Gateway S2000 Owners Members for St. Louis MO and area.

Install Day - August 28th @11:00

Old 08-17-2004, 09:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like we'll be doing more than one tint job then - as I have the exact same job needing to be done myself. I already have pre-cut material for the side windows (just needs mounting) and the same static cling type stuff for the rear plastic window. Hopefully, I'll have the window all polished up/out prior to everyone's arrival.

If you've got tools for this job, please bring them. My dad's rule of thumb was always "every job is easy if you have the right tools". In my experience, I've found him to be pretty accurate!

Greg
Old 08-17-2004, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good deal! I have every plastic product available. However, I have this line of scratches that will not come out. It's no big deal because when I did my test tint you cannot see them. Howver, I would like to see if I could at least reduce them and try my PC on them. The problem is they are on the inside so it's going to be an akward polishing job. I'll bring:
Squeegees
Micro fiber towls
Plexus/polish/cleaner/plastix/blue magic
Scissors
Tint
303 cleaner/protectant
Glass cleaner
Old 08-17-2004, 01:15 PM
Community Organizer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by folex187,Aug 17 2004, 12:58 PM
Good deal! I have every plastic product available. However, I have this line of scratches that will not come out. It's no big deal because when I did my test tint you cannot see them. Howver, I would like to see if I could at least reduce them and try my PC on them. The problem is they are on the inside so it's going to be an akward polishing job. I'll bring:
Squeegees
Micro fiber towls
Plexus/polish/cleaner/plastix/blue magic
Scissors
Tint
303 cleaner/protectant
Glass cleaner
Inside scratches, even though awkward, are not to bad when your "Short". I stand on the seats (Bare Feet) and am the perfect size to get into that small space.
I think we can at least reduce the marks.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:18 AM

Have you ever tried your PC?? I tried it on the inside but I could not get on either side but the area I did do turned from horrible to "ok." I'd like to see if you could get in there with a grey or white pad and some plastic polish. I drove around today with my test tint in the sun and I noticed that it makes things kind of hard to see. I used the 20% and it wasn't so much the darkness but the blurriness. I think that might just be because I put it on wrong. Anyway I hope it turns out better with your help.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:29 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by folex187,Aug 18 2004, 02:18 AM
Have you ever tried your PC?? I tried it on the inside but I could not get on either side but the area I did do turned from horrible to "ok." I'd like to see if you could get in there with a grey or white pad and some plastic polish. I drove around today with my test tint in the sun and I noticed that it makes things kind of hard to see. I used the 20% and it wasn't so much the darkness but the blurriness. I think that might just be because I put it on wrong. Anyway I hope it turns out better with your help.
I use PC about 1/month. It takes about an hour, however, the window looks brand new when done. I know I can get in there without problem. Do both sides of my window without much difficulty.

Do a "Night" test with your tint. It may be to dark. If you find it difficult to see during the day, how difficult will it be at night? Before we go through the trouble of tinting the windows, make sure that you are able to see during day, night, dusk. Also do a test in direct sunlight.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:10 PM

I originally had it on at night and didn't have a problem with it. It seemed really blurry in the day time though which is kind of wierd. I think it could possibly be my install or the scratches on my window.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:07 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by folex187,Aug 21 2004, 06:10 PM
I originally had it on at night and didn't have a problem with it. It seemed really blurry in the day time though which is kind of wierd. I think it could possibly be my install or the scratches on my window.
Don't worry about the "blurriness". It goes away over time - about a week. When you install the film, your probably used glass cleaner to allow it to adhere to the window. The blurriness comes from the glass cleaner that is between the film and window. It just has not evaporated fully, giving you that blurry look. Kind of like opening your eyes under water. As it dries, you window will get clearer.

Where did you guys get your film? I may want to do my car as well next weekend.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lowe's

I believe that the roll I purchased will do (2) cars, if you're interested.

Greg
Old 08-23-2004, 09:49 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by hyedracyl,Aug 23 2004, 10:54 AM
Lowe's

I believe that the roll I purchased will do (2) cars, if you're interested.

Greg
Are you offering to split your roll? Yeah... I'm in. If not, let me know and I will pick some up before next weekend.

Is this film the static kind that will adhere to the back plastic window?
Old 08-23-2004, 03:44 PM

I got mine at walmart.

Quick Reply: Install Day - August 28th @11:00