Gateway S2000 Owners Members for St. Louis MO and area.

For those planning on running Gateway Sat.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Diz,Aug 23 2007, 09:24 PM
My buddy is coming in town this weekend he is a mechanical engineer that just graduated from Va Tech. Was the lead suspension leader on the formula team. We are pretty interested in coming out and watching. My head is way above that roll bar.
Cool, I graduated from MIT's FSAE program. We should talk shop. I have orientation for WashU on Saturday until 2:30, but maybe I'll try and make it out to Gateway afterwards for the tail end of the event.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nicks has 4 new gummies (now turning the right direction) and 8 Hawks on his side for tomorrow. Went for a ride, HEAT them pads up and they stop on a dime and pick it up, the dude knows how to work this car like a fine piece of @$$ (well u know!)
Old 08-24-2007, 09:52 PM
Diz

Formula Redline he got held up tonight and is still in Indy however he is coming in tomorow morn so we should be there later in the day. Hopefully we can meet up.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by P5744D,Aug 24 2007, 11:45 PM
Nicks has 4 new gummies (now turning the right direction) and 8 Hawks on his side for tomorrow. Went for a ride, HEAT them pads up and they stop on a dime and pick it up, the dude knows how to work this car like a fine piece of @$$ (well u know!)
Thanks for the help last night man, the brakes turned out to be the best mod to date. I was able to provoke ABS and ultimately threshold brake in every turn. I still have plenty of pad left and never the slightest hint of fade - truly amazing and worth every penny.

The tires were another story all together. These things are too much for the AP1 wheel, the sidewalls are too soft, and I may have also never dialed in the right pressures. It may have been a combination of thingslike the brakes allowing me to go deeper into corners, ultiamely going through 1 at 97mph only to find a "mushy" front tire on turn in. There was definately more grip, but very little comunication form the tire. Its not that big of a deal in lowspeed stuff, but going through the banking at 85-100mph gives me the feeling of not quite knowing what they're gonna do. Everywere else, increased grip over the Fuzions but with the penalty of numb response.

I don't think I will buy these again for a 16" wheel. Perhaps at 17 the sidewall will be narrow enough to stand up more to the rather extreme cornering loads this car can maintain on a circuit.

Good to see some S2ki peeps down there, thanks Mike for keep ing my s**t in your hospitality suite. I will post vids soon.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:56 AM

Videos?????
Old 08-26-2007, 01:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When Nick gets those videos available, I want to see them! The best time of the entire day was when I had Keith in the passengers seat and Nick following us. It was great! When traffic slowed us down a little so Nick could ride our rear bumper, I was having so much fun watching him in the rear view mirror(s) that I started making all sorts of "errors" - which was both fun (watching Nick trying to avoid hitting us), and quite entertaining. Just ask Keith, as he heard me commenting about it (amusingly) the whole time.

Unfortunately, when I pointed Nick around to follow him for a while, the session ended. Too bad really, as it would have been even more interesting to try and keep up with Nick while he was 'on a mission'. You guys should all come out for these things so everyone could have a good time like this! Stop polishing your car and start driving it!!!

It was great to share the day with you guys. Hope to do it again soon!

Greg
Old 08-27-2007, 12:32 PM

I decided last minute to take the S2000 out on the track. After a long night I just didn't want to deal with the hassle of getting to the track early, swapping wheels on the Prelude and I had to get out of there pretty quickly of a wedding shower later that night.

Any how it was a blast driving the S2000 around the track even though I was VERY conservative. It was much different driving a car that doesn't understeer as much as a FWD car like my Prelude. My last session, Nick rode out with me and I felt me comfortable on the oval and I actually started hitting the rev limiter just past the start/finish line (120mph+). Eventually, I had to lift before the heavy braking just before turning into turn 1.

Thanks to Greg and Nick for taking me out on the track and showing me with the S2000 is capable on the track. It was fun riding with Greg with Nick keeping up with us... it was VERY entertaining.

Also it was great to see Ray and Mike taking an interest and coming out to watch.

Thanks!

Keith
Old 08-27-2007, 03:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

120 at the start/finish line was better than I could manage. I was only going 115 at the S/F line. With my different gearing, maybe 5th runs out at a different spot? I'll bet I wasn't getting more than 120 before initiating braking for turn 1. Of course, with OEM brakes, I didn't feel the need to push it too severely either.

I didn't notice any troubles leaving the track, or yesterday for that matter, but I did notice a slight vibration in the brake pedal this morning. I'm going to have to put a dial indicator on each rotor to find the one(s) running out, and see how bad they are. I have a new set of front brake pads to install, so doing the brakes up front would be no big deal to me - especially if turning the rotors will true them up once again. They don't look bad!

Time for an oil change too. Hmm, I wonder if I should use that freebe from our car show! Better wait till I have the brakes fixed I suppose. Don't want to give them too many clues as to why I'm having rear brake pad problems (on pad set #3 right now, and the car has less than 20K miles).

Greg
Old 08-28-2007, 08:29 AM

I was actually watching the speeds for you and Nick on the oval/straightaway. You were at about 115-117 before hitting the brakes before turn 1. Nick was a couple mph less but after I suggested he took a different line in the oval, he gained another 4-5 mph and hit 120 mph before the brakes.

I'm not sure what was different about my technique or car but it could be that my car is lowered 1.8" and maybe the snorkel which could be worth a couple more mph and sooner...

You guys whip around the infield way faster than me but Nick did notice that I would take turn 1 at 94mph...

Keith
Old 08-28-2007, 11:29 AM

Yeah, Gregs line is a "start from higher up" type of line that gradualy cinches down to a late apex - correct me if Im wrong Greg. I had a tndancy to stay lower most of the way around, which is similar to your line, Keith, and this was more comfortable to me. Maybe there is more grip down there, or a sweeet spot for the inside tires. Cant say one is better, but I was very uncertain at that portion on the Hankooks, and that hindered me a bit but kept the car in one peice.

Wjen I get the vids up, you will see Greg take off on me almost exclusively at that part of the banking. I will be interested to see how we do next time assumning I have these tires figured out or some new ones. I am in Chicago right now and wil be back tomorow so expect them tomorow night or thurs.

Quick Reply: For those planning on running Gateway Sat.