Carolinas A Better Place to Be

soft top speed sensor bypass

Old 06-11-2010, 08:31 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I've done this mod for all x4 of my s2000's and it's a life-saver! Wanted to contribute to this thread so here's my latest setup...

Took mine one step further since I did not want to mess with the E-brake wire so I just tapped mine into a switch which acts like the E-brake engagement.

So to move the softtop, just unlatch, hit the left switch and operate the top anytime I want

(right switch is secret so don't ask...haha)

Name:  v1remotevolume.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  1.87 MB
Name:  Interiorshot.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  1.01 MB
Old 06-14-2010, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is that other button the seat belt lock?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:20 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Left button controls the LED's in headlight and underdash at same time (so I know when I have the LED's in headlight turned on)

Right switch bypasses the E-brake so I can lower/raise the hardtop while moving.

rick
Old 06-15-2010, 06:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by too much vtAK,Jan 22 2008, 05:08 PM
Did mine last week. Great mod. I love pulling into a space and putting the top up at the same time. By the time I'm stopped I'm ready to get out.
I this mod!

As much fun as it is to raise the top when parking, I have more fun lowering it as I pull away, it's silly looking, it's like as long as the car goes forward, the top has to come down. I love how people turn and stare.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:50 AM

[QUOTE=ace123,May 11 2008, 08:38 AM] Just did this. It took longer to get the tools out and get in the car than it did to do the whole thing. Figured I'd add another blurb to boost confidence for anyone with a MY06+ that's still on the fence. It's a great, easy modification.

On MY06+, unscrew one bolt and release the pins--press at their center with a toothpick, hex wrench, pencil etc. That extra step is the only difference for MY06+ models. Now pull the cover horizontally back with firm, consistent pressure to release all the clips. Then cut the wire. You're done "modifying" your car. Now line the clips up and push the cover back in so they all clip in. I always push each of the surfaces where the clips attach an extra time to make sure they clipped in. For MY06+, put the screw back in, reset the push-pins*, and pin them back in. That's it!

I was thinking to ground the parking brake sensor, but I felt like it was so quick to get in there that I didn't care to bother finding the ground or splicing any other wires--I was excited to try it out and since it's so quick and easy, I'll just go back in if I decide I care.

*On resetting the push-pins, I think it's self-explanatory when you see it out of the car.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:19 AM

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts

I wanted to add some additional photos to the top down while moving thread.

This covers eliminating the brake click. The photo are from an '06.

Connector, unplugged as viewed from the underside
(in original post this wire was hidden under another wire)

Note Black ground wire (#11), is right next to the Green/White (#12). Here the G/W wire has been cut and a 3M tap/splice used to connect it to the Black wire on the connector site (black wire passes through the tap uncut). The unused end of the G/W can be insulated.

This shows the detail of the plug from the back (corrected image).

Pin out

Location of the connector behind the panel. Note the brake connection is on connector "A" on the left. The speed sensor wire (covered earlier) is on connector "B".

Back of the '06 passenger panel. Remove the screw in the center and then the pins on the left and right. Once removed, the panel snaps out with a pull.

The pins on the left and right are pretty easy to remove, but not obvious in that you press the center pin in to unlock them, and then you pull the entire fastener out.

Once removed, you press the pin in from the back so it sticks up from the top side. Then when you re-insert the fastener you press the pin down, flush to re-lock.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:45 AM

thanks Jeallen!! your diagrams helped a lot! I got it even though the yellow on the socket picture is in the wrong place.

screw switches and relays this took 5 mins
Old 10-10-2011, 05:52 PM

I take advantage of this mod just about every day. Left the brake sensor in tact though. Didn't want any accidents.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:47 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Hmm I just tried this on my 08 model and now my roof doesn't work at all....cut the speed sensor wire and grounded the handbrake input and nothing...fixed them back together and still nothing

Sorted...great mod
Old 03-19-2012, 07:16 PM

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by simmoyo
thanks Jeallen!! your diagrams helped a lot! I got it even though the yellow on the socket picture is in the wrong place.

screw switches and relays this took 5 mins
Should help more now... FIXED!

Quick Reply: soft top speed sensor bypass