Carolinas A Better Place to Be

When you or I die. . .

Old 11-11-2004, 03:53 AM

Received 2,608 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Eric - Sorry to hear about your hedgehog...I have had three dogs put to sleep from illness/old age. It's very hard but I didn't want them to suffer and they all lived long lives. It helps to have a mobil vet who can come to your home where your pet feels more comfortable.

And Raul, I feel the same way about my relatives/loved ones. It is better to let them go than have them in pain or whatever. And keep them at home as long as possible, with hospice care. I'm dealing with my elderly parents and aunt, so this subject is one I have to think about alot, unfortunately. Even though you might not want to face the possibility of death, it is good to plan for it, no matter what your age. Have medical and legal powers of attorney drawn up, as well as a revocable living trust. This definitely makes things easier to deal with when illness or death comes. As for the emotional part, it is tough. But I try to dwell on the good times, and keep treasured items and pictures in my home that have meaning for me.

Probably the best way to cope (and this works for me when I am down about anything) is to get in the car, put the radio up and the top down, and drive, drive, drive!!!
Old 11-12-2004, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was growing up a very good friend was run over by a truck. This happened during summer vacation so I didn't find out until two days before the funeral. It was very shocking and really weird not to see him the first day back at school. For the next year or so I would have very vivid memories of him. Some were down right spooky ,like hearing his voice at night whilst camping (we were in the Scouts together) but I gradually got used to him not being around.

A couple of years later my great grandmother died. I did not feel it as much because she lived in a different town and had gradually gotten senile over a 10 year period (I was 16 when she died). So I grew up having a distant relationship with her due to her senelity and the real nasty moods she would get in when she wasn't being senile. Having said that, in a very weird twist of events I ended up going with my Dad to the cementery to prep the crypt before the funeral. It was the family crypt and due to the size and long history of the family, one of my Dad's cousins had to be relocated to make room for 'Nana'. He had been dead for longer than I had been alive but it was the first time I saw my Dad take an extended trip down memory lane. They were best of buddies until throat cancer killed him at the tender age of 31 (he was about 5 years older than my Dad). Dad spent the next two days recounting all the good times they had.

Those two experiences and spending time in the army (actually seen body bags being transported) taught me that you really never know when it is going to be your turn. So I decided to always try and live everyday as if it could be the last one. That doesn't mean partying hard and acting crazy. It means havings your affairs in the best order you can (Will, records, etc - Like MsPerky said.), always making sure that you let your loved ones you love them, trying not to have grudges or unfished business and generally just enjoying life.