Engine Swaps Discussion of alternate engine swaps into the S2000 other than F20/22. K24, 2JZ, V6, V8 etc...

Dakota Digiital SGI-5 Settings

Old 01-30-2017, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
From what I understand, the VSS signal comes out of the VSS sensor, goes to the Dakota SGI-5 module, gets converted, then goes out to the OEM cluster. From there, it gets converted by the OEM cluster and goes out to the OEM ECU, the CC module, and the EPS module.
Not that it makes much difference to the point you were making, but for the sake of correct information, the signal actually goes from the sensor to the SGI-5, then from the SGI-5 to both the cluster and the ECU, then the converted signal goes from the cluster to the EPS control unit, the cruise control unit, and the convertible top control unit.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:29 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by absolootbs
Not that it makes much difference to the point you were making, but for the sake of correct information, the signal actually goes from the sensor to the SGI-5, then from the SGI-5 to both the cluster and the ECU, then the converted signal goes from the cluster to the EPS control unit, the cruise control unit, and the convertible top control unit.

Yeah! There you go. Thanks for the info!
Old 02-01-2017, 02:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Which is why you don't really need the OEM ecu except for the temp signal and even that can be worked around with a modrify unit or a standalone like a Holley Dominator
Old 02-25-2017, 10:55 AM

CoolGuy94, hoping you can help me out.

I've got my cruise control back in, and it definitely doesn't work.

I'm using a Tweak'd Performance Harness - huge huge mistake. I've had it torn apart so many times fixing sh*t they messed up. They didn't even have fan functions pinned at the LS1 ecu! Ridiculous.

Should have made it myself like I've always done for my LS swaps, but with this build my time was more valuable than the money. But here I am wasting my time anyway. Go figure!

Never again will I outsource anything! and I mean anything!

The "instructions" they provided with the harness contradicted Import Muscles and I can't remember which direction set I followed. I think they were recommending to use different set of outputs from the SGI-5 than Import Muscle was saying.

Anyway, my speedo reads correctly, car runs etc but I want cruise to work. I'll pin and test out the VSS and SGI-5 wiring in the next few days but I want to make sure when I re-do it, I do it like yours.

So to confirm your SGI-5 settings:
  • Power/Ground - no need to discuss.
  • INPUT from SGI-5 goes directly to Honda VSS connector pin 2 (blue/white) - not branching out to anything whatsoever between the VSS and the SGI-5?
  • OUT 2 from SGI-5 goes directly to Honda ECU A9 AND Gauge Cluster C3
  • OUT 3 from SGI-5 goes to LS1 PCM. Where exactly are you sending this signal to on the LS1? Red Connector pin 21?
  • Are you using LS1 Red Connecter Pins #49 and 50 for anything? (Primary and Secondary VSS Output is what GM calls it)
  • Are you still sending Honda VSS connector pin 1 (yellow/blue) to Honda ECU C28,TPS,air pump and fuel tank pressure? This is how Honda has it wired originally
Thanks for the help.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jonathan_ed3
CoolGuy94, hoping you can help me out.

I've got my cruise control back in, and it definitely doesn't work.

I'm using a Tweak'd Performance Harness - huge huge mistake. I've had it torn apart so many times fixing sh*t they messed up. They didn't even have fan functions pinned at the LS1 ecu! Ridiculous.

Should have made it myself like I've always done for my LS swaps, but with this build my time was more valuable than the money. But here I am wasting my time anyway. Go figure!

Never again will I outsource anything! and I mean anything!

The "instructions" they provided with the harness contradicted Import Muscles and I can't remember which direction set I followed. I think they were recommending to use different set of outputs from the SGI-5 than Import Muscle was saying.

Anyway, my speedo reads correctly, car runs etc but I want cruise to work. I'll pin and test out the VSS and SGI-5 wiring in the next few days but I want to make sure when I re-do it, I do it like yours.

So to confirm your SGI-5 settings:
  • Power/Ground - no need to discuss.
  • INPUT from SGI-5 goes directly to Honda VSS connector pin 2 (blue/white) - not branching out to anything whatsoever between the VSS and the SGI-5?
  • OUT 2 from SGI-5 goes directly to Honda ECU A9 AND Gauge Cluster C3
  • OUT 3 from SGI-5 goes to LS1 PCM. Where exactly are you sending this signal to on the LS1? Red Connector pin 21?
  • Are you using LS1 Red Connecter Pins #49 and 50 for anything? (Primary and Secondary VSS Output is what GM calls it)
  • Are you still sending Honda VSS connector pin 1 (yellow/blue) to Honda ECU C28,TPS,air pump and fuel tank pressure? This is how Honda has it wired originally
Thanks for the help.
Well, I guess I'm glad I didn't go with a Tweak'd harness after all. Hopefully I can answer your questions...

