Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Velocity / Cramer Mountain Road Driving Route

Old 03-17-2008, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Velocity / Cramer Mountain Road Driving Route

For those of you who couldn't make it on Saturday we made a run through a driving route I have been working on that begins / ends at Velocity.

The goal was to try to find some find some enjoyable roads to drive around Charlotte that would allow us to leave and come back in an hour so. How hard can that be...right?

After the run I got a lot of positive feedback about the route (and either everyone was sincere or we got some really good liars in the group ). I also got some constructive critism which I encourage. You aren't going to hurt my feelings and since there isn't a long line of people waiting to submit Charlotte area driving routes I don't feel like I'm holding anyone back.

Anyhow these were some of the comments I got:

1. Cramer Mountain Road:
2. River Oaks Road (although it had some great curves) had too much gravel and was too residential: Avoid gravel and residential areas
3. Driving through Cramerton and Belmont was kinda cool, but there were a lot of lights: Avoid lights and towns
4. Finish with some highway driving to allow the Turbos to cool down

In response I went out for a little while on Sunday and tried to tweak the route with these comments in mind. I came up with the following:

Velocity Route

In Summary it starts off with some curvy 45 MPH two lane roads. It takes us down Cramer Mountain Road and then back up again before returning to Velocity via 85/485.

Please let me know if you have any comments. Once I have them all incorporated I'll try to drive it once more and get the milages confirmed.

Thanks.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rick- route was great with the exceptions that you listed. Is there a way to do cramner? road twice....

-Doug
Old 03-17-2008, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug,

The route posted has us going down it, then looping around in town and going back up it. When we get back to the top there is a school. We could turn around in the parking lot and go back down, go through town again and back up. That would be 4 runs (2 loops) at about .7 miles each so about 3 miles. The question is how many times up and down can a line of 10-20 cars make before we start drawing attention to ourselves.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! i guess we can test our luck at the next meet. Maybe 1 loop might be better... You going to be at the next meet??? Call me this week if you want to grab coffee one evening.

-Doug