Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Road to Nowhere

Old 08-27-2013, 06:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Road to Nowhere

I saw this in Darcy's write up and never knew about it before. I don't think it warrants its own seperate drive, but can we tack this on to one of the other drives of the event?

It was to be a highway on the northern side of Fontana, but after building the first tunnel funding dried up and that's all the farther it went. I don't think we can drive through the tunnel, but it looks like a good drive back to it, and a good photo op.

It is 41 miles / 1 hr 15min from Fontana according to the Google machine. The last 6 miles of that are all secluded dead end mountain road (though I have no idea of the condition of it)

info: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/6268

map: http://goo.gl/maps/VKkzr
Old 08-27-2013, 06:05 PM

Received 151 Likes on 136 Posts

All in favor of Andy leading this drive...... say.. "aye"!

Aye!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:09 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

In.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000

Aye!
I'm happy to lead this portion, but a larger question looms - what ride to include it with? Who gets closes to Bryson City?

Maybe a second Franklin drive, without the shopping for those of us that have more rubber to burn?
Old 08-27-2013, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000

Aye!
Aye
Old 08-28-2013, 03:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be up for this, though if it's gonna be at Andy/Florian/John pace, I'll go ahead and reserve the tailgunner spot.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just drove to the "Road to Nowhere" on the way back from Gettysburg trip. It's been on my list! Bryson City is an interesting little town (very touristy with a lot of folks walking about). The road is very good. You cannot drive through the tunnel. There are steel posts imbedded in the road with locks. My guess enterprisig folks tried to pull them out. Parking lot is about an 1/8 mile from tunnel. You can walk through the tunnel another 1/8 mile (bring a flashlight). The road ends at a trailhead about 100 yard beyond the tunnel.
I would suggest tacking on this event to Highlands drive. Hwy 441 out of Franklin and merge with Hwy 74 to Bryson City.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by onu2002
I'd be up for this, though if it's gonna be at Andy/Florian/John pace, I'll go ahead and reserve the tailgunner spot.
I'm sure the front half will be a bit brisk, but we'll likely end up with a variety of paces in our group, and just let the train catch back up at major intersections

Originally Posted by DragonDidg
Just drove to the "Road to Nowhere" on the way back from Gettysburg trip. It's been on my list! Bryson City is an interesting little town (very touristy with a lot of folks walking about). The road is very good. You cannot drive through the tunnel. There are steel posts imbedded in the road with locks. My guess enterprisig folks tried to pull them out. Parking lot is about an 1/8 mile from tunnel. You can walk through the tunnel another 1/8 mile (bring a flashlight). The road ends at a trailhead about 100 yard beyond the tunnel.
I would suggest tacking on this event to Highlands drive. Hwy 441 out of Franklin and merge with Hwy 74 to Bryson City.

Thanks for the info! What condition is the road in that leads up to the tunnel?

Everyone mind the man, and bring a flashlight. I'm walking through it
Old 08-28-2013, 06:05 AM

Here's what I'm thinking. On Friday, after the Newbie drive, there isn't much on the itinerary unless you want to go shopping with all the folk. We can't do that when there's so much driving to be done. Also, it would be sacrelidge to miss out on a meal at Caff'e Rel, which is the best restaurant of the entire weekend, bar none. So...

How about a brisk drive to the Road to Nowhere, and then off to Caff'e Rel in Franklin for a late lunch (hopefully avoid the rush, and that OTHER group drive ), then possibly Bridal Veil falls depending on mood & weather, then take Wayah Rd on the way home. The total route is 177 miles, but we can cut 20 miles off of that if we bypass Bridal Veil.

hopefully this map works for you all, I wrestled with Google for a while and I still don't think it's quite right. I swear this used to be easier to do...

http://goo.gl/maps/RgocI
Old 08-28-2013, 06:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"Thanks for the info! What condition is the road in that leads up to the tunnel?"

The road from Bryson City to tunnel is very good and is about 9 miles.

Quick Reply: Road to Nowhere