Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

First RTD adventure

Old 04-21-2013, 10:38 AM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts
Default First RTD adventure

For the past 11 years, s2ki, the s2000 online community, hosted the Tail of the Dragon spring event. 120 cars, 175 attendees, and several excellent days of piling on the miles. For those that have not driven the "Dragon", do yourself a favour and drive the 1000 plus kms to enjoy the roads that surround it. Yes, the Dragon is the destination, but its the roads nearby that truly are more memorable...and less travelled.

You'll find some fantastic shots of Tennessee and North Carolina below. Enjoy.

I arrived late thursday night to gatlinburg, TN and met up with several of the canadian contingent for dinner at Park Grill. Actually, I stayed with Curt and his brother, Jeff (black second gen s2000). Through torrential rains made it back to fontana village resort then woke and hit the roads.

First day, 10 cars travelled together.

Scenic look out on the Cherohala Skyway. It was on this road we came across a sport biker who had crashed his bike just minutes before we blasted through. They were able to get his crumpled bike over the guard rails- he was not in good shape with likely some broken ribs and maybe more.

Neat waterfall feature just before we had late lunch of southern BBQ.

On Saturday, the whole contingent did a monster roll out on US 129 at a "brisk" pace, then parked for photos. Then it was time to tour some more.

Fontana Dam- largest dam in the eastern US.

These are the spillway tunnels for overflow. Absolutely monstrous- and there's two of them. For scale, in the background you can see the buildings. When these are opened the flume at the bottom is 150 feet high and 400 feet long.

Tunnel on the "Road to Nowhere". This is just outside Bryson City on highways 9. It was built and never completed. It was built to connect Fontana (near the dam) and Bryson City. Found a great sandwich place for lunch called the Filling Station- had a gasoline station theme- appropriate.

That tunnel is about 800 feel long. Just beyond the tunnel the road stops.

Tunnel Blasting on the Blueridge Skyway.

So, 3500 kilometre round trip. 1000 there, 1000 back. Do the math and its about 750 kms per day just tooling around and enjoying the best roads i've ever been on. At the lookouts, you'd hear the hot cars ticking themselves cool, proof that the last road was the best yet. Then you'd hit another road, park and remark that was even better.

We stayed at Fontana Village Resort- lots of great cabins and picturesque surroundings.

Its not all roses, however. This part of the network was down- this is part of the skyway, US441. Thanks to curt- jvf1- for the pix.

In my mind, it was US 28, leading from Franklin to Fontana (about 75 minutes drive time plus or minus) which was the best road. Endless corners, challenging cornering speeds, mountain vistas, no police (did i say that out loud). It was all great until you come across traffic...which in all cases but one (pesky silver, automatic Rx-8), pull over to let you pass to continue to fun. Imagine driving our slalom events at 8/10ths for nearly a whole day!

This was my first s2ki Dragon event. Can't wait for next year.

darcy
Old 04-21-2013, 11:22 AM

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Great write - up...Darcy ...!!! Glad you enjoyed it....

It was our 21st trip with the Ohio Crew ....!!! You know, we have one in the Fall of the year, too...??? Warmer weather, fewer people...& great scenery.....
Old 04-21-2013, 11:50 AM

Received 151 Likes on 136 Posts

The roads down there never get boring!

But then, we are always looking for new ones!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:20 PM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Loved the writeup and the pictures. You pictured something I never knew was in the area. In my 15 or more trips I have never heard of the road to nowhere with that tunnel.

Glad you and your northern friends came and enjoyed it. Hope to see you again.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:37 PM

Received 151 Likes on 136 Posts

Those crazy Canadians came prepared.....

Their drive down was an adventure, then Marion, and then they knew which roads they wanted to drive near the Dragon.....

Took some planning, but it sounds like they had one hell of a roadtrip!!!!
Old 04-21-2013, 03:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happy to see more Canadians invading down south!

Hope to meet you at some point here in Ontario Darcy, and I'll definitely see you at the dragon next year.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:26 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Great recap. Nice to meet your crew

-Jeff (black ap1)
Old 04-21-2013, 05:35 PM

Received 199 Likes on 157 Posts

Darcyw is that your grey car with the 115 on the doors?
Old 04-21-2013, 06:06 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Bama Dave
yes. the magnetic sheeting protects the paint at speed and it is my slalom (autocross) number...and the number of bags of ketchup chips I ate in one sitting.

darcy
Old 04-21-2013, 06:22 PM

Received 199 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
Originally Posted by Bama Dave' timestamp='1366594538' post='22489293
yes. the magnetic sheeting protects the paint at speed and it is my slalom (autocross) number...and the number of bags of ketchup chips I ate in one sitting.

darcy
Glad to hear that. Fontana Is looking for you about do donuts on the wet grass after the friday night dinner. Can you please call them and talk with them about this issue. Just kidding man. Your write up is great and thanks for the story. Hope to see you again next year. I also use them for autocross. Later BD.

Quick Reply: First RTD adventure