Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

sunday fun when you are bored

Old 12-30-2007, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sunday fun when you are bored

So as I have no plans on a sunday I figured I would go drive some new cars. Went up to my local honda dealer to drive the 08 S and the CR. I know it is bad of me to act like a regular customer when I am in the car business myself, but I wanted to see what kinda deal these guys were going to throw at me on the last weekend of the last month of the year (the best time to buy a new car).

So I pull up in my car with the top down freshly cleaned, and had salesmen like ants running all around me I tell them I want a black 08 but I am "not sure" whether I want a CR or a reg. They point me to the regular one saying I would like it better, so I bite and take it for a drive. I must say the 08 seats are very nice, soft and supportive. And the car is smooth like silk. I wasnt sure about the drive by wire but after putting a few miles on it I like it. I still couldnt live with the 8k redline but the lowend torque is nice to have. I personally think my car is stronger in vtec but the 08 is deff stronger out of vtec. It handles pretty nice too. I heel toed into a long swooping turn that has a speed limit of 35 at 55 and it did great, with a white knuckled 60+ salesman in the pass seat.

We came back to the dealership and I got into the CR. I like the alcantara on the seats, and the door panels. The middle of the seats has that yellow and black design in it and I think it looks stupid. The CR seats are not a comfy as the regular seats, they feel like my AP1. As we take off I notice the exhaust is slightly louder. Earler I saw that the only differance is that the CR doesnt have that extra loop that comes out the front of the muffler, there may be other mods to it but that is what I noticed. Soon as I left the dealership I noticed how loud the tires were. Alot louder than the 050's on the regular. I also noticed how bouncy the ride was, it felt like my ap1. I went around the same corner as I did before, this time at about 65 and the car felt very stable. The salesman was ever more pale this time.

I came back to the dealer and they tried to put the hard sale on me. I told them that I wanted a crazy amount for my trade and that if I didnt get it I would walk. Suprising thing is, they came really close to it, accually going to give me more for the car than what I payed for it. AND they said they would take off the $3995 extra premium they added to the CR and sell it to me for sticker, with 2.9% apr. I left before they could talk me into it. I was very close. I came there just messing around and had no clue they would offer me such a good deal.

BUT ALAS, I will stick with my AP1. In my opinion the CR is a 2008 AP1, with a hard top and a big wing. So I will save my money and buy more stuff for my car.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow ... great story!

You gotta be careful with those car salemen (especially the sales manager) This is a great time to get a deal ... so you gotta be careful when you do go in and start throwing numbers around. I've actually seen deals that are truly under cost just because the floor plan for the car is gone and they just need one more mark on the board to make it to the next bonus level. Fun stuff sometimes.

oh ... and spirited test drives are SO much fun with a sales guy with no clue!

Sorry i couldn't make it out Josh ... it is for the better as it's raining up here now.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:52 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

cool they let you drive the C/R
Old 12-30-2007, 11:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you where on a test drive with me in a new S and went into VTEC i will turn the key OFF . I know thet rule of the car for the breakin period and have turned 3 cars off .
Old 12-30-2007, 11:58 AM

come on josh, you know you want it. get the friggin CR!

btw, which dealer had a CR in stock? i haven't seen one in person yet.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JohnsS2000 ... did you let the PDI guys about that break-in period too?

It is nice to know there are conscious sales people out there. The majority treat new cars like rentals!
Old 12-30-2007, 01:23 PM

Received 1,122 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Tempted-but that nasty yellow stitching/fabric just kills the deal for me.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by zdave87,Dec 30 2007, 05:23 PM
Tempted-but that nasty yellow stitching/fabric just kills the deal for me.
just buy the suspension like i did and i will install it for you. the suspension parts cost a little less than $1500 including shipping.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:09 PM

That was a great idea Josh, so much so that I am going to Ferrari of Central Florida and play the same trick on them. I will let you know what sort of deal the dealer is willing to swing me on a year old F430. My report to follow tomorrow...
Old 12-30-2007, 02:50 PM

I really couldnt belive the guy let me drive it as hard as I did. He had no clue what he was talking about, He thought the cr had a bigger motor in it. I had to tell him what the CR was.

Ohh and Matt, I was going to tell you that your car didnt feel as oversprung as the CR did, Mabie I didnt notice it in yours but this one was really bouncy.

Dave, the seats are really bad in person. Only the sides are alcantara and the middle feels like cheap cloth.

Jay, I will join you at the ferrari dealer, mabie we can get a package deal.

Quick Reply: sunday fun when you are bored