Engine Swaps Discussion of alternate engine swaps into the S2000 other than F20/22. K24, 2JZ, V6, V8 etc...

Import Muscle V8 conversion

Old 12-19-2015, 03:15 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Import Muscle V8 conversion

Recently viewed Import Muscle's web site featuring their S2000 V8 conversion: http://www.importmuscle.com/
Does anyone have experience or knowledge of converted S2K after long term use? The front cross member is cut out of the chassis and the motor is bolted directly to the chassis; no motor mounts. So, the engine block becomes a stressed member of the chassis. Most likely the mounts had to be scuttled to allow the LS1 to set below the hood. It's acknowledged that the conversion reduces the ground clearance by 1" and transmitted vibration is no more than stiff polyurethane bushings.
It seems that the engine torque would put excessive strain on the chassis since the chassis is weakened to make room for the V8. Are these conversions truly up to DD tasks over several years? Of course IM's FAQ section claims no problem. They even say that the stock differential can be used if one is careful. If I had V8 power, I would be on the loud pedal hard just to feel the acceleration. I am skeptical that an S2K converted with the IM kit would be easy to sell. IM's web site implies that all is good. Anyone have knowledge of S2Ks converted with IM's kit? Does it work as a DD?
Old 12-20-2015, 07:08 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

All is good? Yeah, and how many miles on the conversion?

It will be fine as a DD...until it breaks down. Then, who repairs it?
Old 12-20-2015, 03:17 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Option B, Cobra kit car. V8, lighter than S2000, can build options as you want. You aren't desecrating something special.

Some kits use irs, which I personally would prefer...

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Old 12-21-2015, 09:15 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

http://www.v8s2000.com/forums/

I'm hoping to have my swap done before spring. I did have an LS swapped FD and that was a hoot. I think my S will be much nicer to drive as it's much newer with less miles on the chassis.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:39 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can calm your nerves about removing the cross member by simply welding in a new on that works with the swap. Most guys that do this (turbo dudes usually) make them out of round bar and use flanges on the ends to make them removable in the case that you need to pull the motor again. If you look hard enough or if you're up for some fabrication, different style motor mounts can be had to give you poly mounts versus rigid mounting to the frame rails as well.

The car will last as long as your driving habits and maintenance schedule allows.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:14 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by theprophet36

I'm hoping to have my swap done before spring. I did have an LS swapped FD and that was a hoot. I think my S will be much nicer to drive as it's much newer with less miles on the chassis.
FD makes a better V8 conversion car IMO. The turbo Rotary is just too hit and miss for heavy track work. Yet the FD is an awesome chassis. Converting that car to an LS is basically correcting a factory wrong.

F20/22 is such a better motor all around, I don't feel like a S2k is begging for a V8 conversion like a FD. That said if I had an AP1/2 with a blown motor that was setup for track duty, I could see the appeal of a nice LS1/2/3 swap. Lots of fun...

As far as resale, like anything else you will loose some buyers but will gain some. There is an ass for every seat. Don't expect to clear a profit on the sale. But you should be able to get more than if it was just a stock S2k.

Good Luck!
Old 12-21-2015, 06:10 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

or the porsche 944 V8 conversion by renegade hybrids if you don't want to hack up a good s2000 chassis. I can't speak to how well the s2000 chassis handles the torque and power of a thumping v8.

good luck
darcy
Old 12-21-2015, 11:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why spend the time and money? Just buy a Monster Miata.

http://monstermiata.webs.com/classifieds.htm
Old 12-22-2015, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
Originally Posted by theprophet36' timestamp='1450721714' post='23833392

FD makes a better V8 conversion car IMO. The turbo Rotary is just too hit and miss for heavy track work. Yet the FD is an awesome chassis. Converting that car to an LS is basically correcting a factory wrong.

F20/22 is such a better motor all around, I don't feel like a S2k is begging for a V8 conversion like a FD. That said if I had an AP1/2 with a blown motor that was setup for track duty, I could see the appeal of a nice LS1/2/3 swap. Lots of fun...

Good Luck!
Thanks! I'll let ya know which one I think is better
Old 12-22-2015, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by PanteraKitty
Why spend the time and money? Just buy a Monster Miata.

http://monstermiata.webs.com/classifieds.htm

I was very fortunate to get a great deal on a low mileage MY04 with a Vortech kit installed. After selling the kit and the engine, trans, etc from the S2000 the swap hasn't costed me much at all

Quick Reply: Import Muscle V8 conversion