Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Thefts out of hand!

Old 03-16-2008, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Thefts out of hand!

Ok Melissa and I have thought about it and we think the thefts and vandalisms have gotten out of hand.

we are suggesting that everyone do what they can to protect thier cars (seatlocks, alarms etc) and be as proactive as possible.

In keeping with that cause. I am going to suggest the following:

Never post publically your address or phone number or any information that spells out when and where you will away from your car.

If you plan an event or have a situation that calls for your information to be shared with anyone, please use the PM function

Posting meeting addresses is fine but everyone please be aware of suspicious vehicles or persons and be especially careful when returning home that you are not tailed.

for people without garages, please take steps to protect your vehicle. I know we are going to be making some serious changes in the days ahead.

This all sounds overly cautious but people are posting up stories left and right and we feel its time to be a bit more proactive in our fight to protect our vehicles.

Ideas and cautions are welcome.

I think we should start a sticky in each sub forum called "theft and suspicous activity" or something like that and have a convenient place to store all of our information concerning thefts and vehicle/people descriptions. Maybe we can corner a few of these turds.

let me know what you think.....
Old 03-16-2008, 06:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 03-16-2008, 07:08 PM

Good Idea Rob

Prevent Auto Theft
Old 03-17-2008, 04:36 AM

Sounds like a plan.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:58 AM

My car is garaged overnight and because of that I had not thouhgt about an alarm however in light of the increasing hits on this car I am seriously considering one.

Rob you seem very happy with your alarm (Viper if I recall correctly) do we know of a local shop who does a good job installing them in the S and is there any chance we could get a group buy/discount from them?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:38 AM

Old 03-17-2008, 05:45 AM

I'm getting mine done this week. Luckily I've got a friend who works at Sound Advice, so I am getting a pretty good deal. When I go on Thursday I will ask about the possibility of discounted pricing in quantity if there are a few of you interested. I know they carry Viper and Compustar, and I am not sure what else. I'm going for a Compustar 2-way with a proximity sensor, which I consider a must-have in a convertible.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mybrother has an Autopage alarm , Clifford and Viper have a similar one to each other that has the page that will alert you if you are within one mile of the car and the alarm is activated . There is a shop on dale mabry that installed his . Shp is called Buzz Off . The adress is going to be in the 8000 ish block of N Dale Mabry Hwy in Tampa . I am also looking into the Mobile Guardian setup that will automaticall activate a "lojack" type of setup and alert the police if the car is moved with an active alarm .
Old 03-17-2008, 05:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lojack has a sililar early alert system but it will call your cell number if the alarm is activated or the car is being moved , this would get yu an alert so that if the alarm is activated without your knowledge the cell phone call would let you know . I am working on a group rate on this to .
Old 03-17-2008, 06:18 AM

most car audo shops will do this type of install. I did mine years ago at StereoRama in clearwater. it was my first money mod on the car and it was literally 3 weeks after I took possesion of the car.

I am sure there are newer version of this level of alarm but what I also did was install some more elaborate lighting alerts so when the car is armed (especially at night) it says to everyone "I am fairly serious about my alarm" or "I just like flashy blue lights"

I am not sure which one...but I am sure the common thief tends to skip my car hopefully because of my overt declaration.

Quick Reply: Thefts out of hand!