Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Guess what I did today?

Old 05-14-2013, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guess what I did today?

No really, go ahead, guess! No? Ok fine, I'll tell you because I can't hold it in anymore; I drove the $@%#×&!!! Dragon that's what! Sure, you might say I'm just a tad bit excited. Okay I'm really excited, because I'm from Dallas and we don't have curves in Dallas. Just had to share that it was the best time I've ever had my car, and if you get a chance you really should take a trip out here and drive it. The people here are amazing too. Had to make the trip without my husband, so I drove it solo, but the people I met were all very cool.

Anyway, that's all, really. Thanks for listening.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:52 PM

but where are the pics or vids?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now go drive at least 50 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's more fun overall in my opinion (better views, more open, faster, and doesn't require you to be "on edge" the whole time). Just over an hour to get there from Deals Gap.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:58 AM

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

Okay, I've driven the full length of the Blue Ridge Parkway (469 miles, IIRC), and it doesn't compare to the twisties of the Dragon. It's enjoyable for other reasons, but much more of a laid back drive. To get your kicks and enjoy the car's handling, it's the Dragon for me. I'd rank the Cherohala Skyway above the parkway, for driving enjoyment, thought it's still more of a scenic drive. I also remember a stretch of VA 8 just off the BR Parkway that had some tight and heavily banked curves and was lots of fun.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:23 AM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffbrig
Okay, I've driven the full length of the Blue Ridge Parkway (469 miles, IIRC), and it doesn't compare to the twisties of the Dragon. It's enjoyable for other reasons, but much more of a laid back drive. To get your kicks and enjoy the car's handling, it's the Dragon for me. I'd rank the Cherohala Skyway above the parkway, for driving enjoyment, thought it's still more of a scenic drive. I also remember a stretch of VA 8 just off the BR Parkway that had some tight and heavily banked curves and was lots of fun.
I suppose ranking them depends more on what you are after. Pure insanity and driving like a maniac, Dragon all the way. But for me, the open sweeping curves of the Blue Ridge Parkway plus the actual views (unlike the heavily wooded Dragon) made it more fun for me. I should add, I was with a group of 4 cars total and we drove the Parkway at an average speed of around 60, getting up over 80 a few times on the wide open areas with no traffic in sight. You'd be lucky to ever break 60 on the Dragon and if you did it would be for a second or two at most, and you'd have to pray there wasn't a cop around the next blind corner or you're done.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geekette70
No really, go ahead, guess! No? Ok fine, I'll tell you because I can't hold it in anymore; I drove the $@%#×&!!! Dragon that's what! Sure, you might say I'm just a tad bit excited. Okay I'm really excited, because I'm from Dallas and we don't have curves in Dallas. Just had to share that it was the best time I've ever had my car, and if you get a chance you really should take a trip out here and drive it. The people here are amazing too. Had to make the trip without my husband, so I drove it solo, but the people I met were all very cool.

Go to the North Texas forum and you will see the No Straight Lines drive on the 26th.

If you get outside of the DFW area you can get some nice roads.

The next closest thing is the semi annual Boston Mountains tour where you run Dragon like roads in Northern Arkansas.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:14 PM

Photos here from US129Photos.com. Had her cleaned up nice and pretty for the cameras. The few on Moondshinephoto.com were just 'okay.' Killboy hasn't posted yet. Video to come after some editing (apparently I curse more than I thought I did, mainly at baggers and trikes...not the road.) Had two amazing runs that were almost completely free of traffic (going my direction anyway), unfortunately those were not the ones I videoed.

Will try to upload some video of me and a buddy today on the Cherohala Skyway, not exactly twisties, but I VTECHING most of the way (great audio!!!)

Did the Dragon 5X yesterday, as well as the Smokey Mountains loop. 3X today and the Cherohala Skyway plus Bald River Falls (BEAUTIFUL!!!) I'd say that each of them had merit for sightseeing, lazy/fun driving or just to cruise, but nothing beats the intensity of the Dragon. I'll be back next year to try out some other runs.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:37 PM

Thanks pmptx! I'll check it out.

Originally Posted by pmptx
Originally Posted by Geekette70' timestamp='1368586194' post='22542961

Go to the North Texas forum and you will see the No Straight Lines drive on the 26th.

If you get outside of the DFW area you can get some nice roads.

The next closest thing is the semi annual Boston Mountains tour where you run Dragon like roads in Northern Arkansas.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:56 PM

Received 1,052 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Syn
I was with a group of 4 cars total and we drove the Parkway at an average speed of around 60, getting up over 80 a few times on the wide open areas with no traffic in sight.
I'd say you were extremely luck on the BRP. Over 80, huh? As a bit of information you may want to stash somewhere, the BRP is Federal park land. That means if you get a ticket there, you go to court. You don't get a pay by mail ticket, you get to go to FEDERAL court in the closest town that has a Federal Courthouse. Of course, you don't have to show up, in which case, a Federal warrant is issued for your arrest and then you get a nice, comfy and warm room to wait in until you can go (oh, and the fines and court costs go up exponentially as well). The Park Police love to see a bunch of cars going fast, it gives them some excitement and it let's them know those RADAR units are working.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:01 PM

Received 1,052 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Geekette70

Glad you had a good time. You might also want to drive Rt 226A in Little Switzerland (about 1.5 hours away) and Rt 28 towards Fontana Dam (the Moonshiner 28). You might also want to drive to Franklin, NC on Rt 28 and eat at Caffe REL which is attached to the HotSpot gas station there. You should also try the Dragon burger at the Deal's Gap Store and Hotel and while you're there, check out the Tree of Shame. Lots of bits and pieces of vehicles (mostly bikes but lots of others as well) who didn't quite make that drive as successfully as you did.

Quick Reply: Guess what I did today?