Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

FRS (Talkabout) Two-Way Radio Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 04:18 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default FRS (Talkabout) Two-Way Radio Thread

Okay, everyone, here is the official info for FRS Radios:
  • Dragon Channel will be: 5
  • Code will be: 0 (since some radios don't have codes 0 works with all radios)
  • Scramble Mode: OFF (Motorola Radios)
  • VOX (Auto voice activation): OFF (unless you know how to use it, it will keep an unwanted open channel)
  • VOX Sensitivity (if used): Set to low or 1 (for Motorola Radios)
  • Roger (confirm. beep): OFF (ON is very annoying)
  • Power Save: Set to 1 hour (save your batteries)

Note: For Motorola radios, if you power on with a headset plugged in, VOX will be automatically activated.

If anyone has any questions on the Motorola radios just ask !
Old 08-15-2001, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since a thread has been started, I'll ask the question. I currently don't have one. Still debating b/t batteries and NiCad... Any suggestions?
Old 08-15-2001, 06:08 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

dbkelly, I work with batteries on a daily basis. Here are my suggestions:

Rechargeable Battery Vs. Alkaline 101

If you use the device (CD player/radio, MP3 Player, PDA, digital camera) on a regular basis then rechargeable batteries are the way to go. In the long run they are cheaper to operate than using Alkaline batteries.

If you use the device on an infrequent basis then just buy some alkaline batteries and keep them handy for when you need them. Don't store them in the device as they may leak.

If the device has rechargeable batteries and you don't use it all of the time (at least 3-4 times a month) then when you go to use it the batteries will not be charged. (This happens to me and my cordless drill, I need to give it 24 hours notice before I use it).

The latest mid and high tier Motorola radios can use either AA Alkaline or rechargeable batteries so your good to go if you get any of the 6000 series units.

Lastly, don't buy anything with Nickel Cadmium batteries if you can help it. Aside from not being very environmentally friendly, they don't work as well as Nickel Metal batteries - fewer charges and lower capacity from NiCd.

Hope this helped.
Old 08-15-2001, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Yeah, I knew they didn't use NiCad batteries but I couldn't think of 'NiMh' batteries at the time. Thanks for all the information.

The reason I asked is about a month ago some friends of mine did a camping outing in which we had FRS radios. The owner kept telling me to keep the talking to a min. to preserve the batteries (he had the rechargeable kind). I kept thinking for something like this having regular AA batteries would be better! Figured I'd post and ask what others were using.
Old 08-17-2001, 12:58 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very NICE!

I believe S2K Dude is an expert in the "Motorola" division!

Great info and this will be great in keeping us all in the loop during the event!

Nice work!