Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Zoo Run

Old 05-15-2010, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in as well...
Old 05-15-2010, 05:42 AM

jake long time no talk u wanna follow me up there?
Old 05-15-2010, 01:57 PM

Sorry I missed you guys today.

I was planning on attending. On my way up to the zoo I was running slightly late so I was movin along pretty good, weaving in and out of traffic, and doing all the stuff that when you see other guys on the road doing it you ask "why's that a$$hole in such a hurry?".

About 1/2 way there from Fort Mill I down shifted into 5th and put my foot to the floor to make a pass and the engine started sputtering on me bucking the car hard. The CEL was flashing and when ever I got back on the gas it did the same thing. I pulled over and popped the hood and all appeared to be fine. I tried again to get back on the road and noticed that as long as I kept the rpms pretty low the car ran fine but once i got hard on the gas and the rpms got over 4k the same thing started happening.

So I turned around and limped home stopping at the autozone before I got the house. They got out the scanner and I had 11 CEL codes. 1 was a catalytic converter code, 2 were some sort of long description that had to do with rocker arms, and 8 were various cylinder misfire codes.

So my first guess was spark plugs. With my current set up I seem to go through a set about every 10,000 miles so it was likely time for a change. The local autozone didn't carry the cool NGK iridiums that I usually run so I picked up some s2000 friendly bosch iridiums to last me until I can order some NGK's.

During the replacement I noticed that my old plugs were somewhat loose. Not loose enough to where they were rattling but it took very little effort to get them off. They didn't look as burnt up as the previous set I had changed so I'm still not 100% sure that the plugs were the only problem. I replaced the plugs and I have taken the car out on about a 30 minute test drive and all appears to ok. I guess I'll just have to watch it.

As far as the catalytic converter code is concerned I noticed a quiet metal rattle coming from the middle underside of the car. It sounds like 3 screws in a tin cup being shaken around. I have heard this before and I believe I've gone through my 2nd cataltytic converter. I know my set up runs rich and rich set ups burn through cats so I'm likely going to just have to get a test pipe. I guess that's what I get for trying to be enviornmentally friendly.

As far as the 2 rocker arm codes are concerned...I have no idea. If anyone else has any guesses let me know.

Anyways, hate it that i missed you all. I hope to be able to join in next time.

Rick
Old 05-15-2010, 03:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rick; sorry for your trouble and that you couldn't join us, but glad to hear things seem fine for now. We missed you.

Steve; thanks again for a great day! It was a "hot" drive in more ways than one! Thanks especially for the directions and map. I plan to keep these around for those "impromptu" days when you just need a drive.

It was great seeing everyone. Jeremy, sorry for getting to lunch late, but thanks for ordering our food. Food and company were excellent!
Old 05-15-2010, 04:20 PM

srry i missed it aswell my car is still untuned and was hoping to have it tuned but had some issues with my clutch, so had to bump my tuning date to 29
Old 05-15-2010, 06:53 PM

Bah I wish I had a good car excuse. Heck this was really going to be her "maiden" run - new wheels, tires and alignment completed in time, etc.

But work had other ideas.

Glad to hear you all had fun. My rear was in a seat in front of my computer from 7 this morning until about 3:30 this afternoon... Should have been in the driver's seat of the S...

Dave
Old 05-16-2010, 10:04 AM

Sheila,

No sweat, Im always glad to help. Rick, glad to here everything seems to be "temporarily" OK.

And lastly but not least, Steve, thanks again very much for taking the time to put this run together.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:20 AM

Sounds like you all had some fun. I took the jeep out to uwharrie national park and did some wheelin. Great day!
Old 05-16-2010, 02:05 PM

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf8Prh7Qico [/media]
Old 05-20-2010, 09:19 PM

Great video. The exhaust sounds awesome.

Quick Reply: Zoo Run