Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Lodge or Cabin?

Old 02-22-2014, 05:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look at the Fontana Village site under Accommodations. Cabin furnishings, etc are all described in detail
Old 02-22-2014, 05:46 AM

Received 973 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by pwrinxs
Thanks for the helpful insight! Do the cabins have chairs on the porch to sit on and relax? What about cookware and silverware? Microwave and fridge?
The short answer is...yep.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on what you and the wife are looking for, there are upsides and downsides to each. For me, I've always preferred the cabins. There's just something about waking up, sitting on the front porch in a rocking chair and watching the world go by for a few minutes in the morning that puts me in that "vacation" zone. Also the seclusion & space are much appreciated. I don't do much cooking, but having the fridge, stove, and microwave readily available can sure come in handy (especially for those Caffe Rel leftovers, and beer!). Noisy neighbors above/below/beside you are almost never a problem, and parking is generally much easier. Also most all of the cabins have their own fire pit, if you are so inclined.

That said, you are more likely to have bug issues in a cabin than in the lodge (though I've seen them in both), and you are farther from dining options, the event board, and any of the local events such as dinners, beer swap, bourbon swap. Depending on what cabin you're in you probably will want to drive back to the lodge for those things. Also, if you don't have friends to split the cabin with, it will be more expensive. Finally, unless you're in one of the nearby cabins, you will most likely not have any internet service, which is good or bad depending on your perspective. I *think* all the lodge rooms are in reach of the lodge wifi.

Hopefully that helps offer some perspective. Let us know if you have any questions.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the helpful insight! Do the cabins have chairs on the porch to sit on and relax? What about cookware and silverware? Microwave and fridge?
Not merely chairs... ROCKING chairs!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 04:05 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for all the helpful info. Looking forward to the rocking chairs but hoping bugs aren't an issue. Btw I think the one bedroom cabins and the lodge rooms are the same rate. Atleast thats what I was told when I booked. Sounded like they are running out of cabins when I talked to them so get yours before they are all gone.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:15 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by kgf3076
Originally Posted by RedCelica' timestamp='1393016667' post='23027487
I like the lodge better. Closer to the action. The one time I stayed in a cabin I felt very "secluded"
That's because people were trying to ignore you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGrLb6W5YOM
Old 02-25-2014, 07:54 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Thanks for all the helpful info. Looking forward to the rocking chairs but hoping bugs aren't an issue. Btw I think the one bedroom cabins and the lodge rooms are the same rate. Atleast thats what I was told when I booked. Sounded like they are running out of cabins when I talked to them so get yours before they are all gone.
It's usually just sugar ants, they squish easily

Bring an FRS radio, we use them to communicate through the village as cell phones really don't work at all. With the FRS you can hear what's going on, usually announcements are made over them for drives as well, at least they used to be.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:09 PM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

I've ssen couches on the front porch as well...

....just sayin...

or a portable dj setup....
Old 02-26-2014, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Habitforming
I *think* all the lodge rooms are in reach of the lodge wifi.
They aren't. We were 1 or 2 doors from the end of the hall that's to the right past the front desk and the wifi connection was too weak to do anything with.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:46 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Actually wifi all over the place is spotty even if you can pick up a signal. The only place with a good connection was the lobby in my experience. I would imagine the cabins would have little to no reception.

Quick Reply: Lodge or Cabin?