Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

A great time, an accident and a desire to go right back!

Old 07-13-2003, 02:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A great time, an accident and a desire to go right back!

We had a blast! I just wanted to make a quick post to thank everyone for a great weekend, and a special BIG thank you to Airgate for getting us all together again. It was classic Dragon, plus some great new folks, and a great time all around. No real time for details or pics yet, but here's a quick recap.

There were over a dozen S2Ks (and one guest Miata) gathered for the Dragon Meet (which was NOT an event, mind you, as we were repeatedly reminded!) . Saturday dawned clear and beautiful, and we headed to the Dragon around 9:00 am. Lots of great runs....the Dragon was heavy with motorcycles this weekend, one cadre of (Are they out of their MINDS?) cyclists, and one VERY out-of-place 18-wheeler. (One of our folks had a VERY close encounter)

After lunch in Robbinsville (at Subway, of course!) everyone had a chance to do their own thing. The Motorcycle Resort was unofficial "S2K Central", so we always had a place to meet up. 9 or 10 of us took a route on some side roads headed towards the Cherahola Skyway, then took a detour through the Joyce Kilmer forest, where one of our group met with disaster.

One of our Carolina own, Blue Streak, spun out in the Joyce Kilmer area after hitting some gravel and going into the wet grasss, bounced off a tree and then headed for the river. Fortunately, another tree kept his car from going INTO the river. Steve's OK...needed 12 stiches in his arm and a nice head bump, but his baby looks totaled. Let me emphasize I got the information 2nd and 3rd hand, but I'm sure there will be some first-hand accounts and clarifications posted soon. The most important thing, is that he's going to be pretty sore, but is OK.

Saturday evening was a group dinner at the Texas Roadhouse (good cow and brews), and some great company. Sunday am, a smaller group went back to the Dragon for some final runs, but the roads were really wet. We took a side trip to the Tapoco Lodge to purchase Tail of the Dragon T-shirts, and check out the lodge as a possible location for future meets. Everyone headed home after that.

Ron and I just got home, and I need a shower and the baby needs a bath. We got some great shots with SC_Highlander's bumper cam, which we'll try to post later. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE....DragonBall is going to be even greater!!!
Old 07-13-2003, 02:57 PM

Received 800 Likes on 711 Posts

Good to see you both again... Glad I didn't venture to the Dragon this morning (from Knoxville) only to find wet roads.

Old 07-13-2003, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting Sheila. It sounds like a good time was had by all but one.

Old 07-13-2003, 11:07 PM

hey guys (and gals), me and my friend met some guys from S2000 Atlanta a little while back and were gonna meet em up there, but i think everybody from atlanta canceled. Me and my friend went up anyway, this was our 2nd time up there. We saw you guys a few times and waved. I was in a blue SVT Focus and he was in a blue RSX Type-S. We had a blast. Well i was just gonna say hey, hope you guys had fun

(i posted this in the meet and cruise thread too, sorry for cross-post)
Old 07-14-2003, 05:08 AM

Just wanted to say it was really great to meet everyone this weekend. I was continually amazed at how friendly everyone was, and of course with The Dragon. What an amazing strech of road, I know I have a lot of learning to do before the next drive!! Take care, all.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was great meeting you and Ron this time around Shelia. Hope to see you again in the fall!
Your account of Steve's misfortune is pretty accurate. Nate and Beth got some good pics of the damage - I hope they can post them. Steve was very composed about the whole ordeal (I couldn't take something like that half as well as he did). Hope to see him back in the saddle real soon!
Old 07-14-2003, 02:10 PM

Hi everyone, The story is all wrong! I was the those two Geico squirrels in the TV commercial on vacation in the NC Mountains up to their standing in the middle of the road. Do you buy that? The officer all most did. But, it was lose rocks in a curve. Just hurt my pride and my hot sexy car. Just glad to be here!!!!!!!!!!!! Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their surport and just being their. I don't think I have meet a better group of people who enjoy "the ride". I will have to say that Honda did their job with the car, as it took the punch. And, some help from someone above! I plan to be at the next Dragon run on my tricycle. Do plan to get Blue Streak II. Thanks again everyone.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:13 PM

I have no problem with anyone posting photos of the mishap.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:31 PM

Received 165 Likes on 147 Posts

Yep, it was a meet, no event!! Main reason for the difference, is there was no hose to wash our cars!!

Had a great time, seeing old friends, and making new ones.

One thing left out about Blue Streaks adventure........

After Blue Streak had his unfortuante episode, instead of going to the hospital to get his arm cleaned up and stitched, he followed the wrecker so he could get his sway bar and stereo out of the car!!! Thank goodness none of them hound dogs from back in the woods smelled the blood, they would have been all over him!

See you all in September (except for those heading to the F1 race!).
Old 07-14-2003, 08:15 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Blue Streak
[B] Hi everyone,

Quick Reply: A great time, an accident and a desire to go right back!