Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.
View Poll Results: Do you want to stop at Bald River Falls during this excursion?
Yes - sounds neat!
0%
No - been there, done that
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Rtd2014 Drive - Saturday, Tellico Grains & Cherohala

Old 03-29-2014, 04:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rtd2014 Drive - Saturday, Tellico Grains & Cherohala

Join us for a brisk drive along some lesser traveled back roads as we depart the end of the Monster Rollout and head for Tellico Grains bakery in Tellico Plains, TN. This will be a spirited drive, so please take care to ensure you and your car are adequately prepared.

Following the group photo, we will regroup in the parking lot across from Smokey Mountain Harley Davidson, which is just a bit farther up US-129 from the "gravel" lot. From there we will head out to US-411 where we will all gas up, and then onward to lunch at Tellico Grains Bakery. Following our delicious meal, we then proceed to the fantastic Cherohala Skyway for a spirited jaunt across the top of a mountain range - reaching a peak elevation of a mile above sea level. Feel your car lose power with the decreasing oxygen in the air as we climb, and then gather it all back up on the way down the back side. After a break at one of the scenic views along the way, we'll then head back toward Fontana, with an optional stop in Robbinsville for gas & supplies.

We will be a short side road away from Bald River Falls, which is a beautiful and powerful waterfall at the beginning of the Cherohala Skyway. While you are posting up to join this drive, also give me your preference to stop at the falls or not. Doing so will add ~30-45 minutes to the drive, depending on how long we linger.

Depart: 11:00am, across from Smokey Mountain Harley Davidson
Arrive: 4:00pm, Fontana Village
Drive Time: 3 hours
Distance: 122 miles

Our route: https://goo.gl/maps/0M94R
Optional Bald River Falls route: https://goo.gl/maps/K9Y9u

I need a tail gunner for this drive

Attendees:
Habitforming (Andy) - Leader
TW00Si - Honorary tail-gunner
Old 04-04-2014, 10:21 AM

anyone? Buehler?

I'm happy to tone down the pace if that's what is keeping anyone away
Old 04-04-2014, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta be patient Andy. My drive thread has been up for 5 weeks, and no takers yet.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by onu2002
Gotta be patient Andy. My drive thread has been up for 5 weeks, and no takers yet.
I'm not known for my patience...

It seems a lot of people that come here & sign up never visit again. I guess we'll see who's coming when the moment arrives
Old 04-04-2014, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I'm gonna be at my departure spot at my departure time, and if no one shows up I'll just jump in with one of the other drives.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by onu2002
Yeah, I'm gonna be at my departure spot at my departure time, and if no one shows up I'll just jump in with one of the other drives.
I'm thinking the same. Though it will be quite a long chase to catch the Blood Mtn drive
Old 04-04-2014, 11:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Andy, I'm interested but when you say it's spirited drive, I'm afraid that I'll be lagging behind. So if it's okay for slowpokes like me to join, then I'd be signing up.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:00 PM
Community Organizer

Received 208 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Habitforming
Originally Posted by onu2002' timestamp='1396637584' post='23097599
I'm thinking the same. Though it will be quite a long chase to catch the Blood Mtn drive

Bring it Andy you will love that drive man.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by TW00Si
Andy, I'm interested but when you say it's spirited drive, I'm afraid that I'll be lagging behind. So if it's okay for slowpokes like me to join, then I'd be signing up.
I'll be happy to adjust the pace to what is comfortable for everyone. Regardless, it won't be a full tilt blast across the countryside, especially the first portion through backroads, as they are mostly farm & residential areas where we will see traffic. There will be some short bursts but I always get everyone joined back up before long, and always before we make any turns. You won't have to worry about being left behind.

Once we get to the Cherohala we'll probably turn it up a notch, but again every few miles I'll slow up and get everyone joined back together.

Originally Posted by Bama Dave
Originally Posted by Habitforming' timestamp='1396639434' post='23097658
[quote name='onu2002' timestamp='1396637584' post='23097599']

Bring it Andy you will love that drive man.
[/quote]

I'm sure I would... Perhaps in the fall
Old 04-05-2014, 07:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a heads-up: One of my group members was ticketed for speed a few years ago on that narrow gravel road running to the falls. Be careful.

Quick Reply: Rtd2014 Drive - Saturday, Tellico Grains & Cherohala