Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Little Switzerland/Mt Mitchell/Rt 226 Drive on Wednesday

Old 12-01-2011, 01:16 AM

Received 982 Likes on 673 Posts
Default Little Switzerland/Mt Mitchell/Rt 226 Drive on Wednesday

We'll be leaving Fontana from the upper parking lot on Wednesday morning around 10:00am and headed out to drive Rt 226A (The Diamondback Route). Rt 226A is a hill-climb with numerous switch-backs and interesting curves. We'll drive Rt 226A up to Little Switzerland, take a break, and then head for Mt. Mitchell, the highest mountain on the East Coast. We'll drive to the top of the mountain and spend some time and take pictures. After Mt Mitchell, we'll head back down the Blue Ridge Parkway to Rt 80. MDW (my darling wife) says that if Rt 129 is the Dragon, Rt 80 should be the Anaconda. A very interesting drive with some 90 degree switchbacks and off-camber turns.

Once in Asheville, we'll be headed to a place I've eaten at a number of times when I'm in Asheville. Won't be 4 courses but I guarantee you'll leave full.. After dinner, we'll head back to Fontana and drive Rt 28 from Robbinsville. If you've never driven Rt 28 at night, you're in for a treat (unless you happen to be the opossum who was sitting in the middle of the road). We should be back at Fontana around 9:30pm.

If you'd like to come along, sign up and join in the fun.

Attendees:

1. kgf3076
2. fluky15
3. SgtB (looking for an empty seat)
4. LINESUPER
5. Bama Dave
6. JonRHD (maybe)
7. DragonDidg
8. frei
9. w!ngman
10. s2kmiami69 (tailgunning again).
Old 12-01-2011, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kgf3076
We'll be leaving Fontana from the upper parking lot on Wednesday morning around 10:00am and headed out to drive Rt 226A (The Diamondback Route). Rt 226A is a hill-climb with numerous switch-backs and interesting curves. We'll drive Rt 226A up to Little Switzerland, take a break, and then head for Mt. Mitchell, the highest mountain on the East Coast. We'll drive to the top of the mountain and spend some time and take pictures. After Mt Mitchell, we'll head back down the Blue Ridge Parkway to Rt 90. MDW (my darling wife) says that if Rt 129 is the Dragon, Rt 90 should be the Anaconda. A very interesting drive with some 90 degree switchbacks and off-camber turns.

Once in Asheville, we'll be headed to Cucina 24 for dinner. Dinner will be four courses and dessert. Ask anyone who ate there at DBRxi and they'll tell you dinner is worth every penny. It seems those four courses usually are more like 6 or 8. After dinner, we'll head back to Fontana and drive Rt 28 from Robbinsville. If you've never driven Rt 28 at night, you're in for a treat (unless you happen to be the opossum who was sitting in the middle of the road). We should be back at Fontana around 9:30pm.

hey ken, i think you mean rt 80

here are some vids of rt 80 and 226a to see what y'all are in for (driver = bama dave)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uWuNUiATAU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksyi_GB8bmo
Old 12-01-2011, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by s2kmiami69
I did. I don't know why that 90 kept sticking to my fingers.. (fixed and thanks Patrick).
Old 12-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Community Organizer

Received 206 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kmiami69
Originally Posted by kgf3076' timestamp='1322734579' post='21200633
We'll be leaving Fontana from the upper parking lot on Wednesday morning around 10:00am and headed out to drive Rt 226A (The Diamondback Route). Rt 226A is a hill-climb with numerous switch-backs and interesting curves. We'll drive Rt 226A up to Little Switzerland, take a break, and then head for Mt. Mitchell, the highest mountain on the East Coast. We'll drive to the top of the mountain and spend some time and take pictures. After Mt Mitchell, we'll head back down the Blue Ridge Parkway to Rt 90. MDW (my darling wife) says that if Rt 129 is the Dragon, Rt 90 should be the Anaconda. A very interesting drive with some 90 degree switchbacks and off-camber turns.

Once in Asheville, we'll be headed to Cucina 24 for dinner. Dinner will be four courses and dessert. Ask anyone who ate there at DBRxi and they'll tell you dinner is worth every penny. It seems those four courses usually are more like 6 or 8. After dinner, we'll head back to Fontana and drive Rt 28 from Robbinsville. If you've never driven Rt 28 at night, you're in for a treat (unless you happen to be the opossum who was sitting in the middle of the road). We should be back at Fontana around 9:30pm.

here are some vids of rt 80 and 226a to see what y'all are in for (driver = bama dave)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=0uWuNUiATAU

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ksyi_GB8bmo
Patrick when did you get that new hardtop for the S. One thing I believe that you have a Berlina Black S not a New Formula Red or Grand Prix White S. I guess your car isn't as fast now bro!!!! and yes I am Bama Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-01-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Going Mobile_s2k
Originally Posted by s2kmiami69' timestamp='1322738566' post='21200701
[quote name='kgf3076' timestamp='1322734579' post='21200633']

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=0uWuNUiATAU

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ksyi_GB8bmo
Patrick when did you get that new hardtop for the S. One thing I believe that you have a Berlina Black S not a New Formula Red or Grand Prix White S. I guess your car isn't as fast now bro!!!! and yes I am Bama Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote]
So you signing up or what?
Old 12-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Community Organizer

Good question Ken I will let you something next week. Thinking about when I am going to get up there. Anyone who has not done this route you would be in for a great treat. Later David
Old 12-02-2011, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave is right! Anyone who is doing this for the first time will be in for a real treat. I havent decided if I'll be at WTD but if I am...I'm in for this again.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im in
Old 12-02-2011, 05:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm tentative. I'd like to ride if my cards deal out right.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by FluKy15
Im in
We are going to let you get right behind Ken for this road trip and watch you go with him. You are going to really enjoy this one.

Quick Reply: Little Switzerland/Mt Mitchell/Rt 226 Drive on Wednesday