Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

The Dragon bites... even when not being an asshat

Old 04-27-2017, 09:10 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default The Dragon bites... even when not being an asshat

I have to share my story on what happened to me today. It's embarrassing. It's frustrating. It's unacceptable. It's a head scratcher, but it happened and I hope my story will save a person from doing the same.

Today, I had my first accident that sustained damage on my car since I started driving at 17, because I was going TOO EASY!

I went out as the lead with a few of my buddies around 5pm to hit hellbender then go to the overlook point on the dragon.

The pace was easy. When I mean easy, it was 3rd gear the whole way through. The road was still drying up but there were a few wet spots, no biggie. Earlier in the day I drove the skyway back and forth 2 times in rain, fog, wind, rocks, and anything else you can think of with full confidence. The drives were great. I had a blast. I know my car real well. I actually enjoy driving in the rain because my input and outputs have to be even more precise than in the dry.

I know the dragon real well. This is my 4th year attending the dragon. I have a huge respect for it. But what happened was I let my guard down for this drive, since I was going at an easy pace.

I knew gravity cavity was coming, I was totally prepared for it, but what I didn't prepare for was the instant traction my right rear wheel gave me when I hit a bone dry part of road right before entering the cavity. I didn't let off, I didn't brake, I didn't do anything wrong besides letting my guard down, because I assumed it was an easy run. My right rear wheel slipped about 2 feet off and I did a full 180 spin and ended up like I was coming the other way. My speed was around 35-36mph. I slid about 40 feet. While it was such a small amount off and such a small spin, it's the dragon. There's zero room for error. It's unacceptable.

The point I want to make is even if you are just taking it easy out there, please be focued like your life literally depended on it. I was lucky. My fender now has 2 little bumps in it. That's all, but it could have been so much worse.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:40 AM

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Glad that didn't end worse for you! Enjoy the rest of your trip and be careful out there
Old 04-28-2017, 06:11 AM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

lol.
The following users liked this post:
JHo (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 06:22 AM
JHo

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm glad nobody else got caught up, and that you made it our relatively OK.

Last edited by JHo; 04-28-2017 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey that's a great story, Larry
j0nwall (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 06:50 AM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Time to change that username
The following 4 users liked this post by Alexs '05:
funat9000rpm (05-01-2017), j0nwall (04-28-2017), JHo (04-28-2017), PJCC (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 08:02 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

It's a bitch being the First Penguin.

You familiar with concept of First Penguin? Sharks, seals, and others feed on penguins. A flock of penguins typically lets the First Penguin dive in the ocean first while they watch. Same concept in a group drive.

-- Chuck
The following 2 users liked this post by Chuck S:
j0nwall (04-28-2017), SkiLLeDS2000 (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 10:28 AM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

Unfortunately, this is why there's a low speed limit on that that road. Not everyone can handle safe travel down there, even in the best conditions, with a good car, traveling at conservative road speeds. Oh well.
JHo (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiLLeDS2000
I have to share my story on what happened to me today. It's embarrassing. It's frustrating. It's unacceptable. It's a head scratcher, but it happened and I hope my story will save a person from doing the same.

Today, I had my first accident that sustained damage on my car since I started driving at 17, because I was going TOO EASY!

I went out as the lead with a few of my buddies around 5pm to hit hellbender then go to the overlook point on the dragon.

The pace was easy. When I mean easy, it was 3rd gear the whole way through. The road was still drying up but there were a few wet spots, no biggie. Earlier in the day I drove the skyway back and forth 2 times in rain, fog, wind, rocks, and anything else you can think of with full confidence. The drives were great. I had a blast. I know my car real well. I actually enjoy driving in the rain because my input and outputs have to be even more precise than in the dry.

I know the dragon real well. This is my 4th year attending the dragon. I have a huge respect for it. But what happened was I let my guard down for this drive, since I was going at an easy pace.

I knew gravity cavity was coming, I was totally prepared for it, but what I didn't prepare for was the instant traction my right rear wheel gave me when I hit a bone dry part of road right before entering the cavity. I didn't let off, I didn't brake, I didn't do anything wrong besides letting my guard down, because I assumed it was an easy run. My right rear wheel slipped about 2 feet off and I did a full 180 spin and ended up like I was coming the other way. My speed was around 35-36mph. I slid about 40 feet. While it was such a small amount off and such a small spin, it's the dragon. There's zero room for error. It's unacceptable.

The point I want to make is even if you are just taking it easy out there, please be focued like your life literally depended on it. I was lucky. My fender now has 2 little bumps in it. That's all, but it could have been so much worse.
Hey that's a great story, Larry!
Old 04-28-2017, 10:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiLLeDS2000
My speed was around 35-36mph.
That's like what, 35.5mph?

Glad you're ok!
Alexs '05 (05-02-2017)

Quick Reply: The Dragon bites... even when not being an asshat