INPUT from SGI-5 goes directly to Honda VSS connector pin 2 (blue/white) - not branching out to anything whatsoever between the VSS and the SGI-5?
That's right, but I don't intercept that blue/white wire until it comes through the firewall, goes into the C101 connector, comes out of the other side of the C101 connector, and that's where I snipped it. So from the cabin-side of the C101 connector I take the blue/white wire (which is pin 8) and send it to the SGI-5 INPUT connection.

OUT 2 from SGI-5 goes directly to Honda ECU A9 AND Gauge Cluster C3
Uhhh, yes I think. Remember the blue/white wire that I just snipped and sent one end to the SGI-5 INPUT connector? The other end of that wire that's hanging free now... that's what I plugged into the OUT 2 port on the SGI-5. So yeah, technically according to the wiring diagram posted by absolootbs, that blue/white wire gets split and goes to both the ECU and the cluster.

OUT 3 from SGI-5 goes to LS1 PCM. Where exactly are you sending this signal to on the LS1? Red Connector pin 21?
That sounds correct. I don't have my GM wiring manual on me anymore (gave it to a friend for use on his swap) and of course all my notes are in it. Look for a VSS SIGNAL IN pin.

Are you using LS1 Red Connecter Pins #49 and 50 for anything? (Primary and Secondary VSS Output is what GM calls it)
Most likely not. That VSS output probably goes to the GM cluster in a Camaro, etc. I don't give a crap about the VSS signal once its made it to the GM ECU. VSS output from the GM ECU is useless to us.

Are you still sending Honda VSS connector pin 1 (yellow/blue) to Honda ECU C28,TPS,air pump and fuel tank pressure? This is how Honda has it wired originally
Yes, I left that wire untouched. That's connector C pin 28, and connector C101 pin 6. I didn't screw with those.

I'd start troubleshooting by simply tracing back the wires on the connector to your CC module in the engine bay. And checking voltage on those wires as a start at the connector.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:52 AM

So I pinned every connector out both on the CC brain (under the dash) and the cruise actuator module under the hood. Checked for 12v power on the power wires with ignition on, checked grounds, checked continuity between the two at each connector for each wire.

Checked brake switch. Cruise cancel switch on clutch.

EVERYTHING checks out. Even powered up the actuator with 12v to see if it works. It does.

My horn works so I know there's no problem with my cable reel on the steering column being busted. I've seen some cars get an alignment and if they don't center the column in relation to the rack prior to making a bunch of adjustments it'll internally separate the cable reel making a full lock turn.

my speedometer works. And since the cruise control gets its signal AFTER this speedometer, doesn't this mean that my cruise should work?

i pinned out the tweaked harness

vss goes straight to input on sgi-5

out 2 from the SGI-5 goes to c101 and connects to the blue/white wire VSS wire which continues and goes to A9 on the ECU. I noticed it connects on the side of the plug that faces the firewall (as oppposed to the side facing the driver like yours). I don't see how this could necessarily matter though?

It looks like Tweaked pulled all the unused pins out of the firewall side of the c101 connector.. but again, don't see that this could be significant to this issue.

out 3 from the sgi-5 goes directly to LS1 red connector pin 21 (which is correct for VSS in)

So it appears that it's wired correctly (like yours aside from opppsite side of the c101 connector) but it just doesn't work. Worked the day I pulled the f22 out. Doesn't work with tweaked harness. I know of 2 other guys for sure using tweaked harnesses and their CC doesn't work either.

Of possibly minor note, Tweaked's two sentence instructions sheet states to use Out 1 and Out 2 on the SGI-5.
I'll try messing with it again on my next day off. My ac compressor went bad so that's occupying my next day off. It's such a pain in the ass to get in and out with the v8 already in place.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:12 AM

Sorry man; I don't have much knowledgeable advice to offer. I hate wiring for this exact reason.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:51 PM

I'm assuming you guys are using the ap1 CC. I'm coming from an 06 and the cruise control module is connected to the drive by wire? Are they even different?
Old 03-06-2017, 05:08 AM

Yeah, they're definitely different. The whole swap wiring with an 06+ is pretty different as I understand it. I have a MY00.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:24 AM

Yeah mine is an 05. I've poured over the diagrams and tested everything via the FSM trouble flowchart. There's no reason it shouldn't work. Im stumped. I ordered a new control module (brain) just because they're cheap as hell so I figured why not.

and my ABS won't stop throwing code 54 fail safe relay. I've replaced the module already with same results.

Theres got to be something weird buried in the Tweak'd harness that's making all sorts of things haywire on my car

Last edited by Jonathan_ed3; 03-06-2017 at 08:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Dakota Digiital SGI-5 Settings