Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

Official Making a Murderer Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 01:23 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Official Making a Murderer Thread

Post your thoughts. You know you watched it. Do not read if you have not seen it because spoilers are likely.

My thoughts: Steven Avery 100% guilty
Brendon Dassey 100% not guilty.

Brendon I thought was typical false confession from a seriously limited individual. For those people familiar with Of Mice and Men, Brendon is Lennie all the way.

I don't lose any sleep over Steven, but Brendon's plight really bothers me, and I hate all of the "Free Steven" BS when I think Brendon is the real travesty.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious why you think Avery was guilty..
Old 01-08-2016, 09:22 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by xpressive
Just curious why you think Avery was guilty..

Where to start?

So he was the last person to see the woman alive, her car is found on his property and her remains in his firepit. Not to mention he got his nephew to help him tend a big hot bonfire the night she disappeared. That pretty much sealed it for me mainly because to believe the police framed him would be to believe either they found her dead at random by someone else's hand and decided to pin it on him, or the police murdered her and tried to frame him. One was plausible (and actually pretty likely) and the other one was extremely far fetched.

I do think much of the evidence was suspect. The confession was bogus and he obviously did not kill her in his trailer but somewhere else. The bullet evidence and the key were sketchy at best. But the movie makers wanted a show that would pull you in, make you question and keep you guessing. They did a masterful job of using key evidence by the prosecution that was dubious, but left out some more that pointed to guilt that was more clear cut.

Now, I could certainly be willing to grant that the police and prosecutor may have stretched things, planted the key, or gone over the line to make sure he got convicted, but I think he really did do it even if they could not find the location it happened or the manner of death. Did they go out of there way to put the screws to him because of who he was? Sure, but I think he did it.

I also read and watched other information after the documentary(factual) from news stories and his criminal history that made me completely positive about my assessment, but my mind was made up before hearing them. The prosecutor eludes to some of this in recent news stories but does not go into detail.

Was a fun watch though. Everyone here at the office has seen it or is watching it and has wasted lots of company time around here discussing.

Your opinion of the case?
Old 01-13-2016, 02:52 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

At the end of the series itself I couldn't believe either were convicted... but then I jump online and read about so many things that were left out of the documentary:

http://www.avclub.com/article/read-d...making--230224

or

http://www.avclub.com/article/read-p...t-makin-230634

I couldn't believe that a psychologist/therapist of some sort wasn't brought in to show that Brendan was a pathological liar and not even capable of the crimes accused. My wife works as a teacher with special ed kids and commented on how so many kids diagnosed with MR also pathologically lie about serious things for attention. They do not understand the implications of such lies. I thought someone would have pointed that out for Brendan.