Gateway S2000 Owners Members for St. Louis MO and area.

Tinting your windows

Old 08-30-2004, 06:40 AM
Community Organizer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tinting your windows

I thought I would start a new thread for our window tinting experience. I have heard some word back from the place where Greg got his tint. We will not be able to get a group discount, but will save on shipping charges for multiple orders sent to the same address. Here is his response:

Thank you, I only sell using Ebay and direct using Paypal. This product will not work on rear plastic windows. I can do the front doors for you at any shade and as far as discounts, the best I would be able to do is as follows. Each kit for the front doors would be $20.00 plus $7.00 shipping. If I ship multiple items to one address, each additional item would be $20.00 plus $3.00 shipping.

I'm going to order a set for myself. I'm looking for 35% smoked. Anyone else interested. Would like to place my order by Wednesday.

Greg... Could you please send some information on the tint we used on your back window. Please send manufacturer, tint shade (color), and % of darkness. I would probably prefer to go a couple of shades darker than what we installed on your car. Also... Would you be willing to share your role with others for a percentage of the cost of what you paid?
Old 08-30-2004, 06:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All things considered, $23 shipped isn't a bad deal now is it? Hopefully, there will be a few takers. After the rest see the effect, they'll probably do another purchase later.

The rear tint I used is "smoke" from Gila. As for sharing a portion of the roll that I bought, that's no problem. I can do that. I believe that one roll will do (4) cars, and the roll was probably $34 with tax from Lowes. Part number was CS78 and the film roll is a total of 3' wide by 6.5' long.

Greg
Old 09-01-2004, 09:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The rear tint seems to be holding up OK, but it doesn't seem to be de-blurring quite yet. Today is the car's second day out in the elements, so we'll see if the additional photons do the window film any good. The film also seems to have what almost appears as "lines" in it, as if they were created during the water squeege process using the "scraper" tool. I haven't been brave enough to lower the top quite yet either.

Greg
Old 09-01-2004, 10:56 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by hyedracyl,Sep 1 2004, 11:21 AM
The rear tint seems to be holding up OK, but it doesn't seem to be de-blurring quite yet. Today is the car's second day out in the elements, so we'll see if the additional photons do the window film any good. The film also seems to have what almost appears as "lines" in it, as if they were created during the water squeege process using the "scraper" tool. I haven't been brave enough to lower the top quite yet either.

Greg
Do your "lines" look like scratches? Hope not. We were really careful when we applied it. Run your fingernail over the line and see if you catch at the line. If not, then I'm hoping it's just soap residue and should come clean with some plexus.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:58 AM
Community Organizer

Anyone else interested in ordering tiniting for your sides. I would like to place the order today.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok here is my tint update. I have been pretty sick so I have not been driving but I had to go to class today which meant I had to drive. I left the house and I still had those snake looking bubbles and the blurriness had not cleared at all but I hoped a day in the sun would help that out. After a day of the car sitting in the sun I came back to find those snake bubbles a lot larger and had expanded outward to the edges. The blurriness never cleared up anyway so I carefully pulled it off and rolled it up tonight. It looks like Greg's tint will be the way to go.
Ok now the Comptech CAI-
At first I posted that I was undecided on it... After my commute today that is no longer the case. I LOVE IT. I don't know if my ECU had to relearn itself or what but I could feel the difference today all around. The bogginess in the low rpm disappeared and the car just seemed to drive better all around. I do miss the sound of the AEM though. Another thing I noticed was with my AEM if I had been driving for awhile in the heat and I had to stop and go the car really seemed to lose power and bog down. This is not the case with the Comptech. All in all I am very happy I made the switch I can live with less sound.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:22 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by folex187,Sep 1 2004, 07:22 PM
Ok here is my tint update. I have been pretty sick so I have not been driving but I had to go to class today which meant I had to drive. I left the house and I still had those snake looking bubbles and the blurriness had not cleared at all but I hoped a day in the sun would help that out. After a day of the car sitting in the sun I came back to find those snake bubbles a lot larger and had expanded outward to the edges. The blurriness never cleared up anyway so I carefully pulled it off and rolled it up tonight. It looks like Greg's tint will be the way to go.
Ok now the Comptech CAI-
At first I posted that I was undecided on it... After my commute today that is no longer the case. I LOVE IT. I don't know if my ECU had to relearn itself or what but I could feel the difference today all around. The bogginess in the low rpm disappeared and the car just seemed to drive better all around. I do miss the sound of the AEM though. Another thing I noticed was with my AEM if I had been driving for awhile in the heat and I had to stop and go the car really seemed to lose power and bog down. This is not the case with the Comptech. All in all I am very happy I made the switch I can live with less sound.
Bummer on the tint. on the Comptech. Did you get a chance to PM bill? He was having similar problems with his Comptech. Wonder if the ECU had enough time to recalibrate?
Old 09-01-2004, 06:25 PM

No I have not PM'd him yet I was hoping he would read this and post. Should I drop him a PM?
Old 09-01-2004, 06:27 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by folex187,Sep 1 2004, 08:25 PM
No I have not PM'd him yet I was hoping he would read this and post. Should I drop him a PM?
Just direct him to this link.
How are you feeling?
Old 09-01-2004, 06:47 PM

Will do. I'm feeling a lot better thank you for asking. Another thing I was just thinking about that might be a reason for the increased gain is this, when I first drove it after the install I did not hear any high pitched sucking like I did with the AEM. However, that noise was there today. I think that filter may have just taken a little time to "break in" to my car.

Quick Reply: Tinting your windows