Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

WTD 2016 Feedback

Old 05-02-2016, 11:45 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Start earlier, end on Sunday gets my vote too.

I mentioned it in the other thread. Topoco is GREAT, but if we can't all get in there, it's a drag. We need someplace that can accommodate the whole group of participants.

More options for group drives is a plus. While I've lead group drives many, many times, doing it with people I don't know makes me nervous. So I understand it being hard to find leaders for group drives. Driving around solo in the area is a BAD idea. Stick together!

The "welcome" dinner on the first night is a great way to get people talking. It is a way to setup plans for the remainder of the weekend. So please bring that back.

I'll be glad to help with registration. Sure it's my vacation too, but I don't mind taking an hour out to help make the event run smoothly. I'm also more than happy to help with any kind of setup or delivery of things to the area. Anything that can be done (or mostly done) before I arrive and am on "vacation time" is cool with me.

I liked the hometown added to the name tags. It did help personalize things. And I did notice it on other's badges.

I know cost is ALWAYS an issue, but I think I prefer lanyards to stickers for nametags. There are pros and cons to both, but I prefer the lanyard.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:28 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I like the message board idea, may not make communication all that much easier but it definitely wouldn't be worse.
Asked the front desk lady at Tapoco about the possibility of an October event and each weekend was already booked since Dec/Jan depending on the group.

Left Sunday around 11, drove up one last time and went to Gatlinburg for lunch then back to Miami in a straight shot. Traffic through there wasn't too bad but I see some of you are saying after noon is when it picks up.

I'd be up for either end of the weekend to have more activity.
I just spent the way back bitching to myself about why in the hell I've had this car for nearly 11 years and only now bothered to make it up there for this, wish I would have done it so much sooner, had a blast

For future raffles...maybe gauging how many miles that owner has put on themself vs how many miles their car has, totally would have nailed that Amsoil box otherwise
Old 05-02-2016, 03:37 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I think it was WTD or DBR 2012 when a group of us went for the whole week. Monday - Wednesdays were the best days and we did a lot of exploring and dragon runs nearly free from harleys. Thursday hit and you'd think it was bike week at Daytona. Definitely have things start sooner. That said, I don't think we have to "officially" change anything, just get there before the event!
Old 05-02-2016, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedCelica
I think it was WTD or DBR 2012 when a group of us went for the whole week. Monday - Wednesdays were the best days and we did a lot of exploring and dragon runs nearly free from harleys. Thursday hit and you'd think it was bike week at Daytona. Definitely have things start sooner. That said, I don't think we have to "officially" change anything, just get there before the event!
That was WTD2012 and I was there for that year! Going for that full week was most definitely worth it, I'd recommend everyone do that atleast once in their lifetime. I can't imagine it being feasible for the actual event to be extended like that though.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bama Dave
The unplanned or small drives work best. The logistics of a bigger drive group is a pain. It would be nice to have a bunch of 5-9 cars drive groups leaving 20 minutes apart. But haven't had much luck doing that in the past. Of course having a lot of S2000 in one place is always cool. Later BD
Agreed.

Lots of S2k's in one place? Make the converge at the beginning or at the end of the drives.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:23 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FluKy15
Originally Posted by RedCelica' timestamp='1462232271' post='23955162
That was WTD2012 and I was there for that year! Going for that full week was most definitely worth it, I'd recommend everyone do that atleast once in their lifetime. I can't imagine it being feasible for the actual event to be extended like that though.
I remember that, still one of my favorite Dragon events Remeber when we went to Robbinsville Monday night for Mexican and came back through 28? The "cop incident"? Great times!

Not so much of a great time- Little Switzerland drive. Never. Again.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be neat to have your car color striped next to name on tags. ( kind of like F1 does team colors next to drivers name on the telemetry) Or two stripes for two tone fellers. Example silver car, black wheels.

I also agree with leaving Sunday for going home. All the traffic at noon would be a disaster.

I DID go home on cheroholla skyway going west, at about 10 and I didn't see but 3 cars, 1 motorcycle and 1 pair of skid marks into guardrail.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:20 AM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by vanDiemen
It would be neat to have your car color striped next to name on tags. ( kind of like F1 does team colors next to drivers name on the telemetry) Or two stripes for two tone fellers. Example silver car, black wheels.

I also agree with leaving Sunday for going home. All the traffic at noon would be a disaster.

I DID go home on cheroholla skyway going west, at about 10 and I didn't see but 3 cars, 1 motorcycle and 1 pair of skid marks into guardrail.
Actually, I think that would be a great idea, much like name tags for your username, have name tags for your car. While I was walking by all the s2k's' on the lot, I wondered to myself which car belonged to who. Would be nice to match username to a face to a car.

+1 on making the event earlier so that Sunday remains as the commuter day. Also, I would recommend a welcome dinner on the first day (or breakfast the next day) so everyone gets a chance to introduce themselves prior to the week activities, culminating in the official banquet dinner.

As someone who just attended their first dragon run, I found it easier to take people's suggestions of "roads" to try and then just play it be ear from there. I'm glad someone had suggested to check out Clingmans Dome and the Fontana Dam. Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to check out Bridal Veil Falls, next year tho!

If there were preset itineraries posted up on a board for drives to make, that would make it better for people to coordinate and participate (or explore on your own) instead of people doing solo runs. For example:
Drive 1:
Three roads: (road A, B, C)
Approx Time: All-day event
Highlight: Check out Bridal Veil Falls

Drive 2:
Two Roads: (road A, B)
Approx Time: 1/2 day event
Highlight: Check out Fontana Dam

Drive 3:
Two Roads: (road B, C)
Highlight: Check out Clingmans Dome

Drive 4:
Two Roads (road D, E)
Highlight: Check out this great restaurant/historic site, etc

That way, during the days prior to the official event, people could sync up to do Drives 1-4. Of course on the official "Dragon Day Run", there would be a different combo of roads.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:45 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to make my own name tag for my S2000 and stick it in the front drivers side of the windshield.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by CitadelBlue
I used to make my own name tag for my S2000 and stick it in the front drivers side of the windshield.
THIS.

Quick Reply: WTD 2016 Feedback