Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

MyBad's Adventures

Old 04-15-2003, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MyBad's Adventures

It started out to be a GREAT day, tearing up the Dragon with the "White Stallion." JAGlady and I found a spot to get some close-in action video (yes, of the cars). We stayed at this spot for over an hour while handfuls of our gang came tearing through the turns.

Lunch time came so we trucked to Fontana Dam to russle up some vittles. After partaking, LOVETODRIVES2000 asked us if we wanted to join him and Klassyblue on a run along the Cherryhola. We said YES! BlueStreak also joined us.

We decided to go all the way to the end of the Cherryhola and take 411 back to Alcoa. We stopped for fuel and it gave Bluestreak time to look at his trusty map. The map showed a twisty road that went to Alcoa and looked much more "interesting." So, being adventurous sports, we decided to take it.

This twisty took us through beautiful "agricultural" country side and eventually a stream that HAD to have trout in it followed alongside. After traveling approximately 15 miles the road crossed a large lake and came to a T intersection. A "T" INTERSECTION?!!! That intersection was NOT on the map! After much debate it was decided to turn right. I hasten to say, my choice was to turn LEFT, but those smarter than I were leading.

About a mile down the road we saw a "Road Narrows" sign and, sure enough, it did. About two miles farther the road was so narrow that we lost the center striping. I commented to JAGlady "This looks like someone's driveway!" Then, about a thousand yards later, we were left with only a dirt road and found ourselves staring at a bridge that, as LOVETODRIVES2000 announced on the radio, was straight out of the movie DELIVERANCE.

As we were stopped, pondering what to do, I heard voices from above. "The PRIEST has sent Archangels" I thought. I looked up only to see three.....uh....."locals" complete with beer cans in hand, standing beside an outdoor lounge chair and umbrella. They were saying "You boys lost?"

Suddenly my head was filled with music. You know, the Dueling Banjos. I could also hear these hillbillys' thoughts, "Fresh meet tonight, Darryl!"

Fortunately for us, they were too drunk to get down the hill. When we explained that we were trying to get back to Alcoa, they laughed and said "You boys took a wrong turn."

DUH!

Trying to get on their "friendly" side, Bluestreak said "You boys have a little piece of heaven here."

"That's my Mama's house" one said pointing to a rather large house by the stream.

They told us where we had gone wrong (I knew THAT already) and JAGlady made the comment that hopefully we'd get back in time for dinner. "We're having fresh trout, just caught from the stream" one of our deliverers said.

"FRESH TROUT?" said JAGlady. "That sure sounds good. You think we could have some?"

I just about SMACKED her! "Don't encourage them" I said!

"Mama ain't never turned nobody away hungry" was the reply. I wondered if he meant Mama turned them away only after she was satisfied!

A smile and a wave and we were on our way like bats outa Hell!

:Epilogue:

We saw things that day that I had never imagined before. There was a creature on the side of the road that we guessed was a dog. A product of generations of inbreeding, it was three feet tall with ears that dragged the ground. It proudly displayed every color in the rainbow. Judging by it's love of dashing in front of panicked S2000 drivers, it was dumber than dirt.

Although our deliverers were congenial socialites with a "generous" Mama, I'm glad we didn't have the opportunity to meet them up close and "personal".

Lessons learned: Never look a gifted trout in the mouth and never let Bluestreak read the map!

Old 04-15-2003, 02:49 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was hilarious on Sunday morning and now, reading it here, I found myself laughing hard. Very easy to visualize and the pics are simply classic. Nice job!
Old 04-15-2003, 03:16 PM

That was too good. But true! No I will not be using the map anymore! Just take a vote. Great shots ByBad.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Great laugh! Now click here for a lil trip down memory lane

- Dave
Old 04-15-2003, 06:47 PM

Who but w1ngman would have this "classic" at his fingertips?

It really sets the mood Dave. Thanks!

Old 04-16-2003, 02:38 PM

Great pics Phil......... yes we did have quite an adventure.
I can still hear those guys talking about that 'trout' and 'mama'!!!
Thanks for the laughs and the fantastic drive with a great group.
I noticed Blue Streak still had that map the next morning - we're all
glad he made it home since we have observed his map reading abilities.

The trip wouldn't have been the same without you Steve
Old 04-17-2003, 07:07 AM

Received 158 Likes on 143 Posts

I will admit, I was leading this little expedition!

But.... I did find out the following....

1. Follow your first instinct... I was in favor of turning left...
2. Don't follow Blue Streaks (Steve's) directions!
3. Don't follow Steve's map in the future, it is probably wrong!
4. Don't talk to strangers if they are found back in no mans land...
5. "The PRIEST has sent Archangels" <== Guess I should have been wearing my "Got Jesus" T-Shirt, he would of kept us from getting lost!
6. When the yellow lines disappear, you are on the wrong road!

Heck, I'm game for finding some more new roads come September..... Is it time for the next run yet?
Old 04-17-2003, 08:55 AM

Received 800 Likes on 711 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lovetodrive2000
[B]Heck, I'm game for finding some more new roads come September.....
Old 04-19-2003, 06:23 PM

Come on September!!!!!!!!!!! Finished off my vacation by heading to the Beach (Wilmington - missed Mybad and JAGlady), then inland to see KlassyBlue, then to Shenandoah National Forest.... Rt 250 (great road, lots of twists and curves.. thanks Beth).. then to Athens, OH (to see my son and have a beer), then home...... what a vacation.trip........

I'm ready to do it all again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2005, 02:55 AM

Just spent an hour trying to find this post of Mybad's.....

For all you newbies.... watch which way you turn if you take some side roads!!

Quick Reply: MyBad's Adventures