Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Some Newbie Info Needed

Old 03-03-2014, 10:05 AM

Received 1,413 Likes on 767 Posts
Default Some Newbie Info Needed

Since I have never attended one of these events (though I have driven the Dragon in my S and in my SE MR-2), I am kind of confused as to the sequence of events. Hope Ken (or someone else) can help me out. Here is where I am so far:

1) The Reptile Run, which includes the Back of the Dragon is from Saturday, April 5 through Monday, April 7. I have made reservations in Marion for these 3 nights.
2) On Tuesday, the real Reptile Run goes from Marion to Fontana, all in one day. Correct? I have not made room reservations yet until I am sure of the correct arrival dates.
3) If the above is true, then what is going on on Wednesday and Thursday? I signed up for the Thursday night dinner because I was not aware that there was a drive from Fontana to the Park Grille, wherever that is. Is this correct, and if so, who leads and what time do we go and return to Fontana?

4) The rest of the event from Friday on I understand.

(I numbered these in case Gary is reading this. )

Can someone pleeeeeze give me some answers?

Merci!
Old 03-03-2014, 10:38 AM

Received 974 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
Since I have never attended one of these events (though I have driven the Dragon in my S and in my SE MR-2), I am kind of confused as to the sequence of events. Hope Ken (or someone else) can help me out. Here is where I am so far:

1) The Reptile Run, which includes the Back of the Dragon is from Saturday, April 5 through Monday, April 7. I have made reservations in Marion for these 3 nights.
2) On Tuesday, the real Reptile Run goes from Marion to Fontana, all in one day. Correct? I have not made room reservations yet until I am sure of the correct arrival dates.
3) If the above is true, then what is going on on Wednesday and Thursday? I signed up for the Thursday night dinner because I was not aware that there was a drive from Fontana to the Park Grille, wherever that is. Is this correct, and if so, who leads and what time do we go and return to Fontana?

4) The rest of the event from Friday on I understand.

(I numbered these in case Gary is reading this. )

Can someone pleeeeeze give me some answers?

Merci!
Just for you, Gene.

1. We're in Marion from Saturday afternoon until Wednesday. (that's the 8th).
2. On Wednesday, the Reptile Run leaves Marion and does the Snake. Brian (scammedon) and some others are going to drive to Little Switzerland and drive 221 (and if you've never driven that road, it's a major pucker producer). Wednesday afternoon, evening a bunch of us are going to put the meet packets together.
3. Thursday morning, you can drive the dragon without the traffic that sometimes inflicts the area. Around 1:00, I'll lead a drive across the dragon to Maryville, TN to meet the group coming down from OKI. We'll meet and then head to Gatlinburg for dinner at the Park Grill (we should arrive there around 5:00 pm roughly). After dinner, we'll drive in a group across the Foothills Parkway to the parking lot on 129 before the dragon. At that lot, we split into two groups. One group is for veterans and the other is the newbie group. I lead the newbiies back across the dragon with a stop in Deal's Gap so people can clean the interior of their cars and then down Hellbender to Fontana. Neither the drive to Maryville or the night drive across the Dragon are overly spirited but they are "interestingly" paced.

That help?
Old 03-03-2014, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by kgf3076
Just for you, Gene.

2. On Wednesday, the Reptile Run leaves Marion and does the Snake. Brian (scammedon) and some others are going to drive to Little Switzerland and drive 221 (and if you've never driven that road, it's a major pucker producer). Wednesday afternoon, evening a bunch of us are going to put the meet packets together.
3. Thursday morning, you can drive the dragon without the traffic that sometimes inflicts the area. Around 1:00, I'll lead a drive across the dragon to Maryville, TN to meet the group coming down from OKI. We'll meet and then head to Gatlinburg for dinner at the Park Grill (we should arrive there around 5:00 pm roughly). After dinner, we'll drive in a group across the Foothills Parkway to the parking lot on 129 before the dragon. At that lot, we split into two groups. One group is for veterans and the other is the newbie group. I lead the newbiies back across the dragon with a stop in Deal's Gap so people can clean the interior of their cars and then down Hellbender to Fontana. Neither the drive to Maryville or the night drive across the Dragon are overly spirited but they are "interestingly" paced.

That help?
1) According to my calendar, the 8th is Tuesday, hence my confusion. And Bama Dave's original post said leaving Marion on Tuesday, further confusing me..
2) So it's Wednesday, the 9th, correct? If so, I need to reserve another night in Marion.
3) Denny already PM'd me about that, but thanks, anyway.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by jukngene
Originally Posted by kgf3076' timestamp='1393875504' post='23043914
Just for you, Gene.

That help?
1) According to my calendar, the 8th is Tuesday, hence my confusion. And Bama Dave's original post said leaving Marion on Tuesday, further confusing me..
2) So it's Wednesday, the 9th, correct? If so, I need to reserve another night in Marion.
3) Denny already PM's me about that, but thanks, anyway.
Okay, we DO leave Marion on Tuesday and go to Fontana via various routes. I'm going directly, Brian is leading the Reptile Run. That part's correct. On Wednesday, Brett is leading the Blood Mountain drive. You really want to do that drive. I'm doing that drive as welll (not leading, just hanging out, I think. I don't think I'm tailgunning for Brett, but who knows). I'm going directly to Fontana from Marion which is boring but I have things to do at Fontana and Tuesday is a good day for that.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wait, I thought Blood Mtn was on Friday or Saturday??
Old 03-03-2014, 11:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Habitforming
Blood Mtn drive is on Saturday after the Monster Roll Out and led by Brett. There is a thread with the details.
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/107...tain-2014-v20/
FYI: BamaDave was going to do the Blood Mtn drive earlier in the week but he cancelled!
Old 03-03-2014, 11:41 AM

Glad I started this thread! Now, everyone's confused!
Old 03-03-2014, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by DragonDidg
Originally Posted by Habitforming' timestamp='1393877864' post='23043990
Blood Mtn drive is on Saturday after the Monster Roll Out and led by Brett. There is a thread with the details.
https://www.s2ki.com/...ntain-2014-v20/
FYI: BamaDave was going to do the Blood Mtn drive earlier in the week but he cancelled!
And Ken is already signed up as tail-gunner for Brett's Blood Mountain drive!

Old 03-03-2014, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Habitforming
Damn! Brett was going to do this on Thursday. Now I'm confused.Nice job, Gene. We're all confused.

Thanks Mike, It was Bama who was going to lead this drive on Thursday. Brett won't be able to get there that early.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by DragonDidg
Originally Posted by Habitforming' timestamp='1393877864' post='23043990
https://www.s2ki.com/...ntain-2014-v20/
It was going to be on Thursday. Crap! Now I have to figure out exactly what I'll be doing on Saturday. I'm now leaning to huddling in bed with the covers over my head.

Quick Reply: Some Newbie Info Needed