Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes

Old 06-01-2010, 01:00 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes

Not sure if this is dinner and a movie but there are some TV shows here so...

Circa 2006 or so a program came on BBC called Life on Mars, it was cloned by US TV, I think ABC, and cancelled. The UK program ran two years and then a sequel came along called Ashes to Ashes,which ran for three years and just ended.

This is some of the most original TV I have ever seen. Double entondras aside it is packed with superb story line and acting.

No Spoilers: Sam Tyler a modern day London Detective Inspector is hit by a car and lands in a coma, he wakes up in 1973, he might as well be on Mars . He just wants to get back home, or is he dead? That's life on mars. The ending of the program is epic and perfectly done/written.

Ashes to Ashes: Detective Inspector Alex Drake is shot in the head in modern day London circa 2008, she wakes up as a cop on 1981, is she dead or in a coma, she just wants to get back home. Some of the same characters populate both series police stations. There in lies the best part of this series, the characters and the writing. This series ends with the truth of both revealed wonderfully and completely.

There is fast driving, supernatural foo, hard talking British Cop Shows one liners, some action, hard drinking, rights are violated, villians,lots of characters, an underlying scifi element, almost every thing that happens has more than one meaning, there is an underlying theme here that makes sense of both series you don't learn till the ending of Ashes which just happened last month. And the ending will not dissapoint.

You can get a taste of this on Youtube and you can buy the DVD's of the programs via Amazon. If you likes X files or even Lost you will enjoy these,they are book ends but that does not unfold right away.

Those of you who have seen these program know what I am talking about.

I think "DCI Gene Hunt" will go down as an iconic character so if you see that name mentioned anyplace you know where to find out about him.