (set to be complete by Spring of 2006) that will feature exquisite luxury on a picturesque waterfront that borders the historic downtown New Bern.

Yeah, I came up with that all on my own. Sure, New Bern is nice, but it's no SkySail. Walk within a block and you'll be introduced to low-income housing with individuals more inclined on living off the government than bettering themselves.

Also, I can't begin to interpret their little "teaser movie." I can't imagine folks considering a $326k (or more) condo being that interested in a bunch of sea gulls. The units themselves can actually command up to $661,015.00 on the 4th floor with the best view.

They just had to throw in that drawing of a Thunderbird...

Nevertheless, it's great to see new development come into New Bern. I hope it compliments the downtown area and brings in some people who will help mold New Bern to a city with more possibilities. However, I can't imagine anyone spending that amount of money to live in this area.

Take a look for yourself and share some comments.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was talking to the head of Virginia Beach Schools a few years ago. He & his wife were considering selling property there & moving to Eastern N.C. as a retirement haven.

He said Virginia Beach was like Wilmington 30-35 years ago, quiet, quaint , a bit slower pace, relatively low cost-of-living and full of friendly people. I'd figure New Bern would fit that description as well.

Now there is 500,000+ people living there. Add a couple hundred thousand more including Chesapeake & Norfolk.

You know what else he told me? BUY Realestate and/or Land....everyone's got to live somehere........and they're not making it anymore.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:09 PM

can you see the new bern pigly wiggly from the 600 grrrr penthouses?, for if the answer is yes, then i would sell my soul for one
Old 01-25-2005, 04:12 AM

This will probably turn out to be a great investment. I don't know the waterfront but I'm guessing that these condos will be pretty much exclusive for quite a while.

The design looks similar to ones in uptown Charlotte. Those top units have two story tall living rooms with floor to ceiling windows. I'm sure its a wonderful space with panoramic views, but protecting that glass from hurricane wind and debris could be challenging.

As for being next door to an economically challenged area, it happens all the time in historic cities. I have mixed feelings about whether or not its a good thing. Improving a blighted area is one thing, driving up property values to the point that homeowners can no longer afford their taxes is another.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:57 AM

Received 2,659 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Thanks for posting this, Raul...these are the condos I'm interested in!! But I hadn't seen anything about them yet. They are a bit pricey, but I'm not surprised...
Old 01-25-2005, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by airgate,Jan 24 2005, 10:31 AM
The units themselves can actually command up to $661,015.00 on the 4th floor with the best view.
thats cheap to some people. my friend bought a condo for 500k...got a whopping 650sq/ft in sanfran
Old 01-31-2005, 08:29 AM

If someone wants to buy one of these condos, I'll do the loan for you for NO origination fee just cuz you drive an S2k. Fair enough?
Old 01-31-2005, 03:23 PM

If i was in the market to blow a lot of money on a condo i would look into one of these.... www.theparamount.info