Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Soft top replacement

Old 03-19-2010, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC_Highlander,Mar 18 2010, 09:13 PM
The two halves of the roll hoop cover are melted together at the factory. It's nearly impossible to glue them back together and have it both look good and last a long time. Unfortunately, I think he's going to have to replace the hoop/cover assemblies.
Well, got everything done yesterday but didn't get a chance to upload the rest of the pics, so I'll do that later today. But everything went good, definitely looks like a new car again. The roll hoops covers,.. I figured they just popped apart like everything else especially considering it didn't take much effort for them to separate. But, considering they're "messed up" now anyways, I won't feel so bad about modifying them and putting lexan in the holes to help block the wind. Glad that I finally got this out of the way and saved myself some money at the same time. This whole thing really wasn't hard, just tedious. This definitely goes on my list of things that I don't really care to ever do again.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by henge,Mar 19 2010, 03:29 AM
This definitely goes on my list of things that I don't really care to ever do again.
I hear ya man!
Old 03-19-2010, 10:51 AM

So with the cloth off the frame, next came taking the rain channel off of the old cloth and transferring it to the new cloth. This wasn't bad, just required drilling out the old rivits and popping new ones in.

At this point you're basically ready to put the cloth back on the frame. Since the elastic bands on my frame were dry rotted and stretched out, I went to a fabric store and got thicker 2" elastic bands and rivetted those on.

Then came time to put the cloth back on the frame, simple enough. Just the reverse of how it came off, just being more careful not to tear it. And then putting the top assembly back in the car (This time with help!) and bolting everything in.

The top goes up and down like it should. I drove it and there are no air leaks around the seals, now I just have to make sure no water is leaking in and get the rear window tinted.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:47 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome job! Where are you located so I can get you to come help when I do mine, LOL
Old 03-19-2010, 12:13 PM

It was definitely a good learning experience. I'm sure if I hard to do it again I'd be able to do it in less time as well. I'm located in Cary.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Super-nice job!
Old 03-20-2010, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice one! Any idea how much money you saved by doing it yourself?
Old 03-20-2010, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by krshultz,Mar 20 2010, 02:30 PM
Nice one! Any idea how much money you saved by doing it yourself?
$400,.. that was the best quote I got for installation and that was from the guy who does all the interior and top work here at the dealership I work at.

When I called around to a number of shops around Raleigh (like Auto Interiors & Tops Inc.) the best price I got was $800 if I provided the top, and like $1500 total If I bought one of theirs.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by henge,Mar 20 2010, 02:48 PM
$400,.. that was the best quote I got for installation and that was from the guy who does all the interior and top work here at the dealership I work at.

When I called around to a number of shops around Raleigh (like Auto Interiors & Tops Inc.) the best price I got was $800 if I provided the top, and like $1500 total If I bought one of theirs.
Wow. Maybe I'll do mine myself after all. As the Top Gear guys often say..."how hard could it be?"
Old 03-22-2010, 05:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No glue = easy top to install. It's a one day job if you want it to be.

[QUOTE]Wow.

Quick Reply: Soft top replacement