Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

Bushing Kit questions

Old 10-17-2013, 12:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bushing Kit questions

So after I installed my BC Coilovers, I went over to RT Tuning to have Pat align my car, and of course most of the adjustments are seized, since my car has 127k miles on it. From what I've read on S2ki, there are two bushing kits out there- energy suspension and powerflex. ES seems to be cheaper, but takes more labor to install. Does anyone here have either of these kits on their car? If so, how many hours of labor was involved and how often do you lubricate them? Any info is appreciated, I just want to know what I am in for as far as labor goes, bushings is not something I want to do myself, I will just get frustrated. Pat was able to get my car better than what it was, but I really would like it mechanically perfect.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ask pat?...
Old 10-17-2013, 12:46 PM

i didnt know anything about bushing kits when i was there, and i dont plan on going there for the bushing install. as much as i like them, they are extremely expensive for me. i was going to call some places, including youngs, since i've heard good things. once the labor is done, i will go back to RT and have it aligned a final time.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:07 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

You should just call Young. He has a great alignment rack too, he can set it up anyway you like. Just have him do both. He's great with an S2000 and reasonable priced. He probably knows a lot about the bushings kits and help you make a good decision.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:44 AM

Received 1,270 Likes on 775 Posts

Without question....

Powerflex is the way to go, for quality AND absolute ease of install.

Energy uses old parts of the old bushings and is the crappiest junk out there. Install is hideous, and in the end you still have junk.

Powerflex uses all new parts with stainless collars. Fantastic product.

Your greatest challenge will be removing the seized parts from the car. I just did a car with all adjusters seized front and back, took over 10 hrs to complete.

You will need someone who is VERY good with a sawzall or torch.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Billman got it on the money. Powerflex is the way to go. The money saved on buying Energy Suspension Bushing Kit will NOT out-weigh the time/labor spent on installing them.
Also, do you really need ALL the bushings done? Because there are MANY...
If so, you should get all the adjustment bolts & hardware needed along with the bushing kit because most likely they will need replacement.
You may be able to save some of the other bushings and hardware that are freely moving as well, so you may want to find out from RT which adjustments they weren't able to get in spec.
If they gave you an alignment print out, you can tell which adjustments are still out, and most likely the problem lies there.
If you can, you should upload a pic or post the post-alignment spec to see where you need work.
Hope that helps~!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:46 AM

First off, thanks a TON for all the great input guys. Got off the phone with Youngs and I will definitely be going there for the install and alignment. Ill be going with powerflex as well after reading what youve posted. Only hangup yet is i am waiting on RT to send me my alignment spec sheet again since my dumbass tossed it. Ill be back from FL on tuesday so if i dont hear from them by then, Ill post back up here before i order just to make sure i get the right sets.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:53 AM

Received 1,270 Likes on 775 Posts

The compliance bushing alone offered by powerflex is worth the decision.

It is a pillow ball style pivot, instead of a bushing jammed inside an old bushing and squished back and forth.

If the compliance is frozen, you will need the eccentric adjuster collar also as that will be cut from the car.

You will also need one ecentric bolt for each camber/toe adjuster cut from the car.

Do all your homework....might be worth a pre-inspect to see what's frozen. On rare occasions, PB blaster soaked overnight can save major labor. I've been able to free up 15-20% of frozen adjusters. The rest need to be cut out.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:49 AM

i got my specs back from RT, here is what the car is currently set at. I am not sure what was in red though. Can anyone tell by these numbers what sets I would need here :

Front Left:
Camber -1.4°
Caster 6.3°
Toe .04°

Front Right:
Camber -1.2°
Caster 6.8°
Toe -.03°

Rear Left:
Camber -2.9°
Toe .18°

Rear Right:
Camber -2.5°
Toe .19°
Old 10-28-2013, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cutting out the arms sux i had to do both my front lca one rear lca and both rear toe arms. word of advice when assembling everything back together lube it all up so it does not seize again.

also i noticed the only difference between es and power flex is the front compliance bushing. all the others seem like the standard twi piece design. unless the quality of the poly in power flex is better id just go with their compliance bushings and go with es for all the others.

p.s. if ur rear toe arms are seized u might as well order the megan rear bump-steer kit.

Quick Reply: Bushing Kit questions