Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Discussion thread for future dragon events

Old 07-04-2012, 04:47 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,601 Likes on 1,909 Posts
Default Discussion thread for future dragon events

Discussion can continue here.

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:21 AM
Ron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Discussion can continue here.

Thanks.
Good idea. Thanks for creating the thread.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:33 AM
Ron

Thank you for responding, Mikey. A reasonable voice with lack of hyperbole is appreciated.

I really don't understand the aversion to polling the members. A poll only has the choices we put in it, the original date or the new date. There'd be a clear majority for one or another date. We'd _Know_, not guess that we were scheduling a date that most could attend. Remember, I spent years helping to organize and know what it's like to get shot at by the fish in the barrel.

I also understand the desire to keep anything smacking of negativity off the forum but that's done by responding to peoples concerns (heh heh) and not asking that any questions be pursued by PM. There will always be trolls in a community but the vast majority are good people. As a good friend of mine once said, "It's all about the people."

I'll respond to anything directed at me but I don't really have anything more to say on the subject. There will be people that will be able to change their plans and some that won't. It's an unfortunate situation any way we go. And I do appreciate people stepping up to organize, I'd just like to see more consideration given to the whole group.

Now, let's get back to talking about cars, driving and the silly things people do on the Dragon.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:35 AM

Received 158 Likes on 143 Posts

I think we all need to take a step back..... and start to think what we really want out of events starting next year.

This year's September event will be a rushed event... I'm sure some things will be missed/overlooked due to the rush to get it lined up. I'm glad Ken stepped up and took off running with it to get the event going.

OK... going forward....

As a group, we need to agree on who is going to head up the organizing of the events and then let that person find people willing to help out. What would be the best way to do this? Start up a thread asking for an "lead organizer"? Then do a poll to "elect" that person?

Hopefully whoever heads up the event, will do it for a couple of years, and then make a organized hand off (notes, documentation, contracts, ideas, etc) to the person taking over for them.

Would also like to suggest having a thread to develop the logos for the next couple of years. Lets pick someone, give them some ideas/guidance/etc, and turn them loose. Let them come up with a couple of potential logos and then vote on them. Why not have the logos ready a year in advance, instead of rushing all the time?

I think it has been well stated that most people would prefer to have the event(s) at Fontana, so maybe we could plan farther out in advance and sign a multi-year contract?

Just my two cents worth.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:45 AM
Ron

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000
I think we all need to take a step back..... and start to think what we really want out of events starting next year.

This year's September event will be a rushed event... I'm sure some things will be missed/overlooked due to the rush to get it lined up. I'm glad Ken stepped up and took off running with it to get the event going.

OK... going forward....

As a group, we need to agree on who is going to head up the organizing of the events and then let that person find people willing to help out. What would be the best way to do this? Start up a thread asking for an "lead organizer"? Then do a poll to "elect" that person?

Hopefully whoever heads up the event, will do it for a couple of years, and then make a organized hand off (notes, documentation, contracts, ideas, etc) to the person taking over for them.

Would also like to suggest having a thread to develop the logos for the next couple of years. Lets pick someone, give them some ideas/guidance/etc, and turn them loose. Let them come up with a couple of potential logos and then vote on them. Why not have the logos ready a year in advance, instead of rushing all the time?

I think it has been well stated that most people would prefer to have the event(s) at Fontana, so maybe we could plan farther out in advance and sign a multi-year contract?

Just my two cents worth.

I vote for Mikey as supreme organizer! :
Old 07-04-2012, 07:03 AM

Received 973 Likes on 666 Posts

I think Ron should do it.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:16 AM
Ron

I've already had my turn in the barrel.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:26 AM

Received 973 Likes on 666 Posts

Even though there's a smiley there, I'm not being facetious. Who else has attended every Dragon Event and even created extras events so they can be there more often? Who was at the origin when the Atlanta guys started Wake The Dragon (no, Raul really didn't create the name, but he's definitely associated with it). Who else would have a time-share at Fontana so that they can check with management there at any time without worrying about being able to get a room? Who else is as familiar with the Dragon. Seems to me this is an excellent fit (and opportunity) to continue the legacy of WTD and DBR with someone who was there at the birth.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Community Organizer

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

I have seen a lot of good points and bad points to what is going on over the last couple of days. Everyone has a right to voice their options on this public forum. With the time restrictions for even doing this we all need to understand the issues at hand. First the date, now I am sorry that I delete the threads about the other dates. If you remember Fontana Village (FV) had the other event going on and rooms were going to be hard to come by. If we all want to stay at the same location those dates were booked solid at FV. Second I know a lot of you have already made vacation plans and book your lodging. But we all need to look at what is best for the group not just what we want. I personally change my reservations three times with FV. I am fairly new to the events up there and have enjoyed all the time I have spent there. Made many friends with the same interests the roads, cars and places we all love to drive. That is why I will always attend any dragon event to see old friends and met new ones. Yes it is about the people, but we all need to get better at talking to each other and not bashing each other. No one wins when this start and it makes any first timer rethink why he or she is planning to attend. After my first event I really had to rethink if the trip, event and cost was worth it. WTD was some big with all the S2000 and people there I almost felt lost inside the group. Then last year I attended BDR, with the smaller group I got to really spend time with others and really enjoyed the event even with all the issues during DBR. Again we are not doing a good job. Everyone knows that you will never please everyone all the time. Some people just love to complain about everything. If we need to elect or select a person or persons to make all the plans for future event that works for me, but we all need to help and not verbally attach that organizer. As Forrest Gump would say "that"s all I have to say about that" Really looking forward to see all of you up there in September. Later BD
Old 07-04-2012, 11:14 AM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Bama Dave' timestamp='[url="tel:1341427797"
1341427797[/url]' post='21833982]
I have seen a lot of good points and bad points to what is going on over the last couple of days. Everyone has a right to voice their options on this public forum. With the time restrictions for even doing this we all need to understand the issues at hand. First the date, now I am sorry that I delete the threads about the other dates. If you remember Fontana Village (FV) had the other event going on and rooms were going to be hard to come by. If we all want to stay at the same location those dates were booked solid at FV. Second I know a lot of you have already made vacation plans and book your lodging. But we all need to look at what is best for the group not just what we want. I personally change my reservations three times with FV. I am fairly new to the events up there and have enjoyed all the time I have spent there. Made many friends with the same interests the roads, cars and places we all love to drive. That is why I will always attend any dragon event to see old friends and met new ones. Yes it is about the people, but we all need to get better at talking to each other and not bashing each other. No one wins when this start and it makes any first timer rethink why he or she is planning to attend. After my first event I really had to rethink if the trip, event and cost was worth it. WTD was some big with all the S2000 and people there I almost felt lost inside the group. Then last year I attended BDR, with the smaller group I got to really spend time with others and really enjoyed the event even with all the issues during DBR. Again we are not doing a good job. Everyone knows that you will never please everyone all the time. Some people just love to complain about everything. If we need to elect or select a person or persons to make all the plans for future event that works for me, but we all need to help and not verbally attach that organizer. As Forrest Gump would say "that"s all I have to say about that" Really looking forward to see all of you up there in September. Later BD
Well said Dave.

Quick Reply: Discussion thread for future dragon events