Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

Massive s2k meet

Old 02-16-2010, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in
Old 02-16-2010, 02:39 PM

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,680 Posts

Originally Posted by Zippy,Feb 7 2010, 02:42 PM
I'll repeat what the others have said, it's a lot of work. I hosted the vintage Spring Fling in Cape May last May. That was only 40 cars and a lot of work. Logitics, cash, flow, liabilities, hotels, restaurants, and the list goes on.

S2KDays was in Lake George NY in 2008, and it's in Asheville this year. There are some significant sized meets on the east coast and the NE is also had quite a few. Noreaster last year and 2007, and Fall Crawl which is on again this year is in the Berkshires. Actually most of the bigger meets seem to be on the east coast.

You want to plan one, pick a date, pick a place for 2011 and post it. And just be ready to do a whole bunch of work, and don't count on having near as much help as you would like. That's how they work, ask jfo about FC2005.
Ken.

Going with what Ken has described, it's a lot of work. The ducks have to be in a row.

I've assisted with the Nor'Easter 06 and 08 in New England. The first one we had about 75 cars, the last, we were hard pressed to have 40. The economy was just going south, a lot of young guys didn't seem to want to commit to the weekend by registering and paying a deposit which is a must for a large event. You will have minimums to be met for banquets, etc.

You have to secure a hotel, you have to be in an area which interests not only those in your area, but others who will have to make a longer drive. A track event is not a draw for many people and it's expensive.

Basically, the planning is almost like planning a wedding. Hotel, banquets, entertainment, things to do, drive route, insurance and the like.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but you've got a lot of homework to do to plan a large scale event.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:05 AM

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Francesco,Feb 9 2010, 04:54 AM
One thing I know for sure is that a meet of this caliber could not take place in PA or NJ.
I would disagree with you here. The Fall Colors meets were always in the Central to Western Pa areas, and FC04 drew 180 cars.

The draw was really the meet itself. The drive was quite good and will probably be repeated for Spring Fling 10, (which has 40 cars and waiting list of 5-6 at this time.) Rick also had a deal with Beaver Run, but this was not the biggest part of the event (although the parade laps with 150+ S cars was quite impressive).

The S2KCA Gettysburg meet drew ~70 cars, and it was just a regional meet for them.

NJ is a tough location because it is another 200-300 miles from the mid-west and that can be a stopper.

Upstate NY has been a good location as well, with vintage and S2KCA having meets there with 50+ and ~100 cars respectively.

Noreaster in Mystic, Ct was nice, but traffic was a real PIA.

You need to pick a location/date based upon what will work for activities. Scout the location to see if there are hotels, restaurants and activities. Decide how many cars/people you will need to accommodate and start your plan.

Also keep in mind that you will not get a lot of the younger owners, because they have not been as involved with "weekend" events. Conversely if you try to do a one day event, you had better have a very good draw.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey,Feb 16 2010, 06:39 PM
Ken.

Going with what Ken has described, it's a lot of work. The ducks have to be in a row.

I've assisted with the Nor'Easter 06 and 08 in New England. The first one we had about 75 cars, the last, we were hard pressed to have 40. The economy was just going south, a lot of young guys didn't seem to want to commit to the weekend by registering and paying a deposit which is a must for a large event. You will have minimums to be met for banquets, etc.

You have to secure a hotel, you have to be in an area which interests not only those in your area, but others who will have to make a longer drive. A track event is not a draw for many people and it's expensive.

Basically, the planning is almost like planning a wedding. Hotel, banquets, entertainment, things to do, drive route, insurance and the like.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but you've got a lot of homework to do to plan a large scale event.
Hi Lainey.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:52 AM

You could try the Hershey area, use the farm show possibly for a meet, hershey park, the capital, etc.. Good restaurants. You could also use york, where the street rods go, use the fairgrounds for the meet. Some ideas nearby.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jay2000,Feb 17 2010, 09:52 AM
You could try the Hershey area, use the farm show possibly for a meet, hershey park, the capital, etc.. Good restaurants. You could also use york, where the street rods go, use the fairgrounds for the meet. Some ideas nearby.
Hershey, could be a good idea, I would say spring or fall might work. In the summer, thry create a lot of traffic.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Upstate New York is the place to go!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:06 AM

I would attend in a heartbeat and applaud those members that are willing organize the event. Lancaster is a boring place with poor highway infrastructure and loaded with old folks and traffic galore. Harrisburg has more facilities (lodging, restaurants and autocross sites) plus it is more scenic with the river and nearby mountains that would serve us as a spirited drive playground. I almost forgot to mention the multitude of interstate highways for easy access that intersect the area with some of the most high speed, S friendly entrance ramps I've seen anywhere coupled with low traffic density. Upper New York state is nicer, prettier, more costly, not centrally located and would be hard pressed to accommodate a large crowd. Just my thoughts on the location but will support the organizers selection.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:53 AM

IN, In , IN, did I mention I would be down?
Old 03-04-2010, 04:22 PM

Wow, just found this thread! I need to look around more. I am in! One suggestion for location, if in PA - How about State College? Big college town, lots to do, and excellent connections from east and west - and an abundance of excellent "S" roads. Just my $.02 - I'm in no matter where it is.

Quick Reply: Massive s2k meet