Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

Thoughts on getting out of this traffic ticket....

Old 06-30-2012, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on getting out of this traffic ticket....

Quick story:

I'm in Lakeland, got a ticket by plane. Officer pulled me over said 85 in a a 70. Not sure if its true.... possible. The ticket was issues to a 2008 White Chevy w/ a different license plate number than what was on my car. I was in a different type of vehicle. It is obviously possible they pulled over the wrong vehicle after spotting me by plane. Should I drive back to Polk to fight this?

Thanks
Old 06-30-2012, 08:23 AM

take it to court and u will easily win..
Old 06-30-2012, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by slaberdy
take it to court and u will easily win..
yeah fight it..hire the ticket clinic for a no hassle win or show up yourself. I've heard that when it comes to radar by plane, they actually don't have your speed recorded, they just have two markers on the road, and if you pass the 2nd marker before the normal time it'd take doing the speed limit they know you are speeding.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:50 PM

Actually the aircraft or even hidden cop using a pre marked zone (usually painted lines across the road) use VASCAR to calculate your speed. It is actually very accurate and they get an actual speed. The zone (distance between the painted lines) is a pre determined distance and the cop starts the clock when you enter the zone and stops it when you exit the zone. The computer then calculates the time it took to travel the distance and shows your speed. People have always tried to beat it by saying it is subjective as the cop could stop the clock before the end of the zone to show a speeding penalty. This usually isn't a winning argument as the judge will usually defer to the cops judgement.

I would say you have an excellent shot at getting out of the ticket however you are going to have to make an appearance to do so. Hiring an attorney to represent you is easy and most effective however it will cost you ($100 to $200) so the question becomes is your time worth the attorney fees? Also if you go to court to represent yourself their are no guarantees you will be successful, I would say you have a better then average chance with an attorney at getting it thrown out.

Yes it will cost you one way or the other however for perspective weigh the cost of the ticket & increased insurance premiums against the attorney fees. I would call the attorney and just get it over with.

BTW on my last ticket, which was out of state (in Wisconsin in a rental car) I hired an attorney ($150), he stretched it out for over 9 months and my ticket was finally changed to improper registration. I was caught speeding via laser and was guilty, the attorney saved me the points and future insurance premiums. Worth every penny!

Good Luck!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:46 PM

It can't hurt to fight it, but be aware that you will spend half to most of your day sitting in a court room waiting and polk county judges are tough. I would just get a lawyer and move on. If you haven't taken a driver safety course, you could do that and have the points removed and just pay the fine. Believe it or not, taking the course and paying the fine are the easiest and cheapest way to get rid of the ticket. If you have already taken the course once this year, a good attorney should be able to get the judge to allow you to pay the fine and take the course. In the end, polk county is tough and they want your money.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:48 PM

It can't hurt to fight it, but be aware that you will spend half to most of your day sitting in a court room waiting and polk county judges are tough. I would just get a lawyer and move on. If you haven't taken a driver safety course, you could do that and have the points removed and just pay the fine. Believe it or not, taking the course and paying the fine are the easiest and cheapest way to get rid of the ticket. If you have already taken the course once this year, a good attorney should be able to get the judge to allow you to pay the fine and take the course. In the end, polk county is tough and they want your money. You could potentially get it thrown out, but that would really only be if the cop screws up somehow.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiggum
Quick story:

I'm in Lakeland, got a ticket by plane. Officer pulled me over said 85 in a a 70. Not sure if its true.... possible. The ticket was issues to a 2008 White Chevy w/ a different license plate number than what was on my car. I was in a different type of vehicle. It is obviously possible they pulled over the wrong vehicle after spotting me by plane. Should I drive back to Polk to fight this?

Thanks
inacurate tickets get dismissed. email keithwar@aol.com as he is a traffic lawyer. if you get a legit one he can help too
Old 07-02-2012, 03:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With the error on the ticket it should be throw out.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:33 AM

I got the same ticket in the same area with my STI, both me and my bother in law got one we were going 90 - 92 just cruising never pulled us over we just got them in the mail hired an traffic lawyer cost about $120 and both of our cases were dismissed. Polk county is reddiculous I don't drive through there during the day if I don't have to...
Old 07-23-2012, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Indyana
Actually the aircraft or even hidden cop using a pre marked zone (usually painted lines across the road) use VASCAR to calculate your speed. It is actually very accurate and they get an actual speed. The zone (distance between the painted lines) is a pre determined distance and the cop starts the clock when you enter the zone and stops it when you exit the zone. The computer then calculates the time it took to travel the distance and shows your speed. People have always tried to beat it by saying it is subjective as the cop could stop the clock before the end of the zone to show a speeding penalty. This usually isn't a winning argument as the judge will usually defer to the cops judgement.
Interesting...thank you for that information.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on getting out of this traffic ticket....