Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

Screwed by dealership

Old 03-03-2009, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Screwed by dealership

Guys I need some help on this one.

My girlfriend bought a car from a "reputable" dealer in Exton Coley Pontiac Buick. She purchased a used car in cash on 10/20/08 and traded her car in. Last month we were wondering where the title was and called the dealership. The person that sold us the car is no longer there and finance dept was always "we'll call you back". After a hectic month, We decide to be proactive and try to get a copy of the title directly from DMV. Turns out they didn't pay the taxes on the MV-4ST (title transfer?) form and demanding $1000~ plus mileage disclosure for the title! I immedietly call the dealership but no response. Checked the internet and bam, they're an empty lot now since january...

Don't know what to do right now... apparently my girlfriend has been driving with no registration besides the temporary one for the last 4 months. I've tried asking my buddy that's in the car biz but he's stupidly busy and can't help. I don't want to be ass'ed out $1k, Let me know if anyone can help!

THanks!
Old 03-03-2009, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seen similiar story on the news from California, hate to say but I think you are gonna have problems. Start with States Attorney Generals Office to report the problem. That is how the story played out on tv out west. SUX big time!
Old 03-04-2009, 02:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

looking into this as I know some people who used to work there
Old 03-04-2009, 03:50 AM

I'd recommend a lawyer.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:30 AM

Good luck with this Howard. Let us know how this works out. At least the car runs good though right?
Old 03-04-2009, 07:54 AM

Car works... but technically not driveable because we just past the 90 day temp registration...

Called the DMV and they said to fax whatever we have to them. They should call us back in 5 days. Hopefully not with a response to pay the whole 1k... =(
Old 03-04-2009, 09:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That was going to be my suggestion, send the DMV a copy of your receipt showing that you paid a total that included tax and title. Granted I do not know if they still have to take the hit, but at least that will get them looking into if they got money from the lot.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Former Moderator

Well as long as you have a receipt you have proof of sale. You might not need a lawyer, the DMV might work with you. You might have to deal with Harrisburg though and get them the information.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:58 AM

There's one thing about going out of business, but another thing to evade tax liabilites by screwing the customer. I believe we may have to take this to small claims court with the original owner of the dealership.

Who knows, with today's conditions, they may be lenient on me and take it up with the dealership. I'm only thinking positive right now... =(
Old 03-04-2009, 12:49 PM

Hopefully you didn't owe anything on the other car, there was a few sotries here in the Lancaster area that people traded their cars in for another car and 2 months later they were getting collection calls on their old car. Here the dealer went out of business and never paid the other car off and now the car owner is stuck with dealing with collections about a car he doesn't have anymore.

Quick Reply: Screwed by dealership