Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

Serenity

Old 10-01-2005, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Serenity

It was very good if you're a Firefly fan, like me.

It could have been done as a multi-epsiode set on the TV series but I suppose the author/director wanted more money for special effects.

Not to give away any spoilers but the only thing that bothers me is how Firefly's entire crew survives the worst situations... until now. It was not necessary to the plot to have the movie do otherwise. I suppose some actors might not have wanted to participate in any sequels or series continuations?

Anyway, the movie manages to continue the edgy comedy-drama feeling of the series and the ensemble cast still works well. I'm not sure how well it'll fly with people who have zero history with the series. So, any of you see Serenity but never saw Firefly?
Old 10-05-2005, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i liked the movie, and i refused to watch firefly when it first came out because i thought it was such a ripoff of cowboy bebop. but i eventually got into firefly from the dvd's and really liked serenity.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:59 PM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

I saw the movie. Not as good as the shows, partly because the usual pace is thrown off by trying to get a lot of background in, but a good movie none the less. Not happy about the "final leaf" moment, didn't see much purpose in that and it was pretty cheap.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Oct 8 2005, 10:59 PM
I saw the movie. Not as good as the shows, partly because the usual pace is thrown off by trying to get a lot of background in, but a good movie none the less. Not happy about the "final leaf" moment, didn't see much purpose in that and it was pretty cheap.
I thought it was better than the series. Plotting and pacing of TV and movies are totally different, that's not really what I mean. What I thought was better was that everything seemed just a little more thought-out. Firefly always had a slight edge of "we're working this out one step ahead of you" feeling to it, but the movie feels much more complete.

It was a tough balancing act between not boring the fans who knew the story and not mystifying the new viewers who didn't, but I thought they pulled it off well.

And who could be happy about that scene you mention? It did pack a powerful jolt of emotion, though. And no fan of Buffy should have been surprised. Joss can be a right bastard in that respect. Like when he killed off Anya, for instance.