Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

Munich

Old 05-18-2006, 01:46 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Munich

Yeah I know I am late to the party on this one because it was in the theater about 6 months ago........

I was interested in this movie becuase it was a serious topic, supposed to be historically accurate, and was a Spielberg film. Review were mostly not great and ......I would have to agree.

Since this took place when I was three I had interest in the terrorist attack and how it was handled. This to me was the most intriguing part of the story but mostly glossed over by the film. There is a 1 minute treatment of it at the beginning of the movie, followed by numerous flashbacks that go into more detail, including one during the most awkward sex scene on film. I actually burst out laughing at one point during the scene.

The athletes themselves are not touched on by name and are not characters in the movie, just extras. The film is about the hunt for people involved and their assasination.

The movie starts out with the group picked to do the dirty work and showing what bungling assassins they are and how it affects them as people. It is supposed to show how for most it just gets easier to kill, the emotion and humanity goes away. And then the lust to kill more "terrorists" becomes greater.

The assassins fall into paranoia, it becomes hard to figure out who is working with them and who is against them. Lots of the dialog is somewhat cryptic but I think more so than was intended. And the last 45 minutes of the 2 1/2 hour movie drags.

Lots I found interesting but lots of it was a complete mess from a film making standpoint. Unless you are dying to rent it, you can probably live without it. I was looking forward to it and it kept my attention but it is an easy movie to forget if you know what I am saying.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found it to be one the best movies for 2005. And Spielberg himself stated that its NOT supposed to be "historicaly accurate"...its not supposed to be a documentary. Its a drama based off actual events.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to say it, but this was the worst movie I've seen as an adult. Read great reviews, heard good things, then was completely disapointed. I'm usually very open minded about movies and find myself defending many movies that other people think were poorly done, but this one drove me crazy. I couldn't wait for the finishing credits, had I driven to see it I would've walked out an hour in. I saw it with my brother and dad, and they couldn't stand it either, my father's just too much of an optimist to walk out on a movie.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked it.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:19 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

i just rented it and wanted to like it...i found it dark and brooding, mumbled dialogue, too many characters, depressing the way in which it was presented.

the political message was a mixed one , don't know if it was his intention or just a way of showing both sides are/were flawed. did not like the film.

i have seen this story in another film years ago and remember the events. this was a tough subject to tell a story about and keep interest...it also went on too long. i would have done it differently.

i think the subject matter is important, after all it was the effective birth of modern terrorism as we know it and the openeing shots heard worldwide of the war as we now know it to be. this could have been done differently and points better made, so i fault the script and the direction for the repeated dark scenes, rainy locals, nightime shots, and mumbles mixed language dialogue, it could have been done just fine without rapid subtitles to distract as example.

sorry steven, this one is not on my "A" list.